Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2008, 03:54 PM

650 posts, read 2,175,183 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 121804 View Post
It is not good to not let one's body try to fight off some things the natural way.

That is exactly what you are doing by giving a vaccine. You are denying your body the ability to fight off the disease and to acquire NATURAL immunity to it. Most people with healthy immune systems have the ablility to fight off diseases on their own.

I will never forget the sound of his breathing.

I will never forget the sound of my 6 month-old's breathing after he had his 2nd DTap. He sounded like he was breathing through a plastic bag. Yet another "non-reaction" my children have suffered from vaccines.
I am very sorry that your son was so sick with RSV. (Though you are right, it is not vaccine preventable) That must have been INCREDIBLY scary!

I do wonder though if your stance would change if your child was injured by a vaccine? That is also a very scary situation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2008, 03:56 PM

1,036 posts, read 3,058,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zebrashoes View Post
I have heard so much information latley on shots and side effects from the toxic ingrediants used in the vaccines. Autisim rates soring through the roof , and ADD possibly being linked to shots.....All this information is so confusing. It is hard to know which facts are accurate and which are not. Is there anyone who has experience with not vaccinating? Is it even more important to vaccinate since so many are not? I just dont know. It is all so much to take in!! I guess my question is....Is not vaccinating yourself as well as your children worth the risk??

I don't know about the other problems that kids are getting "from vaccinations". I chose to vaccinate my girls following the recommended schedule. I have seen people with polio. I had Measles and Mumps. If I can keep them from getting these diseases I think I should. Some of these are killers or worse...cripplers for the rest of their lives. I don't think I could live with myself if I decided not to vaccinate my children and they got polio or measles or something like that and died. Maybe I am overreacting, I don't know. All I can think of is the possibilities. And my parents would have KILLED me if I had decided not to. They remember much worse things and are both from the medical field. Their philosophy is We know so much more now and can prevent things, why not? And I kinda agree. I don't necessarily think the dozen or so kids that come down with autism a year after having a vaccination within the same time frame is a good enough reason to not vaccinate my child.

Old 09-21-2008, 04:24 PM

39 posts, read 154,656 times
Alot more than a dozen or so come down with autisim. Not saying it is because the vaccine. But 1 in 150 kids is what the statistics are saying. Thats scary. I know you probably didnt literaly mean "a dozen" but i took it as you think autisim is rare. To me 1 in 150 kids is not that rare.

Old 09-21-2008, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lipglossjunkie View Post
I have a baby due in November, and have been researching like crazy on what to do come shot time. I have decided NOT to vaccinate. The chemicals in the vaccines are just too much. I cant knowingly inject my child with them. I am not aginst vaccines but i will continue to Not immunize until they haved greened the vaccines.
Congrats on your decision! It is definitely a tough one and one you will have to debate time and again!

If it helps to continue to put your mind at ease, many other countries don't give any vaccines until the child is over the age of 2. Even if you decide not to vax now, you can change your mind at anytime. I used that as my excuse with my doctor.

Old 09-21-2008, 04:39 PM

2,825 posts, read 6,906,923 times
I don't personally believe that autism is related to vaccines. I have seen several studies on this and they show no difference. However, I do think that vaccines can have other adverse effects. I think that those adverse effects are rare enough that I feel the balance is still on the side of getting vaxed, but I can understand why others come to the opposite conclusion. I also think that there are very good reasons to delay certain vaxes instead of doing them on-schedule. I delayed the Hep B, the MMR, and varicella.

Old 09-21-2008, 04:40 PM

2,825 posts, read 6,906,923 times
Oh, and I wanted to mention that there is a new Dr. Sears book out on vaccines which is supposed to be very good.

Old 09-21-2008, 04:43 PM

Default dr. sears book

That was the first book on vaccines I bought and I love it. Lots of useful info in there.

Old 09-21-2008, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by okpondlady View Post
I don't know about the other problems that kids are getting "from vaccinations". I chose to vaccinate my girls following the recommended schedule. I have seen people with polio. I had Measles and Mumps. If I can keep them from getting these diseases I think I should. Some of these are killers or worse...cripplers for the rest of their lives. I don't think I could live with myself if I decided not to vaccinate my children and they got polio or measles or something like that and died. Maybe I am overreacting, I don't know. All I can think of is the possibilities. And my parents would have KILLED me if I had decided not to. They remember much worse things and are both from the medical field. Their philosophy is We know so much more now and can prevent things, why not? And I kinda agree. I don't necessarily think the dozen or so kids that come down with autism a year after having a vaccination within the same time frame is a good enough reason to not vaccinate my child.
Polio has been eradicated in the U.S. for over 30 years. Our family pediatrician does not even recommend this shot routinely for children.

Measles and mumps are not typically life threatening illnesses. Are there exceptions? Certainly. Also, vaccines do not confer life-long immunity like acquiring these diseases naturally does.

I understand how you feel about the "what if" of vaccination. Of course you would feel guilty if something happened to your child and you had choosen not to vax. How would you feel if you DID vax and something happened? We are all taking a risk, no matter how you look at it!

Old 09-21-2008, 05:02 PM

2,579 posts, read 2,444,841 times
Thank you for this thread and to all of you who have posted on it.

My husband and I are facing the same decision. My 18 months boy was due his MMR 3 months ago and I used the excuse of the summer to give myself a bit more time to decide what to do.
So far he has received all the prescribed vaccinations but I have real misgivings about MMR and its possible links to autism.

My daughter received all her vaccinations (I did not know all the debates on this issue at the time) and when I was living in England I was able to give my second child all his vaccinations but the MMR.
The moment we moved here (he was 5 years old) and I took him to a medical centre he was given a MMR without the possibility on my part to prevent it.

The problem is that here in Spain doctors are real bullies and if you even try to ask questions they dismiss as silly you and do not take you seriously.
I have already received letters accusing me of being irresponsible because I have not yet taken my child for the due vaccination.

But your posts are helping me to see that I have a point and I should not let the medical system bully me into doiung something that may cause harm to him.
I will wait a bit longer and do further research into the it before taking a decision.

Old 09-21-2008, 05:22 PM

You have to make the best decision you know how to, for the sake of your child. That is our responsibilities as mommies. Either way you are taking a gamble. So you take your time and dont let anyone else bully you about vaccinating on time. Being a mom is tuff. Why do we get stuck with all the stressful decisions
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting