Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2008, 12:49 PM

139 posts, read 722,813 times

Advertisements

And he said it was... a TICK!! I can't believe I couldn't identify it. It was a small tick, that's for certain.

Thank you for all your responses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2008, 12:36 PM

2,091 posts, read 9,024,198 times
lol....all those options and it was none of the above, eh? go figure...
well, im glad it was a lone bug. thats happiness!!!!
Im all about the tea tree oil! i work w/kids, in very very close contact and we've had several lice outbreaks. My oldest had it 2x and then we started in w/using TeaTree oil shampoo. LOVE IT!!! Even when we've had outbreaks at my work, my youngest daughters best friend came down w/it, and we got a call 2days after my oldest was at a slumber party that the other girls came down w/it, we havent had a single lice since using the teatree oil shampoo! Im all for it!!!!!!
I think it keeps the fleas away too.

Old 10-08-2008, 02:04 PM

3,257 posts, read 6,112,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Lice must start with 1 hopping onto someone's head. I know you are being vigilant, so you'll soon find out, one way or another.
What worries me is that my pets have on occasion had fleas, but the fleas never seem to go in a human's hair.
Fleas jump all over and were not aiming for her hair probably. They just jump a lot and perhaps landed in her hair. Lice are much smaller.

Old 10-08-2008, 10:29 PM

2,905 posts, read 7,330,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by islandmommy View Post
And he said it was... a TICK!! I can't believe I couldn't identify it. It was a small tick, that's for certain.

Thank you for all your responses.

oooh, probably a deer tick then. Good catch!

Old 10-08-2008, 10:30 PM

81 posts, read 256,740 times
Hairdresser here. I am almost sure it is lice and yes you can have the bug without the nits. The nits will be there soon so TREAT.

Old 10-08-2008, 11:18 PM

1,841 posts, read 3,164,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by islandmommy View Post
I was combing my daughter's hair for school when I noticed a little brown insect crawling across her scalp... my first thought was lice but she has no nits, the rest of her hair and scalp are completely clear. I managed to crush the thing with my fingernail... does anyone know if it's possible to have lice without nits? I am thinking it must have been a flea, but since I crushed it I can't identify it easily.

Any lice veterans who can help?
I understand your fear! But it seems to be an isolated case of a random flea. Do you own animals? If not it is probable that one jumped on for the ride! This is completely normal! Fleas have been known to jump on for a ride until more suitable hosts are found!
lice? Come in packs, if you spotted a full grown to the naked eye insect moree than likely you would have seen little white clumps stuck to the base of your childs head and on the crown, I am a master of removing these buggers being that I worked at a pre-k program before!

Old 10-09-2008, 09:16 AM

168 posts, read 671,007 times
FLEAS: Animal fleas don't jump on humans. We aren't tasty to them. To get rid of fleas and flea eggs permanently, "shampoo" your carpets and rugs and wash your floors and baseboards with isopropyl alcohol (yes, cheap, plain old rubbing alcohol). It kills both the fleas and their eggs. Buy a couple of gallons at Costco and go to work. Also wash all clothing and bedding. End of flea problem. If your dog and cat run loose outside...which they shouldn't, of course, you could get a reinfestation from other people's dogs and cats, but a quick trip to the vet once a month for a tube of flea medicine will solve the problem permanently.

ANIMAL LICE: Lice, like fleas, are very quick and jump. Again, though, they are host specific: bird lice attack birds, and humans don't taste good to them. Same with lice found on other animals. They starve to death on humans...unless your pet rhesus monkey or chimp has lice, of course. Those will jump on us as lunch in a snap.

However, animal lice will jump and run around on humans before starving to death...which is uncomfortable and disconcerting. A quick remedy for animal and bird lice is delousing medications purchased at any vet supply or pet supply outlet.

HUMAN LICE: This is a problem. It requires a tedious amount of work, not unlike treating pin worms in children. It also must be reported to the social services and the school district because the entire school must be cleaned and the childrens' parents notified of a lice outbreak. The treatment is special shampoos...or used to be.

BED BUGS, SCABIES, and other TICKS: shudder. Let's not go there today. I'm getting twitchy.

Old 10-10-2008, 09:18 AM

4,897 posts, read 18,445,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiffela74 View Post
lol....all those options and it was none of the above, eh? go figure...
well, im glad it was a lone bug. thats happiness!!!!
Im all about the tea tree oil! i work w/kids, in very very close contact and we've had several lice outbreaks. My oldest had it 2x and then we started in w/using TeaTree oil shampoo. LOVE IT!!! Even when we've had outbreaks at my work, my youngest daughters best friend came down w/it, and we got a call 2days after my oldest was at a slumber party that the other girls came down w/it, we havent had a single lice since using the teatree oil shampoo! Im all for it!!!!!!
I think it keeps the fleas away too.
can you recommend a shampoo? my son is 2.5--is he too young?

Old 10-12-2008, 09:41 PM

2,743 posts, read 14,261,978 times
Adult Lice ARE brown, but lighter than a flea.

Fleas are fast. And almost black.

I wouldn't hesitate to use TT oil shampoo on a little kid but do not get it in the eyes.

I've also heard some parents swear by putting a light spritz of hair spray in their child's hair each day, then brushing it through. Supposedly the lice don't like it, makes it hard to attach or something. ::shrug:::

I have used TT Oil shampoo on the kids as well as making my own by adding TT Oil to regular shampoo. It stinks though so I always follow up with some conditioner that smells good.

Old 01-09-2009, 10:32 AM

1 posts, read 7,457 times
peppermint oil works well. my son had lice two years ago and again this winter. we were given a bottle of a non-chemical liquid (Licenex or Licenix?) that dries quick and doesn't cause breakouts (sensitive skin runs in the family). we don't have the trouble with nits, maybe because of enzymes in the product? Has anyone else tried it or something similar? Also, if anyone has really sensitive skin, what has worked for you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting