U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2008, 04:06 PM

850 posts, read 2,120,645 times

Advertisements

gcb, I just read your last reply and I feel bad for her daughter, but Praise the Lord YOUR daughter is getting out of this mess. And, you, too! Thank goodness the police have been involved and her husband now knows the story. Sounds like he needs to get control of his wife!

Kimmiey
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2008, 04:14 PM

25,291 posts, read 27,503,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gcbspoke View Post
A new neighbor moved into our neighborhood 9 months ago. Both of our 8 year old daughters were friends, then one day the 35 year old mother came out and went balistic calling my daughter volgure names. I have told her to stay away from us, but she still continues to harass my 8 yr old on school grounds and down the street until she gets home. This has now become a 35 year old woman attacking an 8 year old. Does anyone know how I can get her to stop. I have talked to the school principle because this woman is a parent volunteer but I have been told that she has to witness it. So now I am left with the attacks she is doing on the street in our neighborhood. When I am with my daughter she attacks me to. Any suggestions? Can I call the cops on her?
It's called Harrassment and Menacing. Why the heck haven't you called them already?

Old 10-07-2008, 04:51 PM

35,610 posts, read 43,927,551 times
Another poster stated earlier in this thread that the woman sounds unstable. You stated perhaps she is a bipolar . . . and I am going to add . . . she may be a raging type bipolar . . . may have any of several other disorders, but I assure you . . . this woman has some type of mental health issues and the only way you are going to have any peace is to stay away from her. She may go into psychotic rages and honestly not remember what she did/said. You need to document everything and you need to call 911 if the woman ever accosts you or your daughter again, and tell them that she has had a history of this type of attack behavior and you are worried for your safety.

So often, families accept out of control behavior - and do not realize this could be manifestation of mental illness - and there is treatment available.

Just stay as far away from this woman as possible. She is into the drama = feeds on it. If you need to get a restraining order, DO IT. This will not stop unless someone intervenes.

I feel awful for the woman's family. You can bet you have only seen a portion of what goes on behind closed doors.

Old 10-07-2008, 04:56 PM

698 posts, read 1,320,433 times
Quote:
dr74;5581662 Think of this as a good thing you would not want your child playing with her daughter if her mom is this unstable!
The daughter probably could use some friends, and most likely didn't have anything to do with the mother going off and being foolish.
Quote:
Good for you take those anti-harassment papers to the principal and send a copy to the district for good measure (To cover your ass) !
Since nothing has been witnessed at school by anybody, chances are restraining orders would be useless at school. They may help in the community where others may have been witness to the behavior, but essentially, restraining orders are pretty useless.
Quote:
And put that mini recorder on record, the next time she goes ape record her and take it straight to the police dept. and request a restraining order!
That is the best advice I can give you but what I really want to tell you is to knock the taste out of her mouth but that wouldn't be christian so I will
Why be so cloak and dagger? Just stand up to her and tell her to shut up and leave you alone.

Old 10-07-2008, 05:17 PM

13,779 posts, read 17,069,691 times
If a restraining order is granted it does not matter where the child is, the woman has to leave the girl alone, even if the school did not witness anything.

This woman sounds absolutely off kilter. You may want to look her up on your sourts website to see if she has any other charges similar to this. Sometimes the police will tell you information as well. We had a crazy lady stalking us...long story...and she has a HUGE history, documented and undocumented.

Please be careful. She may be physical if provoked.

Old 10-07-2008, 06:42 PM

10 posts, read 25,404 times
All good advise.

Talk to the principal immediately, file a police report, find other people who have witnessed her behavior and file for a protective order. Your local Court should be able to direct you. Lastly, make a detailed log of all the events including dates, time, and what was said. If the police do not help the first time, call again.

Also, I agree, you should meet your daughter at the bus stop.

Old 10-08-2008, 10:35 AM

1,846 posts, read 1,524,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 925mine View Post
The daughter probably could use some friends, and most likely didn't have anything to do with the mother going off and being foolish.
You missed my point entirely...I made no mention of this whole ordeal being the childs fault. The point was perhaps this was a good time for this to occur since the parent seems abusive and unstable and there is no telling if the parent would solely stick to being verbally abusive or becoming physical.
It is unfortuneate that the other child has to deal with this but this is none of the OP'S CONCERN, her only concern is keeping her daughter safe.

Since nothing has been witnessed at school by anybody, chances are restraining orders would be useless at school. They may help in the community where others may have been witness to the behavior, but essentially, restraining orders are pretty useless.
This is where you are wrong. The police stated to the OP that anti-harassment papers would be a great idea, I stated to the OP that she hand copies to the School Administrator and send a copy to the district..."The squeaky well gets the grease" As far as restraining orders? If it is established that the neighbor is harassing her daughter a copy must be given to the school to make them aware that there is a situation occuring (Since both children attend the same school) This is required the same as court-ordered visitations are required to be given to any place that a child is being taken care of outside the home.

Why be so cloak and dagger? Just stand up to her and tell her to shut up and leave you alone.
I am not the OP and this was a suggestion, quote her next time.

Old 10-08-2008, 12:04 PM

698 posts, read 1,320,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr74 View Post
I am not the OP and this was a suggestion, quote her next time.
I know for a fact that restraining orders are essentially useless if someone wants to do harm. NOTHING will stop them. All it is, is a piece of paper. It is MEANT to protect, but paper does NOT protect. It will do little good AFTER something happens.

Old 10-09-2008, 07:38 AM

6,530 posts, read 9,237,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gcbspoke View Post
hello, and thanks to all of your suggestions. What started this was my daughter and 4 other kids were playing with this persons daughter at her house. I went down and got my daughter for dinner. The next day, this person came out and told my daughter that when I get home to come down and clean up the mess she left. I got home my daughter and another friend went down to the house and cleaned up and came home. When my daughter got home she started to cry saying that this woman was telling her that she could not play at her house for 2 weeks because of the mess she left and that she damaged several pieces of wood by writing on them. My daughter did admit to me she wrote on them but said so were the other kids. I went to this persons house asked what happened and told her I would pay for the wood. She then went on about we dont want your money and how awful my daughter is when she is down at her house. My child and hers have been playing together for the past 4 months. I told her if there were issues with my daughter she should of came to me...she then just went off, so I backed up and told her I would send her money for the damaged wood but that I was not going to fight with her and I started to go home. I got home, called her husband and told him that I just had words with his wife and that I would pay for the damaged wood, just as I was on the phone with him, this person came to my home pointed her finger at my 8 year old daughter and yelled, Liar, rude little BI***. I told her that was enough and to go home. From that day forward, she has yelled awful vulgar names at my daughter, liar is one of the nicer ones. Since I made my first post, last Friday again she came out of her house this time yelling at me and my daughter, there is that f****** c*** and her little b****, I ignored her and continued to walk home. My husband then contacted her husband and once she found out who her husband was talking to, she went crazy first denying everything then went the other way and admitted to doing everything, then called the cops on my husband and I saying she was scared of us and that we were threatning her....I have never seen anything like this. Well, cops came and they instantly told me to petition for a anti-harassment filing against her. Told me not to mess with her...So today there I was and found out she has a history of doing this in her old neighborhood. Possibly bi-polar, I am not sure, but I will be going to the school tomorrow with my temporary anti-harassment papers. The worse part is we have lived her 12 years, they move in 9 months ago and all hell breaks loose. The worse part is her 8 year old will be messed up if she keeps this up. Thanks for all your input
You all have shown tremendous restraint... If someone was doing this to my daughter and my wife I would put the fear of GOD into her...

Shame on anyone for harrassing an 8-year old or using that kind of language toward one.... I dont' care what disorder she has. Too much defense for these types of people these days IMO.... Harrass MY daughter and yes, I will threaten you....

Old 10-09-2008, 08:31 AM

168 posts, read 400,398 times
You have a cell phone with a video camera, yes? Video the incidents, even one. Download to computer, make several copies, burn 3 copies to DVD. Take one copy to cops and make sure to file a formal complaint; take one copy your lawyer; keep one copy safe. Verbal assault is assault, and, at minimum, harrassment; both can be prosecuted. An adult assaulting and harrassing a child is considered a serious offense. A restraining order can be issued. If she breaks the restraining order, she goes to jail.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting