Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2008, 07:26 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,734,689 times

Advertisements

My son is now eight years old, and I was really hoping he would grow out of his anxiety issues. Our old pediatrician said not to worry, but I really think it is more.

Before his little sister was born, he was a very outgoing child, would eat anything, try anything and loved being aroud people. After she was born he started having (just my opinion here) anxiety attacks.

He wouldn't let anyone he didn't know near him and he would FREAK out. He stopped going to birthday parties, he said it was too much, too many people. And he stopped eating different foods, will only eat certain things.

He has grown out of some of it. He is now just shy in situations instead of anxious, he fine with birthday parties and being around people for the most part.

Today he just flipped, about taking medicine. He was shaking and crying, and just couldn't decide to take it or not. He didn't like the taste or texture, and it was more than difficult to get him to drink it. I felt for him, it to a half hour to drink it and was shaking. He said his mind was going crazy when he had to do things like this.

He is like that with all food now. He won't eat anything new, try anything without having a panic attack. He eats so few foods it makes everything difficult. My girlfriend told me she had to help her son with food therapy, but of course he was much younger.

Anywho... too late for a long story short. I am concerned for my son having such high anxiety over issues at such a young age.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2008, 09:09 PM

3,663 posts, read 8,662,358 times
He will outgrow it. I have a 10 year son who was having alot of anxiety around that age. I was very worried about him but I too have had bouts of anxiety when I was younger. It goes away, they need extra reassurance that everything is going to be ok. Once you reassure them, change the subject as soon as you can. Get their minds off of what they are worrying about and keep them busy when their anxiety is flaring up. You will know when they are having concerns, their behavior changes, they tend to just sit and think and worry. My son is now as carefree as he used to be. Thank God. It lasted for about a year and a half and he worried about EVERYTHING. Foods, medication, weather, "bad things". It can be very consuming when you start to panic. I know, I have dealt with my own anxiety. The less you dwell on it, the better he will be at overcoming the issue. As nervous as you are, believe me he feels worse. Anxiety is one of the worst feelings you could ever experience. Sitting around with nothing to do gives them more time to worry so I tried to keep him occupied as much as I could.

Old 09-20-2008, 10:53 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,698,048 times
My daughter, almost 10, has recently had some anxiety, but not as severe as you have described. I took her to see a therapist who had experience in childhood anxiety and she has also talked to her school counselor a couple of times. It was helpful to all of us and reassuring to her to know that we took her problem seriously. She's feeling much better now.

If you can, I recommend talking to a professional about what is going on with him.

Old 09-21-2008, 05:02 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,282,830 times
I would have him evaluated for sensory integration issues. His anxiety sounds very much like kids with sensory issues. Often the Physical or Occupational Therapist at your school will have experience with this. See of you can make an appointment.

Old 09-21-2008, 08:14 AM

396 posts, read 971,917 times
I can relate. My now 8 y/o son was diagnosed with "severe anxiety not typical of a child" when he was 3 1/2 y/o. It has been a long road but he has made significant improvements but we still struggle with new things.

Old 09-21-2008, 03:33 PM

3,191 posts, read 9,180,895 times
Oh your dear son...what a tough thing for one so young. Mom, can you talk to his doc or the counselor at school, and see what help may be available for him, and the parents/family? i think a support system of sorts would be a good idea for all of you, as you figure out how to best help him. Good luck.

Old 09-21-2008, 03:40 PM

1,492 posts, read 7,712,103 times
I'm not advocating this.... so don't flame me!

My youngest daughter had an anxiety issue and her hair even started falling out. I gave it some thought, long and hard....and after a while....I started using corporal punishment and didn't tolerate those "anxiety attacks". I sent her to her room or made her exit any crowd we were in so she couldn't have any attention.

I'm pleased to announce at 13 she's doing great and hasn't had any episode in years.

Again, this was my situation...not anyone elses. For me, I realized I babied her too much. She was born with a heart defect and I didn't raise her like I did my other two. She was showered with gifts all to often and I was afraid to do anything to cause her blood pressure to rise or her heart go crazy.

So, as you can tell...it was my parenting that caused her anxiety issues. But fortunately, I was able to modify my behavior as well as hers.

This isn't the typical case with most children or even of the other posters. But I thought I'd swallow my pride and share my story and admit it was me.

Old 09-21-2008, 04:19 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,734,689 times
I think everyone needs to do what is right for their child. I am glad that worked for your daughter. My son would not deal well at all with punishment like that. He is very sensitive.

Our new school has a therapist, so I'll tap into her first. I was thinking it could be a sensory integration disorder.... thanks everyone.

Old 09-21-2008, 05:30 PM

1 posts, read 6,588 times
Default school based PT and OT

If your child is not having issues in school, the school-based therapist cannot be of assistance. PT and OT are given to address IEP driven goals. If your child is not a classified student, he would need to receive services under 504, but would need a diagnosis, evaluation, etc. Quite frankly, it doesn't sound like a sensory issue, even thought involves taste, texture, etc. many children with feeding issues do have sensory integration issues, but your description of what your son is going through doesn't seem to point in that direction. My concern is that this episode happened very suddenly. I suggest speaking with a counselor, either privately or in school. Good luck. It must be so scary for both you and your son. I wish you the best. I am sure a competent professional can help.

Old 09-23-2008, 09:02 AM

5,340 posts, read 13,947,660 times
I have a child with serious anxiety issues in my family as well, her mother recently told me about a book that really helped. I will get the name from her and post it later.

But I agree with GolfGal, I would look into Sensory Intigration Disorder. I definately see corrolations with your sons behavior and SID>
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting