Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2008, 08:48 AM

2,542 posts, read 6,914,481 times

Advertisements

Alright, I hate all those cheap toys that either break right away or get forgotten about right away. I'm not expecting the parents to dish out a lot of money to get more quality toys, though. Plus, even $10 toys start to add up if a family has a lot of birthday parties to attend throughout the year.

So... I was thinking about asking the friends to bring a present they made: a picture they drew, a homemade frame around a photo of them, etc. To me, it is much more in the spirit of giving. However, I don't know how that parents would feel.

How would you feel if your 5 or 6 year old came home with an invite requesting only simple, handmade presents? Would you feel it was too much of a burden on you?

Thanks for any insight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2008, 09:01 AM

1,156 posts, read 3,749,849 times
Its a lovely notion, but I wonder if there is a good way to covney the idea.

I think the trouble here is putting any sort of rider on the gift to be given. You can set the theme of the party - but your guests ultimately should have the choice of how to gift-give.

Some families stockpile small gifts for situations such as these - others have time constraints. Also, some children are not especially artistic and it can be hard to create something they feel good about. I know my boys often do homemade cards (because we forget to buy them! LOL) but they don't really get into doing it and it looks kid of slap-dash.

Also, in your circles, is it typical to open presents at the party? Are you envisioning on opening the homemade items in front of everyone?

If its a small party, maybe explain your thoughts in person to the other parents. If its a bigger group - I think it will be hard not to make someone feel put out.

Old 09-10-2008, 09:56 AM

3,681 posts, read 6,273,349 times
Default Another idea...

I tend to agree with the above poster. I, personally, would feel it was a "burden." Sorry, but we are so busy these days, that the homemade stuff needs to be reserved for family; i.e., those who will truly treasure it. I wish it could be different but in reality its not. Another idea, which my dd is planning for her next b-day party, is to have the kids each bring a small doggie treat; i. e a tennis ball, chew toy, etc. which will all be donated to a local animal shelter. DD and most kids her age (9) are really into puppies and she will be having a puppy party, too. Solves the problem of the expense and what to do with all the "gifts they don't need!" Good Luch with whatever you decide and Happy Birthday!

Old 09-10-2008, 10:09 AM

2,542 posts, read 6,914,481 times
I originally thought of presents for the shelter, but my husband vetoed it... I also thought it would be great to bring presents for Toys For Tots, since his birthday is a little over a month before Christmas.

He has three out-of-school friends, which I don't think the whole homemade present would be a problem--I think two families would think it was a great idea, and the other family would probably, too, plus it would help them financially. However, I am envisioning inviting some classmates, whose parents/family life I don't know.

You guys are confirming my lurking suspicions. Oh well, back to the drawing board. Anyone else with some good ideas to do instead of the standard present? I might propose the shelter idea again--but this time directly to my son. He loves animals and recently adopted a cat from a shelter, so the time might be ripe for it.

Old 09-10-2008, 10:12 AM

2,825 posts, read 6,924,677 times
I think it's a nice idea, and in my circles I think it would be accepted. We were invited to a party last year where the invite specified something like "no gifts made in China please". It was somewhat of a challenge, and I couldn't find ANYthing in the toy department of Target and had to go to another store. But I did not feel that it was an unreasonable request.

Old 09-10-2008, 10:57 AM

1,820 posts, read 4,491,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADVentive View Post
I think it's a nice idea, and in my circles I think it would be accepted. We were invited to a party last year where the invite specified something like "no gifts made in China please". It was somewhat of a challenge, and I couldn't find ANYthing in the toy department of Target and had to go to another store. But I did not feel that it was an unreasonable request.

I think that it is a GREAT idea and think or know 100% that people around here would embrace that! We have already told our girls that the bday parties with gifts for them are going to stop at a certain age and we will do something where people are asked to bring something for a shelter,etc... I don't think I would feel that it was a burden at all to have to make something to bring, I think it is showing the kids that everything doesn't have to be materialistic.
As for the above-"no gifts made in China please", THAT is asking to much from people and it is ridiculous. There are many,many things NOT made in China that are just as dangerous or not good for our children as the issues with things made in China.
At that point, I would have just given them a gift card and they could find their own things not made in China. Give me a break.

Old 09-10-2008, 11:05 AM

1,156 posts, read 3,749,849 times
Another idea - tell the parents you're going to "create his birthday present" at the party. Then you could all the kids make one big fill-in-the-blank project and it could me a memory of the birthday for a long time. Maybe it could be something to decorate his room, or for the yard, or a house for his new pet?

A few years a go we did a game where we took a couple of those blank puzzle-cards that you find at the craft stores, and wrote "Happy Birthday" on the front side, and then broke the card up into its pieces and buried it in tray of clean sand. We did this 2-3 times and split the kids into teams. Then they had to fish out the puzzle pieces, put them together, and the winners got a piece of candy or something. But then, we had all the kids sign the back of the cards, so it was a memento. Unfortunately, I didn't tape/shellac the things together in time and it was ultimately scattered to the corners of our yard...but anyway - you get the idea.

Old 09-10-2008, 01:29 PM

909 posts, read 3,363,247 times
Unless I were a crafty sort of person I might feel some burden. Heck, I'm a somewhat crafty person, and I'd still feel the burden, because crafty people can never resist the urge to come up with a project that takes time and energy. However, since you mentioned a photo in a frame, would it be acceptable if a guest brought a picture they took in a bought frame?

Old 09-10-2008, 01:32 PM

909 posts, read 3,363,247 times
Just wanted to say that bringing gifts for an animal shelter is awesome, and if your son really goes for it, how can your husband object? I assume you both will give him a gift already, so does he really need a bunch more, even if the day is all about him?

Old 09-10-2008, 02:05 PM

841 posts, read 4,839,226 times
As a parent, I would love that kind of invitation. It's very charming and I think my boys would get a kick out of making something heartfelt.
I think it's a great idea, and a great way to convey what birthdays are really about...being with friends, love, and having fun.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting