U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-22-2012, 11:00 AM

21,278 posts, read 19,330,844 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave5150 View Post
I dont like the idea of waking children up in the morning, if you dont have to. If they are asleep then they need the sleep. Other than that, when my son was 2 he still took a 2 hr nap everyday but we through trial and error figured out at what time he had to be awake in order to be asleep at the right time. He couldnt sleep a minute past 630 or he wasnt tired for bed. But if we didnt give him a nap and we were in the car anytime between 6-730, he would automatically go to sleep.
I can't remember if you have school-aged children. I have let my oldest sleep as late as she wants, and she will literally not wake up until 1 or 2 in the afternoon. I usually don't have the patience.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2012, 11:06 AM

749 posts, read 1,093,308 times
I agree, what time he is waking up from his nap is probably key. My 4yo still takes naps, if he doesn't he will be asleep in the car if we go anywhere after 4pm or he will just be a bear. I don't let him sleep past 3:30 in the afternoon and he goes to bed at 8:30.

There is nothing wrong with not giving your child a nap, if they don't need one. If he/she can go all day great but if not maybe just make sure they are not sleeping too late in the day.

Old 03-22-2012, 11:11 AM

870 posts, read 690,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
I can't remember if you have school-aged children. I have let my oldest sleep as late as she wants, and she will literally not wake up until 1 or 2 in the afternoon. I usually don't have the patience.
Should have qualified- I mean small children. I enjoy my alone time as much as the next parent but a SAHM who doesnt have a school or daycare schedule to keep shouldnt wake up a child at 7 am, IMO just so they can take a nap in the afternoon and still go to bed at 7. My sons bedtime is 830. It has been between 830 and 9 since he weaned. And he sleeps until 830 or 9 everyday. He is a good sleeper. He eats dinner with us as a family, always has and then has plenty of time to spend with daddy after dinner, instead of eating and bath and right to bed because bedtime is 7 pm..

Old 03-22-2012, 11:36 AM

12,321 posts, read 12,056,693 times
It really depends on the child, I have 3 sons and one of my sons could nap till the cows came home, plus still sleep at night, ( my dream child)

not so much the the two.

Till this day, he is still a sleepier, and the other two are bouncing off the walls.

Old 03-22-2012, 02:03 PM

124 posts, read 87,395 times
Well, DD naps every day for an hour, and she's usually in bed and asleep by 8:30. BUT, if she naps after 2:00, she can't fall asleep at the right time at night and it throws her off. DS, on the other hand, only naps on weekends at around noon (because he's in school). He goes to bed around 8:30 or 9.

If your child sleeps fine at night and doesn't get overtired during the day, I think he's fine without a nap.

Old 03-23-2012, 11:40 AM

9,717 posts, read 6,985,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redwine View Post
My 2 year old boy usually take a 2 hour nap during the days. But then at night he wont go to sleep until closer to 10.00 or 11.00 PM after a lot of struggle. I think that's way to late. I have the last few days not put him down for a nap at all during the day and he was sleeping for the night by 8.00 pm without struggle. Is it ok not to nap your child?
Definately it's OK redwine....and it seems to be working well for you...don't give it a second thought....oops! I guess OPs child is about 6 now...oh well

Old 03-23-2012, 01:47 PM

21,278 posts, read 19,330,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave5150 View Post
Should have qualified- I mean small children. I enjoy my alone time as much as the next parent but a SAHM who doesnt have a school or daycare schedule to keep shouldnt wake up a child at 7 am, IMO just so they can take a nap in the afternoon and still go to bed at 7. My sons bedtime is 830. It has been between 830 and 9 since he weaned. And he sleeps until 830 or 9 everyday. He is a good sleeper. He eats dinner with us as a family, always has and then has plenty of time to spend with daddy after dinner, instead of eating and bath and right to bed because bedtime is 7 pm..
Oh, I see. I think this is fine. If a family generally keeps a different schedule (early to bed/rise, or the opposite), I don't see anything wrong with that.

Old 03-24-2012, 10:13 AM

2,447 posts, read 2,198,611 times
It sounds like he's possibly over tired.

my 15 month son sleeps 13 hours over night and 3 hours nap in the day (2 naps, 1 is 2 hours, the 2nd is 1 hour). The average sleep til 18 months is 14 hours, so he does sleep a little more than average, but I'm A-OK with that
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting