Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2008, 09:10 PM

193 posts, read 842,842 times

Advertisements

We just had this topic in one of my classes at school? And was suprised that alot of people in my class said YES, that if it were their kid they would want to know. If it was a high school class the consencus would have definatly been NO. But I guess when you become a parent you feel the urge to be informed if your child is sexualy active. (Quite a few people with teenagers in that particular class). Anyways- I said No because i think less girls would take the pill if they knew their parents would know about it.
The other interesting Question in my class having to do with this topic was should schools allow school nurses to distribute birth control?
Some intersting things to think about??
FYI this post is not asking should you have to have parents permission it is just asking should parents be informed if their child gets on the pill.

Old 09-23-2008, 09:16 PM

697 posts, read 2,015,093 times
ABSOLUTELY ! ! ! Birth control pills are PRESCRIBED by a doctor. Every parent should know their underage child is being prescribed medication. If there was an emergency, and at the hospital the doctor asked a parent of an unconscious teen what medications she is taking, THAT PARENT SHOULD KNOW. It may make a difference how that CHILD is treated.

Besides that, no doctor has any business prescribing medicine to a minor without the parent's knowledge.

Old 09-23-2008, 09:23 PM

Planned Parenthood.....you go to the doctor there and pick them up there. Free of chrage. Thats where all the highschool kids get theirs from where I grew up.

Old 09-23-2008, 09:23 PM

589 posts, read 1,635,684 times
As a mom of 3 girls, I would want to know. I'd hope that our relationship remains open enough that they will come to me to discuss it before doing anything about getting BCP on their own. I'd like the opportunity to re-discuss other options, including abstinence, first.

Overall, I think that many of the girls that would go for BCP without consulting their parents, would not be dissuaded from obtaining them, or being sexually active, knowing that their parents would be informed. How many of those girls would use the BCPs correctly and thereby lower their chance of conception? Ugh! And sadly, how many of them would be coupling them with safe sex practices?

So yes, parents should be informed. PERIOD.

Old 09-23-2008, 09:26 PM

5,340 posts, read 13,950,197 times
I agree w/ you 925 and Sum1Else.

BUT I know that not every teen comes from a great home with great parents... so it's a hard call.

In HS I had a friend who went to Planned Parenthood and her mother found out (from someone else who knew) and she just beat the living crap out of my friend. This was an abusive home - alcoholism, abuse - the worst. My friend was trying to be responsible. So it's a hard call. In ideal situations, yes, they should know...but every situation is not ideal.

Old 09-23-2008, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sum1Else View Post
As a mom of 3 girls, I would want to know. I'd hope that our relationship remains open enough that they will come to me to discuss it before doing anything about getting BCP on their own. I'd like the opportunity to re-discuss other options, including abstinence, first.

Overall, I think that many of the girls that would go for BCP without consulting their parents, would not be dissuaded from obtaining them, or being sexually active, knowing that their parents would be informed. How many of those girls would use the BCPs correctly and thereby lower their chance of conception? Ugh! And sadly, how many of them would be coupling them with safe sex practices?

So yes, parents should be informed. PERIOD.
It's a terribly irresponsible act to give a minor child birth control pills without the knowledge of her parents.

You brought up some good points.

Old 09-23-2008, 09:28 PM

even if your child goes to the regular OBGYN and gets them perscribed it is illegal for them to notify guardian or anyone for that matter. Parents by law do not have to know anything. So according to the law the doctor does have business prescribing BCP without permission from parent.

Old 09-23-2008, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EEEPNJ View Post
I agree w/ you 925 and Sum1Else.

BUT I know that not every teen comes from a great home with great parents... so it's a hard call.

In HS I had a friend who went to Planned Parenthood and her mother found out (from someone else who knew) and she just beat the living crap out of my friend. This was an abusive home - alcoholism, abuse - the worst. My friend was trying to be responsible. So it's a hard call. In ideal situations, yes, they should know...but every situation is not ideal.
I can understand that. So where does that leave it? If the your friend hadn't gotten the pills, she wouldn't have had the beating. But if she hadn't gotten the pills, she may have gottn pregnant.

I still think it's the responsible thing to inform the parents. In extreme cases like you mentioned though, maybe even an adult who knows the girl. SOMEBODY should know when a girl goes on these things in case it's medically necessary, for one, and because prescriptions should NEVER be handed out to a minor without an adult present.

Old 09-23-2008, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zebrashoes View Post
even if your child goes to the regular OBGYN and gets them perscribed it is illegal for them to notify guardian or anyone for that matter. Parents by law do not have to know anything. So according to the law the doctor does have business prescribing BCP without permission from parent.
Are you serious????? I'd be up and down ANY doctor who gave my child prescription drugs without my knowledge. Legal or not.

Old 09-23-2008, 09:37 PM

3,414 posts, read 7,143,022 times
How can they give them birth-control pills? In my son's high-school they won't even give you an ASPIRIN.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting