Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2008, 08:47 PM

4,264 posts, read 9,275,556 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by okpondlady View Post
The "First Dude" apparently has won the Iron Dog competition 4x, works in the oil fields part time (last I heard he was out two weeks and home two weeks), plays Mr. Mom part time when he is home, is part Eskimo, met his wife in high school and eloped eight years later because the fishing was bad that year and they didn't have the money for a wedding (possibly he was bored?) I don't know just interjecting that part myself. Hosts tea for the former Alaskan First Ladies and judges the 2008 Miss Alaska Beauty Pageant. Took some classes but never finished his degree but learned oil business otj.
He said he wouldn't return to work at BP Oil if she were elected Governor but still did in 6 months because he said there was no conflict of interests. In a state like Alaska?? He took a nonmanagement position, that answers it all.
http://www.iht.com/articles/2008/09/03/america/dude.php
Will he be a stay at home dad? That would solve it all for me.

Since she is married to an Alaskan Native she has claimed to be specially interested in "Native Issues" and of course she is toting poor Trig around like a purse showing him off so she can get a shoe in with families with disabled children...
Native 'first dude' holds power : ICT [2008/09/05]
Personally I don't care who is taking care of her children, but I would think a resume like this would be rather distracting. Who is going to watch them while he is off on the oil field? Will he be going back to work? Apparently Mom was at work and so was he when Bristol was getting busy with her little trashy boyfriend. Someone has to mind the children. That is a basic fact. I don't know how she can push her Abstinence only BS and Pro-Life only BS when SHE hasn't been real successful at it. Well I guess she has at the Pro-Life one..but I would think she should have taught her daughter how to NOT get pregnant along with Abstinence. Supervision is a wonderful thing but I also know if and when young people are determined..it is going to happen. I don't know what her answer is, I don't have one.

I like Mr. McCain primarily because I think whoever IS the President needs to have military experience. They WILL be Commander In Chief..and running the US Military, weather we like it or not. I hope she knows what she is doing because if THEY are elected..she is ONE BREATH away from being President and our President will be 71. He will be the oldest President elected if he is elected. I don't think he made the best possible choice for a running mate. I will say though, MR. Palin seem to be very down to Earth, blue collar type person. That isn't necessarily a bad thing. On the other hand she seems to be more "silver spoon" kinda person. She was a runner up for Miss Alaska in 1984. She admits to smoking marijuana as a youth, but she didn't enjoy it so I guess that makes it ok... right? She moved around to several colleges before she went back to Idaho and graduated with a Bachelors of Science in Communication-Journalism in 1987 so she is qualified to write good speeches. She worked as a sports reporter in Anchorage for awhile in 1988 and in her husband's family fishing business before getting into politics. Who knows, it looks like she has been good for Alaska...maybe she will be good for the rest of us. Do you want to take that chance?

I did want to say in regards to his age and everyone having him dead before he can complete his term, that his Mother looked pretty good for 96 so at least that side of his genes has longevity. Senator Obama could have health problems that we don't know about also.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2008, 08:50 PM

4,264 posts, read 9,275,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okpondlady View Post
I honestly don't know. I decided if I couldn't vote for Hillary (who has her family raised and is in a situation where she CAN devote her time to the country...) that I would vote for McCain. Now he pulls this. I just don't know. Yes, this is a PR thing to get Hillary's Women Votes and NOT a particularly good thing.
I havn't heard much about Obama's running mate but apparently I will have to start digging. Would he make a good President if necessary? Whomever we decide to vote for the next Four will be interesting to watch. The country is in for some major changes...no matter who gets elected. Just remember some of our BEST Presidents were Vice-Presidents first.
Just remember that Mr Biden has been in D.C. alittle longer than Mr McCain has so he too has contributed to the problems our country now finds inself in.

Old 09-06-2008, 08:52 PM

697 posts, read 2,014,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 121804 View Post
Sorry, I didn't become a mom to prove a point or gain a title.

EVERY mom is a super mom.

What, she's all that more special b/c she has taken this route compared to maybe another woman who has the same set of circumstances & is not in the public eye?

Palin has CHOSEN to be in the public eye. She has CHOSEN to put her family in the spotlight. Her newborn did not ask to be put through the spectacle the media is creating. She is putting him in it.

I don't think she is any more special than any other woman.

If one wants to title "Supermoms", sorry, I can find a much better list than woman like Palin.

Let's not pretend like Palin doesn't have help such as nannies & probably has some of the best doctors taking care of her son. She's not a single mom doing it alone surviving on minimum wage.
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
Ah, now we see how well that "abstinance only" training worked in her family. Since she's so against teaching birth control, I have to wonder if her daughter knew how to prevent a pregnancy. And that boyfriend of hers - wow! What an upstanding citizen he is. Saw his Myspace page and he sure has a filthy mouth. What I see in this woman is hypocrisy - do as I tell you, not as my family does. Not to mention, why was she getting pregnant at her age? Surely she knew the risk of having a DS baby. I certainly wouldn't take that risk at that age.
Wow, there's a lot of bitterness here. I don't think she set out to become VP. And I don't think she is trying to be anything more than she is.

Why are you so hateful? Her daughter, and her daughter's boyfriend are not running for anything. They should be left out of things.

And women over 40 shouldn't have babies because there is risk??? There are thousands of women every year giving birth over the age of 40. Why pick on her???

I don't understand why you are so hateful of a woman who is a mother and happens to be VP pick. If she was a man, would you be so negative and hateful?? Men father babies all the time over the age of 40. Men have daughters who get pregnant at 17 as well.

Just what exactly is your problem?

Old 09-07-2008, 07:32 AM

3,842 posts, read 10,508,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 925mine View Post

I don't understand why you are so hateful of a woman who is a mother and happens to be VP pick. If she was a man, would you be so negative and hateful?? Men father babies all the time over the age of 40. Men have daughters who get pregnant at 17 as well.

Just what exactly is your problem?
Seems you are having a problem in intrepretation of what is being posted. It's been a very adult & polite conversation for over 6 pages.

I never stated anything about Palin getting pregnant over 40 & I specifically said that she needs to be judged on what she can do as VP but her extreme family issues AT THIS CURRENT TIME are something that need to be considered.

I specifically said that her daughter cannot be JUDGED for getting pregnant. But guess what, she is pregnant & she is a teenager. Plain & simple.

Nothing has been stated about is this was a man b/c Palin b/c the REALITY is that she is a working mom with a pregnant teenage daughter who's baby daddy dropped out of hs, a son about to go Iraq, and a infant with a very serious mental, emotional, physical, and learning challenge.

It is what it is.

"Hateful"? That's extreme. Do you know her personally to take what is written personally?

She's in the pulbic eye as a politican. Every knook & cranny of Palin will be pulled up b/c she is NEW. People don't know squat about her but since she CHOOSES to put her 4 month old in front of the cameras at 11pm at night in a conference center of cheering people, she is going to be judged. Just the same as if she would have kept him in the back.

It's politics. To take it personally is not very healthy or good for one's health.

Instead of acting all hurt, maybe provide some actual facts or issues about Palin that put her in a good light.

I, along with many other posters, have said in THIS post that we are on the fence on who to vote for.

If Palin can convince (and that's all she really needs to do b/c it's about perception) voters that the next 4 yrs are not going to be ANYTHING like the last 8 & if she stops using her family as a photo op of "Look, see, we are just as normal as you" crap (which the other side sickenly does also), voters will take her seriously.

She has a lot of work the next few weeks. If she can pull it off, she may just be the next VP & may it be a good thing for this country. This country needs help from it politicans & hopefully whoever wins will start to fix the absolute mess the last admin is leaving behind.

McCain brought her in to reel in HIllary voters who are a very large number. But McCain did not bring in a Hillary. He brought in a woman with very real & very serious current family problems with YOUNG children.

So, what do YOU have to offer about Palin other than hurt feelings about what is being written?

Last edited by 121804; 09-07-2008 at 07:47 AM..

Old 09-07-2008, 07:53 AM

121804, You seem very bitter. I'm sure Palin didn't become a mom with the intent of showing the country how 'super' she is by being a politician as well. I'm sure that 20 years ago, she didn't predict being approached to be a running mate to represent the country as Vice President.

Perhaps your children are perfect and you see hers as not. Perhaps you're doing your best and so is she. Perhaps we, as women become mothers for as many reasons as there are people.

Look at John and Caroline Kennedy. They weren't 'THRUST' into the public eye? How much criticism did Jackie receive for supporting her husband in the presidency and still have small children??? Amy Carter was a very little girl when her father became president. Where was the criticism???

My bet is that Sarah Palin was almost as surprised to be running with McCain, as we are to see her there. Being excessively scrutinized is not a choice she has made. Serving the country is.

Obama is running for a higher office than Sarah Palin and he has two very young children being 'thrust' into the public eye. Why isn't HE being condemned? Oh, he's a man. Only women aren't supposed to move upward. When we CHOOSE to be mothers, we are supposed to keep our places and stay in the shadows.

COME ON.

Old 09-07-2008, 07:57 AM

Oh, and by the way, I didn't know this was a private thread. My mistake.

Old 09-07-2008, 08:02 AM

4,253 posts, read 9,449,299 times
I am confused as to why Sarah Paulin is called " a mom with 5 children". Shouldn't she be called a mom with 3 children? The two oldest are adults (well, the 17 years old will turn 18 sooner or later, and she will have her own family sooner than later).

Old 09-07-2008, 08:26 AM

1,820 posts, read 4,491,182 times
She is still a mom to 5 children, regardless how old they are. I am in my 40's, so are my siblings, my parents are STILL parents to 4 children; regardless.
(not that this has anything to do with the actual subject of this thread, just responding to the above..).

Old 09-07-2008, 08:36 AM

4,253 posts, read 9,449,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYMD67 View Post
She is still a mom to 5 children, regardless how old they are. I am in my 40's, so are my siblings, my parents are STILL parents to 4 children; regardless.
(not that this has anything to do with the actual subject of this thread, just responding to the above..).

What I meant, was that people are wondering "how she will juggle all of her responsibilities with 5 children". It sounds like she has 5 children under 12 at home. I think 2 of them are out of her juggling. She will be a parent to all of them for life, of course.

Old 09-07-2008, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYMD67 View Post

Funny. John McCain is still a child to his mother. Doesn't stop him from running for president. Obama is still a child to HIS parent, doesn't stop HIM from running for president.

Just because we are all still children of our parents, doesn't stop us from being responsible adults and taking care of business.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting