Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2008, 09:04 AM

7,672 posts, read 12,822,090 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 121804 View Post

Lacrosse is a great team sport as well an individual sport. Why are you already projecting that he may not be good at it? If he is showing interest in wanting to be part of something, encourage it. Maybe he'll be awful at it or maybe he'll thrive. No one will know unless he tries. Never take that from a child.
If he is a person who has habitually wanted to start something & never follows through, well, that's a different story.
But just sounds like he wants to be part of something & try it out. Yeah, gonna cost you some money. Kids cost money.
Oh I don't think that he won't be good at it. It is just that he isn't ummm active and this will be his very first ever sport he is going to be in. He got winded playing paintball with hubby when it was 85 degrees outside. He always has been indoors and rarely played outside as a child or now as a teen.

I know he wants very badly to be accepted and thinks that being in a sport will be "cool". I just don't want him to quit because it is too physical etc. That is my main concern. And no none of this was said to him at all.

We are going to go ahead and do it. I am making my rounds today at the play it again sports and dick's sporting goods to see what deals I can get.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2008, 09:25 AM

3,842 posts, read 10,512,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momtothree View Post
Oh I don't think that he won't be good at it. It is just that he isn't ummm active and this will be his very first ever sport he is going to be in. He got winded playing paintball with hubby when it was 85 degrees outside. He always has been indoors and rarely played outside as a child or now as a teen.

I know he wants very badly to be accepted and thinks that being in a sport will be "cool". I just don't want him to quit because it is too physical etc. That is my main concern. And no none of this was said to him at all.

We are going to go ahead and do it. I am making my rounds today at the play it again sports and dick's sporting goods to see what deals I can get.
I hope you can find some good second hand stuff that won't cost a fortune.
Or maybe Dick's has a sale going on.

What you are doing for him, by at least showing support in his interest, is helpful. You are helping him have the courage to try.

Hopefully you are able to talk to him about the responsibility of joining a team & that some of it sinks in seeing that he is a teenager after all.

Good luck. I hope it works out or at least introduces him to a nice group of kids. I found a great outlet being in lacrosse, which I played through college, & made very nice friends from it. I can't help but get excited when I read others showing interest.

Old 09-17-2008, 09:52 AM

4,564 posts, read 10,954,864 times
Well, if you are concerned he might quit, just stress to him that you are more than willing to be supportive and do what you have to do in order for him to play - but in return, since you are making the commitment to him, you expect him to make a commitment as well - that if he starts he can't quit part way through. He at least has to finish the season. That at least will make him really give it some thought.

But if he does it and loves it - how wonderful will that be! Especially if he is normally not very active.

Old 09-17-2008, 11:04 AM

1,036 posts, read 3,069,466 times
Default Girl Scouts as a hobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolagranola View Post
Yay GS! GS is something that just gets cooler as girls get older. I wish there were a troop for my teenage daughter here. She went to two camps this summer, and hasn't stopped talking about the GS one....I'd like to send her to more than one GS camp next summer...but without cookies we have to foot the whole bill (no troop=no cookie sales). Besides the camp though, GS is GREAT bang for the buck!!

So start your own troop!!!!!! That is what I did. My daughters got bumped from troop to troop in our town because we weren't "one of the good people" and guess what? Now EVERYONE wants to join one of my 4 troops because we do EVERYTHING. If you want to pm me I will help you get in contact with a council and possibly they can help you find a troop. This has turned into much more than THEIR activity, it is my hobby too.
Camp is expensive but they love it so much. My youngest took Horse camp this year cost us $300 but she had $200 in cookie credit so I can do that. It was a 6 day camp. My oldest has been to 2 week camps for the last several years and they are about $300 also. She went to one about CSI Crime Scene Investigators this year. Next year she is considering working in the kitchen for the summer to work her way through two camps for Councellor in Training. I am excited for her. I think that is a VERY good idea.

Old 09-17-2008, 11:51 AM

2,091 posts, read 9,048,239 times
Team sports can be terrific!! My little one does gymnastics, and we are fortunate to be going through a boys and girls club for it. Cuts WAY down on costs!!!! we have
monthly tuition-95.00month
annual team fee-100.00yr
meet fees - 65-100.00per meet (ave. 5meets a season, 2 seasons a year)
gas/travel fees, ave. 150.00per meet
competition leo - 40.00
warm ups - 60.00set.
us gymnastics reg. fee - 60.00yr
thats most of it, plus practice leos stuff like that. I know we're getting away w/way less than many people. I was at a gym before that for the same level, same amount of time it was 200.00month, 1800.00yr team fee, their leos were new each and every season and were 150.00each, warm ups 150.00, and ave. meet fees were 100.00, and they traveled out of state so add in airline fees and such. ugh....
Camp is going to wait til she is a higher level. She does local camp here, and thats 250.00a week. The one she wants to go to, (that grandma said she'd send her to if/when she gets to a certain level) is currently 800.00for a week
Team sports can be spendy, but again, are so darn worth it!!! My daughter is getting some terrific life experience from this thats well worth the costs!!!
I would however make sure there is a definate commitement for at least a full season. Teaches bad values too if you let them quit a team sport part way through, not to mention letting the entire team down when you do that!
Best of luck to you!!
Tiffany

Old 09-17-2008, 01:33 PM

1,458 posts, read 4,132,872 times
Quote:
Team sports can be spendy, but again, are so darn worth it!!!
Agree...I don't want to over-schedule my kids' lives, but I DO want them to be involved in the world outside of our home. Being involved in an activity means they have something "to do" besides roaming the neighborhood or playing video games at least one afternoon a week. Often they have some sort of homework (working out, reading, planning) associated with it (that *I* don't have to stress over). And they have something of their own to be responsible for.

Quote:
So start your own troop!!!!!! That is what I did.
I did this once, before I moved. It is alot of work... but I would if there were another adult at least as involved as I was. My D is 14, it is hard to get girls that age involved if it is new for them. I did tell the council I could co-lead a young troop too, with no response (did this several times). Part of the problem is where I live, most girls are involved with their church's youth programs, and think GS is more of the same (they use BS for the boy youth program).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting