Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2008, 10:25 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,312,752 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GReavill View Post
If college is in a child's future it should be in a field which is marketable. Most marketable field now are in math and science, so KUMON would help. Why spend $60 to $80 grands in 4 years if the student can't even get past college alg...and switches major 4-times? Had he done KUMON math he could have breezeed thru the 18 credits of math and gotten to the major course work without a struggle and without dropping course or going back to elementary alg which he did not master.
Marketable?
I disagree. a person has a much better change of being successful in life if they study something in college that they like and that they're good at. Math and science are fine professions, but not the only ones by a long shot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2008, 10:26 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,312,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by walkingthecow View Post
I'm sending my child to a Waldorf School with an emphasis on imagination and creativity. If my kid wants to be a starving artist, than that would be perfectly fine with me. I am not pushing my child to get into Harvard, Stanford, or any other Ivy League elite. If they want to go to a public institution, then that is also fine with me. People like the OP make me absolutely sick. Seriously, get out of your SUV and get a life, and ease up on the kid while you're at it.
Thank you! The only thing children should be forced to learn is the love of learning.

Old 11-10-2008, 03:23 AM

4 posts, read 17,959 times
Yey..try tell"ing that to someone with a major that can't get a job and has a college loan they have to pay back!! "Like" is for people with a lots of $$$ for most of us college is an investment in our future and getting a job that pays well..

Old 11-10-2008, 07:29 AM

8,262 posts, read 18,478,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 925mine View Post
We tried Kumon. Even though a child can move very quickly, you can be even more effective at home by making the pages up yourself. All it is, is repetitive exercises. My daughter did quite well, but forgot everything shortly after leaving that program. So, it was essentially useless.

Besides, Kumon is very expensive.
So Kumon is basically "learning by rote?"

Old 11-10-2008, 07:33 AM

8,309 posts, read 38,766,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GReavill View Post
Yey..try tell"ing that to someone with a major that can't get a job and has a college loan they have to pay back!! "Like" is for people with a lots of $$$ for most of us college is an investment in our future and getting a job that pays well..
Disagree. I know some very successful history majors, one very successful art history major, and a lot of broke engineers.

I also know some struggling biology majors who did not get into med school.

If you majored in any kind of chemistry or physics (unless the physical discipline has a "geo" prefix) you're probably broke.

Old 11-10-2008, 07:35 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,332,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cynwldkat View Post
You may be right! But I'll take the healthy, imaginative, happy child anyday over some robot! Kids burn out and believe me it does happen all to often. When do those children get to be children? Sorry, that isn't for my kids!! Life is to short to live it as an adult from day one!
Just FYI, I was an Indian kid who was pushed in school and sports. Also got to travel the world and make all sorts of friends. Dated. Partied. Was not a robot. Had ideal childhood. Liberal arts and science degrees. Am doctor and aspiring writer/bodybuilder. My little brother now nanotech engineer/lawyer. So go on with more ridiculous stereotypes.

Kids are smart enough to be pushed without ruining their childhoods. Maybe more Asian parents are still busy being parents instead of being 'friends' with their kids.

Old 11-10-2008, 07:38 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,332,595 times
p.s. Majored in Russian/Spanish/Microbiology with completions of minors in History/Biochem/Philosophy in college. Played high school and college-level athletics. So you can study what you love and still do well in life.

Last edited by stan4; 11-10-2008 at 07:55 AM..

Old 05-09-2012, 03:59 AM

1 posts, read 2,074 times
I am living in RSA and my children have been doing Kumon for 17 months. I have seen that the good results show, compared to other children that do not go to Kumon, I do hope that Kumon is the reason. But in the long run is Kumon just a general maths program? Is it worth while going through the frustration of huge arguments and antagonising the child whilst doing the 10 pg book. Would it be better to get a 1 on 1 tutor to eliminate the pressure and stress for the child. What are your opinion with striving to complete the course...is it really worth it. What kind of success reflects in a child that has done Kumon to one that has not. Please help??

Old 07-15-2012, 12:57 AM

4 posts, read 8,331 times
Kumon is a program for math and reading/writing fundamentals. My kid has been enrolled in the reading/writing portion for almost eight months now. For us, Kumon is far from a substitute for parental involvement. Most of the work is at home and we are right there with him.

We have no idea whether we will have our second child do Kumon yet. Every child is different. We want the best for our kid's futures even if we don't know what it will be. Language and math are fundamentals that we have chosen our children to master so that they have more options open up for them in life. I have to say that a lot of the negative posts in this thread against Kumon or other after school programs come across as petty. Why all the hate? Who cares what other parents do? You are your child's parent. Why is there a need to be so judgmental over the decisions of other families?

As to the topic of whether kids will remember what they learn from Kumon, that also seems absurd to me. In eight months our kid went from struggling with the alphabet to reading and writing at a first grade level. He enters kindergarden a year early this fall. He might not always want to do his thirty minute worksheet each night, but I can certainly say we are very happy with the results. He is very enthusiastic about having the tools of reading and writing at his disposal to better interact with his world. He is developing a love for learning. It is enhancing his childhood. Somehow I highly doubt that he will forget everything about reading and writing if we pulled him out of the program.

Old 07-15-2012, 01:30 AM

37,121 posts, read 42,189,292 times
Quote:
He enters kindergarden a year early this fall
Why? Besides bragging rights I mean.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting