U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2008, 03:32 PM

1,919 posts, read 5,492,009 times
Once in a while, by mistake, like if I hurt myself, I do curse. It is as another poster said, do as I say, not as I do They know not to.

My two boys- 8 and 13, know curses. Unfortunately, even PG movies have the B word and the SH word...PG-13 are allowed to drop one F bomb.

I'm a teacher, and in class, have had to deal with children making the F word or the SH word when we are dealing with word families...and we get over it. (unless they were like one child who constantly spelled the word, after knowing it was a curse word). It's kinda funny when someone goes to write the word "shirt" and leave out the "r"....then I make them slow down, and re-read what they wrote....and they always then read it as they wrote it...and catch that they need that "r"

I have a 3 year old nephew whose parents admit that they say the "f" word or "sh" word or "jesus chr*st" in front on him. They laugh and brag about how he says it and even uses it in the right context, and how it is so cute! Of course I argue slightly (not my child, so I don't get involved really)....but they just laugh so I just say how he'll get in trouble if he's still like that in 2 years for Kindergarten...but then I just drop it as it really isn't any of my business
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2008, 05:32 PM

641 posts, read 1,576,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shellytc View Post
I'm sorry. I completely disagree. Profanity is used when the speaker doesn't have the education or ability to use other words. Vocabulary is learned. Profanity is just ignorance at it's highest degree. You can choose to express yourself with words other than profanity... and get much more respect and actually able to truly describe your venting : ) Make vocabulary a priority!!

Shelly
I know people with Masters degrees that swear on a regular basis, which means your argument is inaccurate.

Old 09-09-2008, 06:19 PM

20 posts, read 51,116 times
My four year old has said "hell" and "damn" before, but I suppose because my fiance and I might have accidentally said it around him. We immediately had to explain that they were bad words. He also gets in trouble for words like stupid and dumb. We don't allow him to say any curse words or derogatory things about anyone.

We were at our community lake a couple weeks ago and this group of mid-teeny boppers were swearing away. About 5 boys and a couple of girls. They not only were vursing, but also saying very inappropriate things very loudly. I got so frustrated because I wasn't the only one with a child there. There had to have been at least 15 young ones at the lake. I had my little one sit on the grass about 20 feet away, and went up to the group. Obviously I was very irritated. I told them that they either needed to quiet their voices way down in a place with this many kids or I would get them banned from the park. Of course they rolled their eyes and made rude gestures as soon I walked away, but they hushed down to barely above a whisper.

I can't ask people to change how they want to speak. But you bet I will get onto them about having disrespect for every single person around them.

Old 09-09-2008, 08:34 PM

589 posts, read 1,035,897 times
My brother-in-law and other family members start rolling on the floor when they discuss my restraint. I'm not perfect but I have my euphemisms that I try to use!

For example: One night I dropped an entire bowl of pasta with tomato sauce in our carpeted dining area. I knocked it right out of my hand! I screamed, quite loudly...... SUGAR! hahahahahaha Usually I say 'sugar pops'. My children know that words like 'stupid' are not appropriate. They are also not allowed to say 'shut up'.

That said, I heard this tonight at a Parenting seminar at my youngest's preschool. Four year old children, especially, are fond of Potty Mouth. They usually don't know what the word means at all and are saying it for the shock value - as I mentioned in my earlier post on this topic. In any case, there was a preschool teacher who had a child in the room that was using Potty Mouth words. She told him that the words were to be used in the toilet only. She took him in to the bathroom and told him he could say the words all he wanted to the toilet. LOL He said them numerous times into the toilet and then said, "I'm done." He never said them again.

While no child should disrespect a parent or an adult, for that matter, it is possible that the child is asserting his/her control by putting the adults out of control when they hear the words.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting