Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2008, 07:55 AM

193 posts, read 842,879 times

Advertisements

Ok I am all for parents being able to get out of the house and all, but if you are going to a movie, and cant get a babysitter, then though luck, you dont go! There is nothing more annoying than paying 8 or 9 bucks to see a movie, that you have been dying to see, and then in walks someone with a carseat. It is not the babies fault that it cries, so I have no idea why when the baby or child starts crying the parents are always like ssssshhhh. I honestly have never known a baby to stop crying on command, and I have never known a 2 year old to sit still and silent for 2 hours straight. So no matter how well behaved or good you think your baby/child is, STILL dont bring them in a theater. It is disrespectful to the 100 other people and honestly a waste of your $$, if you are constantly having to get up from your seat to go in the hallway. Just venting, hopefully i did not offend anyone
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2008, 08:55 AM

2,825 posts, read 6,925,589 times
At my church we have a little room in the back of the sanctuary that is walled in but has windows all along the one wall so that if you are in there you can see everything in the sanctuary. They pipe in the sound so that you can hear too. You can go in there with your baby/toddler/whatever and let them spread out, play on the floor, make a reasonable amount of noise, etc without it disturbing the rest of the congregation, and meanwhile the parent can still see and hear the whole service while attending to the needs of their child.

I wish movie theatres had little rooms like this. Unfortunately, they don't, and I've been to about 3 movies since my daughter was born over 2 years ago. But man, I think it would be great if they had that at the movies...

Old 09-23-2008, 09:10 AM

43,854 posts, read 51,179,793 times
What a great idea ADVentive! Maybe you should submit it to one of the theater chains! They would sell more tickets if moms or dads could have a place to go when the baby starts to get restless.

Without such a room, I have to admit that when I see parents come into the theater with a baby....it is a real groaner. I do understand parents need to get out of the house and don't always have a babysitter....but perhaps they should do something else besides aggravating a room full of people trying to relax and watch a movie.

Old 09-23-2008, 09:33 AM

1,364 posts, read 4,146,827 times
You know how there's a ban (in some places) on kids under 16 seeing rated R movies after 10pm? There should be a ban on children under 10 seeing movies after 8pm that are PG-13 and above, and a total ban on any child that is incapable of walking on their own.

Old 09-23-2008, 10:15 AM

697 posts, read 2,015,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADVentive View Post
At my church we have a little room in the back of the sanctuary that is walled in but has windows all along the one wall so that if you are in there you can see everything in the sanctuary. They pipe in the sound so that you can hear too.

I wish movie theatres had little rooms like this. Unfortunately, they don't, and I've been to about 3 movies since my daughter was born over 2 years ago. But man, I think it would be great if they had that at the movies...
They actually used to. They're called 'cry rooms'. When I was young, we went to a small theater in a neighboring town. There was a small balcony, and above that balcony was a room for exactly that purpose. Kids could play and make all the noise they wanted to, and not bother ANYBODY except their parents.

As things evolved, and parents started thinking of themselves, as opposed to thinking of those around them, theaters phased out these rooms.

Too bad, because nobody wants to throw away $10 or $15 to listen to someone else's child for two hours. I can do that for free at the neighbor's.

Old 09-23-2008, 11:42 AM

3,842 posts, read 10,511,398 times
Sometimes, we forget that we need time with our sig others WITHOUT the children. One's marriage needs to be just as cared for as one's children.

We don't take our children to the movies. That's a date night for us & a real special treat to be able to sit in a room & watch a movie with one another.

Our son is right about the age where he could attend the mantinees of very specific movies that have plots & TIMES that are specifically for young children.

Movies are shown at 11:30am & 2pm.

I think if your child cannot handle a full length feature movie, a parent has no right expecting them too.

We also have a crying room at our church. But at a certain age, I don't think it's necessary. Our son is almost 3. He knows that there is a way to behave while in church & actually enjoys attending. We don't take him into the room if he gets fussy. We take him out of the church & remind him of how he is to behave.
We also have a 9 month old & if he gets fussy, we take him out.
I'm just don't like feeling obligated to go into the crying room b/c I have children. If my children start to get fussy or misbehave, we remove them from the situation so others are not bothered.
I know the crying room works great for some people, but our son would just think it's playtime if we took him in there.

Old 09-23-2008, 06:37 PM

4,391 posts, read 9,483,682 times
Never take your child to the movie unless old enough to care and be quiet at it. That is so annoying...as annoying as people tex messaging with the light on their phone flickering in your eyes.

Old 09-24-2008, 05:54 AM

1,224 posts, read 3,374,333 times
We have 2 sons ages almost 5yrs old and a 3 month old, the last movie we saw in the theaters was 5 yrs ago. I figure if we have no more children we can go to a movie as a whole family in 5yrs. Anytime before that it will either be on a Date Night or one of us will take the oldest to see a movie. Wish they still had drive inns

Old 09-24-2008, 12:08 PM

335 posts, read 1,113,192 times
But there are more movies out there targeted for children. Obviously this isn't what the OP was speaking about. But just in reference to parents with small children. Why not take your 2 and up to these movies?? the few kiddie movies I have gone to the kids seem to sit still for it.

No I don't have children. My sister started taking her son to the movies at maybe two (maybe younger) regularly. he is five now.

But obviously every kid is different. I was just wondering.

Old 09-24-2008, 12:23 PM

2,467 posts, read 12,246,919 times
At the movie theater I went to in Tampa, they had a child care room attached to try to curb this issue. But then, you have to feel comfortable leaving your child with absolute strangers at the theater.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting