Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2008, 08:47 PM

7 posts, read 18,350 times

Advertisements

A new neighbor moved into our neighborhood 9 months ago. Both of our 8 year old daughters were friends, then one day the 35 year old mother came out and went balistic calling my daughter volgure names. I have told her to stay away from us, but she still continues to harass my 8 yr old on school grounds and down the street until she gets home. This has now become a 35 year old woman attacking an 8 year old. Does anyone know how I can get her to stop. I have talked to the school principle because this woman is a parent volunteer but I have been told that she has to witness it. So now I am left with the attacks she is doing on the street in our neighborhood. When I am with my daughter she attacks me to. Any suggestions? Can I call the cops on her?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2008, 09:00 PM

4,897 posts, read 18,491,759 times
i would definately call the cops!!

Old 10-03-2008, 09:12 PM

2,119 posts, read 3,712,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gcbspoke View Post
A new neighbor moved into our neighborhood 9 months ago. Both of our 8 year old daughters were friends, then one day the 35 year old mother came out and went balistic calling my daughter volgure names. I have told her to stay away from us, but she still continues to harass my 8 yr old on school grounds and down the street until she gets home. This has now become a 35 year old woman attacking an 8 year old. Does anyone know how I can get her to stop. I have talked to the school principle because this woman is a parent volunteer but I have been told that she has to witness it. So now I am left with the attacks she is doing on the street in our neighborhood. When I am with my daughter she attacks me to. Any suggestions? Can I call the cops on her?
What is it with people? Crazy nuts all over the place. What does she do? Scream at you? What is she screaming about? Does she ever get physical?

Old 10-03-2008, 09:51 PM

850 posts, read 3,158,814 times
Call the police - absolutely! BUT - make sure you have specific things you wish to tell them. I say this only because experience with emergency services has taught me to be clear, concise, and show little emotion. Otherwise, their presumption may be that you are over-reacting and dismiss your concerns. Tell the police you want to take out an EPO - or whichever writ it is that stops a person from coming within so many feet of another. This will hit the lady where it hurts, as she will have to honor it at school, the school must see that it is enforced, and it will force the issue into the open.

Also, start writing down every single incident. In Medicine there is a saying - 'If it's not written down it didn't happen'. Even though it is your words and your writing, it is documentation of a sort and will carry weight. Otherwise it's hearsay or doesn't exist at all.

In the meantime, I would start meeting your daughter at the bus stop ( I assume that is what you mean by 'until she gets home'), and I believe I would exercise my parental right to sit in on classes and visit the school. Perhaps volunteer yourself if you are able, or get a trusted friend or relative to do it if you can't be there. Same with the bus stop - if you cannot be there, have someone there to get her home. This will give your daughter some safety and you a witness when this woman goes nuts again.

One more thing - do not stoop to her level by acting as she does toward her. That will only make things worse and give HER possible leverage. May be your luck YOUR actions would be witnessed before hers and give her fuel.

Don't worry, bullies eventually get their just desserts. It just may take a while.

Take care!

Old 10-03-2008, 09:59 PM

13,784 posts, read 26,251,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimmieyky View Post
Call the police - absolutely! BUT - make sure you have specific things you wish to tell them. I say this only because experience with emergency services has taught me to be clear, concise, and show little emotion. Otherwise, their presumption may be that you are over-reacting and dismiss your concerns. Tell the police you want to take out an EPO - or whichever writ it is that stops a person from coming within so many feet of another. This will hit the lady where it hurts, as she will have to honor it at school, the school must see that it is enforced, and it will force the issue into the open.

Also, start writing down every single incident. In Medicine there is a saying - 'If it's not written down it didn't happen'. Even though it is your words and your writing, it is documentation of a sort and will carry weight. Otherwise it's hearsay or doesn't exist at all.

In the meantime, I would start meeting your daughter at the bus stop ( I assume that is what you mean by 'until she gets home'), and I believe I would exercise my parental right to sit in on classes and visit the school. Perhaps volunteer yourself if you are able, or get a trusted friend or relative to do it if you can't be there. Same with the bus stop - if you cannot be there, have someone there to get her home. This will give your daughter some safety and you a witness when this woman goes nuts again.

One more thing - do not stoop to her level by acting as she does toward her. That will only make things worse and give HER possible leverage. May be your luck YOUR actions would be witnessed before hers and give her fuel.

Don't worry, bullies eventually get their just desserts. It just may take a while.

Take care!
Wonderful advice!

This is such a sad situation! What precipitated the initial confrontation with the mother and your daughter?

If I were you, I would teach my daughter how to use a recording device...Mp3 player, for example, and tell her to keep it in her pocket on the way home. When the lady starts talking to her, she can turn it on.

This woman does not sound well calibrated and I would be very concerned about my childs safety when this woman is around.

I would also call the school administration and have a talk with the bus driver about her behavior. The more people that know the safer your daughter will be.

Good luck. Please keep us posted.

Old 10-03-2008, 10:12 PM

134 posts, read 590,543 times
Default its too bad she cant use a hidden video recorder

its to bad she cant see about using a real small video camcorder like they use in invastgations like a hidden camera of some sort
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrstewart View Post
Wonderful advice!

This is such a sad situation! What precipitated the initial confrontation with the mother and your daughter?

If I were you, I would teach my daughter how to use a recording device...Mp3 player, for example, and tell her to keep it in her pocket on the way home. When the lady starts talking to her, she can turn it on.

This woman does not sound well calibrated and I would be very concerned about my childs safety when this woman is around.

I would also call the school administration and have a talk with the bus driver about her behavior. The more people that know the safer your daughter will be.

Good luck. Please keep us posted.

Old 10-03-2008, 10:21 PM

1,895 posts, read 5,901,814 times
My digital camera (a whopping $100 model from WalMart) takes pretty decent video footage with sound... maybe worth getting one and taking it with you when you walk with you daughter? See the neighbor coming and turn it on!

(I would think that audio with video would help you prove what this freak is doing to your daughter...and get results!)

How awful!

Old 10-03-2008, 11:09 PM

303 posts, read 980,736 times
That is just horrible what you and your poor child are having to deal with. Bullies come in all ages. You have been given some good direction. If I may also add:

Seek a restraining order to keep this insignificant person away form you and your family. Also, talk to the school board if the school turns their head away. This woman has no place being a known school volunteer.

I am sorry you are going through this...and your daughter.

Old 10-04-2008, 08:46 AM

697 posts, read 2,015,434 times
[quote=gcbspoke;5541322].
Quote:
..35 year old mother came out and went balistic calling my daughter volgure names.
What was you reaction?

Quote:
I have told her to stay away from us, but she still continues to harass my 8 yr old on school grounds and down the street until she gets home. ...
That's something the police should take care of.

Quote:
Does anyone know how I can get her to stop. I have talked to the school principle because this woman is a parent volunteer but I have been told that she has to witness it.
Have a lawyer call the school, that will change their mind about that.

Quote:
When I am with my daughter she attacks me to.
How do you react?

This woman is an idiot, but she continue because she is allowed to. Give it back to her in spades until she backs down.

Old 10-04-2008, 09:17 AM

12,054 posts, read 23,349,004 times
I would do just about all that was stated above. Make sure that you know exactly what is being said or screamed to your daughter. You need to find out why this has occurred. Talk to other parents of children who get off the bus or walk by this person's home. If it is happening to your daughter without provocation, then it is probably happening to other children. If there has been some type of perceived provocation, you need to address it. Once a pattern is established and documented (dates, times, what is said,etc.), I would request a meeting with the police, school superintendant, and principal of the school. Many schools now have a state police officer on the premises. Contact a lawyer with this info, who can also accompany you to the school. It is imperative that you get this settled immediately.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting