Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Hnads-off or Hands-on?
Hands-on 17 68.00%
Hands-off 8 32.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2008, 09:32 AM

697 posts, read 2,014,601 times

Advertisements

You are completely disregarding the middle ground. There is no balance if you are one extreme or the other. There's a lot of room between the two.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2008, 09:37 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,636,263 times
[quote=nuala;5610049]
Quote:
Do you like fancy yourself a hands-on or hands-off parent?

Do you think you should get involved into every aspect of your child's school life, know all assignments, check all homework, volunteer for the sake of knowing what's going on with your child? Do you feel that it's your responsibility to think about your child's future and guide him/her there?
Yes, I am extremely hands on. I do all of those things you mention.

Quote:
Not to say that we all should divorce or take a job to be away for months, but. I personally feel that I can't or don't want to be the over-bearing parent, look after every step of my children. I think there should be a buffer zone where they should make their own decisions - of being on time, of doing homework, of figuring what they want to be

I understand what you are saying, but I also believe that in these times, and in my family's distinct circumstances, I would be remiss and derelict as a parent to not be cognizant of EVERYTHING going on in the lives of my children. As far as them figuring out what they want to be, that is up to them.

Old 10-09-2008, 11:43 AM

3,574 posts, read 14,339,300 times
Please, please be hands-off when they get to college!

Old 10-09-2008, 01:42 PM

909 posts, read 3,362,656 times
Well, for now we are hands on because our kids are still very young (3 and 16 mo). But even now there are situations where we are starting to be a little hands off. Meaning, as long as we know they are not in imminent danger, we let them fall, bump their heads, get a cut on their knee, etc.

To the OP I would say the two examples you gave are exemplary; however IMO it could have just as easily gone the other way. I think it says more about the kids than the parenting.

Old 10-16-2008, 08:51 AM

515 posts, read 1,557,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maestramommy View Post
I think it says more about the kids than the parenting.
This is too true. I was much more hands-on with my boys than I needed to be with my girl... It all depends on the child and the circumstances.

~D
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting