Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2008, 03:50 PM

78 posts, read 196,294 times

Advertisements

Yes, absolutely.
I think that planned parent hood clinics and other birth control centers should be able to give children birth control with out telling their parents.

There are children out there that are sexually active and too scared to go to their parents about it. If they are mature enough to go to a clinic to get the education that they need to protect them selves from std's and pregnancy then they should be allowed their privacy.
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]

Old 09-25-2008, 03:54 PM

3,414 posts, read 7,144,027 times
I'm wondering if there is a big difference in this thread between parents and non-parents and their opinion on this issue..?

Old 09-25-2008, 04:03 PM

3,842 posts, read 10,512,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by laysayfair View Post
I'm wondering if there is a big difference in this thread between parents and non-parents and their opinion on this issue..?
For the record...I'm the parent of two boys and have a husband, so on certain days (it is football season now), I am the parent of three boys Just depends.

I also was raised in a very strict but very loving household. Your choice = your responsibility

Old 09-26-2008, 10:04 AM

3,257 posts, read 6,127,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 121804 View Post
And in Debate 101, one of the first things you learn is not to mix emotion with fact nor attack with childish comments. A good debate doesn't get juvenile nor emotional.
We are not in 10th grade debate class. This is an emotional issue for many because we have children, we know children who have been knocked up, and other scenarios. This is a highly charged topic.
Moderator cut: partial cut

Last edited by jeannie216; 09-26-2008 at 10:18 AM..

Old 09-26-2008, 10:11 AM

1,492 posts, read 7,714,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zebrashoes View Post
We just had this topic in one of my classes at school? And was suprised that alot of people in my class said YES, that if it were their kid they would want to know. If it was a high school class the consencus would have definatly been NO. But I guess when you become a parent you feel the urge to be informed if your child is sexualy active. (Quite a few people with teenagers in that particular class). Anyways- I said No because i think less girls would take the pill if they knew their parents would know about it.
The other interesting Question in my class having to do with this topic was should schools allow school nurses to distribute birth control?
Some intersting things to think about??
FYI this post is not asking should you have to have parents permission it is just asking should parents be informed if their child gets on the pill.
No, parents must give written consent.
So there is no such thing as being notified after the fact.

Old 09-26-2008, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuSuSushi View Post
Oh, I'm far from "getting nasty", and I certainly didn't attack you or anyone else. If I had, I'm sure I would have heard from the moderators. You are incorrectly inferring a lot from the comments I've made.

It's pretty clear that the law tends to favor allowing a minor (though generally I believe it's OVER the age of 13) to have some privacy in regard to certain medical choices. Thank goodness they do, because kids get in enough trouble already without putting antiquarian moralistic chains onto them.
Let's see...you said I was prude, uptight & thought my children were perfect angels. That's attacking. Some of your comments were cut by the moderator.

You are judging me thinking that my opinion is based on being perfect with perfect children. Yet, you have no clue maybe why I am saying what I am. Maybe my situation is very similiar to yours & I have lifelong consequences to live with the decisions I made at a very young age based on different factors.

Your extreme remarks show a sense of insecurity which is a shame. Obviously, you are so damaged you cannot think outside of your own situation.

Not everyone lives like you nor was raised like you. Once you start to realize that, you may not be so sensitive to those who think differently.

Just b/c I wish to be informed does not mean I will beat my child. Just b/c I wish to be informed does not mean that I will throw a congratulations party, either. As a parent of a minor who resides in my home & I am responsible for, I wish to be informed of their actions.

Keep spinning it however makes you feel better. I don't feel any need to put you down for your opinion.

Old 09-26-2008, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taboo2 View Post
We are not in 10th grade debate class. This is an emotional issue for many because we have children, we know children who have been knocked up, and other scenarios. This is a highly charged topic.
Moderator cut: partial cut
And maybe I do also.

It's a charged topic that can be discussed like rationale thinking adults.

Listening to the other side..what is so hard about that?

Studies show people talk nicer to strangers than their own children. With some of the remarks I read here, I wonder how some of these children are truly raised.

Old 09-26-2008, 10:24 AM

7,573 posts, read 10,620,439 times
I understand that this is a hot topic, but if any of you cannot refrain from personal attacks, then please go elsewhere. Thank you.

Old 09-26-2008, 11:51 AM

3,257 posts, read 6,127,905 times
Quote:

your extreme remarks show a sense of insecurity which is a shame. Obviously, you are so damaged you cannot think outside of your own situation.
please please please please stop attacking other people.

Let it go and please stop picking on people. Raise your kids the way you want and i will do the same!

Old 09-26-2008, 12:14 PM

3,414 posts, read 7,144,027 times
Quote:
Let's see...you said I was prude, uptight & thought my children were perfect angels. That's attacking. Some of your comments were cut by the moderator.

You are judging me thinking that my opinion is based on being perfect with perfect children. Yet, you have no clue maybe why I am saying what I am. Maybe my situation is very similiar to yours & I have lifelong consequences to live with the decisions I made at a very young age based on different factors.

Your extreme remarks show a sense of insecurity which is a shame. Obviously, you are so damaged you cannot think outside of your own situation.

Not everyone lives like you nor was raised like you. Once you start to realize that, you may not be so sensitive to those who think differently.

Just b/c I wish to be informed does not mean I will beat my child. Just b/c I wish to be informed does not mean that I will throw a congratulations party, either. As a parent of a minor who resides in my home & I am responsible for, I wish to be informed of their actions.

Keep spinning it however makes you feel better. I don't feel any need to put you down for your opinion.
I hate that I can't rep you again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting