U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-19-2008, 04:35 PM
 
Location: Phoenix, AZ
4,784 posts, read 4,388,263 times
Reputation: 1599

Advertisements

Borzoi Reader | Catalog | The Language Police by Diane Ravitch



This kind of censorship must stop!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-19-2008, 05:14 PM
 
698 posts, read 1,320,973 times
Reputation: 345
That's ridiculous. I don't think people would be so offended by 'women being depicted as caregivers', etc., if they weren't told they should be. Things have been taken way too far.

I had my daughter read Catcher in the Rye and Lord of the Flies in 5th grade (homeschooling) and she loved both. In fact, she has an extremely strong interest in psychology and read Lord of the Flies 3 times.

Local libraries have lists of banned books, but have them in the library. The can be read by anybody.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-19-2008, 05:20 PM
 
3,191 posts, read 5,703,011 times
Reputation: 2083
Looks like an excellent read. IMO our society has gone over the top when it comes to politically correctedness. (In the good ole days you could tell Johnny he was stupid, and he and his parents either got with the program and got serious about education, or he sank.And life went on...) When it comes to reading, you become stronger yourself when you read about issues and times that have past...we learn from history. We learn what makes us human. Oh I am a great proponent of reading...even to the point of reading a lot of stuff I do not agree with. But that only reinforces that which I do beleive in. If you don't know what to be against, then what shall you be for???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-19-2008, 05:53 PM
 
Location: Maine
650 posts, read 1,433,584 times
Reputation: 542
Thank God that we homeschool.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-19-2008, 06:06 PM
 
Location: Phoenix, AZ
4,784 posts, read 4,388,263 times
Reputation: 1599
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyma View Post
Looks like an excellent read. IMO our society has gone over the top when it comes to politically correctedness. (In the good ole days you could tell Johnny he was stupid, and he and his parents either got with the program and got serious about education, or he sank.And life went on...) When it comes to reading, you become stronger yourself when you read about issues and times that have past...we learn from history. We learn what makes us human. Oh I am a great proponent of reading...even to the point of reading a lot of stuff I do not agree with. But that only reinforces that which I do beleive in. If you don't know what to be against, then what shall you be for???
Exactly! School districts whitewash anything of interest to kids, and kids never get interested in anything because its soooo boring to them
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-19-2008, 07:36 PM
 
698 posts, read 1,320,973 times
Reputation: 345
Quote:
Originally Posted by ELOrocks17 View Post
Exactly! School districts whitewash anything of interest to kids, and kids never get interested in anything because its soooo boring to them
But that's the direction society has gone in for years now. People over-explain to kids, over-compensate for any deficit (in EVERY way), over monitor, etc.. Things kids say to other kids are scrutinized, criticized, disected for hidden meanings and possible deep seated psychological trauma. Kids seldom, if ever go outside and invent games, climb trees, fight with each other. Kids are constantly being told how they should feel, how they should think and what to say.

Is it any surprise that kids live in a sterile environment for the most part? This includes what they are allowed to read.

Mothers sterilize their houses, their children, their surroundings. Does it surprise you that they sterilize what they read as well?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-24-2008, 03:22 PM
 
Location: Phoenix, AZ
4,784 posts, read 4,388,263 times
Reputation: 1599
Quote:
Originally Posted by 925mine View Post
But that's the direction society has gone in for years now. People over-explain to kids, over-compensate for any deficit (in EVERY way), over monitor, etc.. Things kids say to other kids are scrutinized, criticized, disected for hidden meanings and possible deep seated psychological trauma. Kids seldom, if ever go outside and invent games, climb trees, fight with each other. Kids are constantly being told how they should feel, how they should think and what to say.

Is it any surprise that kids live in a sterile environment for the most part? This includes what they are allowed to read.

Mothers sterilize their houses, their children, their surroundings. Does it surprise you that they sterilize what they read as well?
Yeah---and when these kids get out in the real world and face adversity for the first time? Then what?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-24-2008, 06:39 PM
 
3,191 posts, read 5,703,011 times
Reputation: 2083
Thenwhat? Well for starters, that sense of entitlement is gonna get a doozy of a wake up call!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-25-2008, 09:33 AM
 
5,343 posts, read 9,265,867 times
Reputation: 1136
I really think all parenst should read Gavin DeBecker's Protecting the Gift, but that's just me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-25-2008, 03:16 PM
 
Location: Phoenix, AZ
4,784 posts, read 4,388,263 times
Reputation: 1599
Quote:
Originally Posted by EEEPNJ View Post
I really think all parenst should read Gavin DeBecker's Protecting the Gift, but that's just me.

Why? What is that book about?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:36 PM.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top