Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-10-2008, 10:18 PM

3,853 posts, read 12,863,253 times

Advertisements

Hulu - NBC Nightly News with Brian Williams: Safe Haven Law has Unintended Consequences (http://www.hulu.com/watch/38459/nbc-nightly-news-with-brian-williams-safe-haven-law-has-unintended-consequences#119.452#in-playlist - broken link)

Edit: is there any way to edit the title lol? Guess you can't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2008, 11:07 PM

8,289 posts, read 13,559,257 times
Overwhelmed? this is simply disgusting to abandon children regardless of their ages. If you can't deal with the responsibilty of being a parent then don't have them. Go buy condoms which is cheaper than dumping your irresponsibilties on the rest of society.
Some people have no right having children.

Old 10-11-2008, 02:53 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,639,854 times
Unfortunately, some kids grow up with a mind of their own.

Do you think Jeffrey Dahmer's parents expected him to turn out as he did?

Old 10-11-2008, 03:53 AM

1,942 posts, read 8,488,979 times
While I don't think it is right of the parents to do that, we can't really say "if you can't be a parent, don't have children". While I agree with that comment.......it's already been done and saying it to someone who already had the children, is pointless.

However, I think I would rather have the children dumped at a hospital, then have the parents get even more overwhelmed by keeping the children, and abusing them, or killing them. Which does happen. Constantly.

Old 10-11-2008, 08:24 AM

168 posts, read 672,401 times
I'm afraid I agree with Mrs. Bewitched. The alternative is too horrible to consider...and has and will continue to happen in other states. A guy in Texas just killed his entire family (one son with a full ride scholarship to university), all his other children and wife. Because of his losses in the stock market. I'd rather they abandoned them to the authorities rather than kill them or, worse, toss them out in the wilderness (city or country) like they do their pets, to fend for themselves.

If the parents are going to abandon them, they will do it, anyway. Yes, they shouldn't have had the children to begin with if they weren't prepared to nurture and support them through tough times and good, but that's beside the point. We don't require a parenting certificate prior to permitting parenthood.

Old 10-11-2008, 08:44 AM

3,842 posts, read 10,508,743 times
Before so harshly judging people you have no clue about other than reading/watching an news report...think if you were in their position....if you can't think like that, be grateful you are of the HEALTHY mindset to know how to care for yourself & children.

What if this was you? What if you were in this place that this was the option you decided to take?

Most people who make this decision don't go out for a celebration party after dropping off their children. Many have addiction issues, employment issues, and other things that those who live a healthy life could never imagine.

Maybe they should have thought prior to having a child. Probably lots of "maybes" in their lives.

And I bet they are thinking the same thing.

At least some of these people are strong enough to take their children somewhere instead of the other route.

I am thankful I was raised to be able to care for myself & others. I am thankful that I can financially support myself if something were to occur to my dh.

Not EVERY SINGLE human on this earth has been raised in a manner that allows for self-sufficiency.

Therefore, prior to throwing rocks at them, think of how lucky & blessed you are that you are not in their shoes. And think what they'd give to be in yours.

Old 10-11-2008, 09:06 AM

2,790 posts, read 6,349,956 times
Michigan also has a safe haven law for infants. A few years back there was a big story of a woman who instead of abandoning her daughters was pimping them out to make money for the family. She got caught only because she answered an ad for an undercover police sting for sexual predators. How much better it would have been for those little girls to have been left at a hospital.

I agree that parents who abandon their childrne don't do it lightly. I think the real crime is that there are few alternatives and resources, and those that do exist are not well publized.

Old 10-11-2008, 09:08 AM

3,842 posts, read 10,508,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EJRuek View Post
I'm afraid I agree with Mrs. Bewitched. The alternative is too horrible to consider...and has and will continue to happen in other states. A guy in Texas just killed his entire family (one son with a full ride scholarship to university), all his other children and wife. Because of his losses in the stock market. I'd rather they abandoned them to the authorities rather than kill them or, worse, toss them out in the wilderness (city or country) like they do their pets, to fend for themselves.

If the parents are going to abandon them, they will do it, anyway. Yes, they shouldn't have had the children to begin with if they weren't prepared to nurture and support them through tough times and good, but that's beside the point. We don't require a parenting certificate prior to permitting parenthood.
These people have much deeper issues than losing money in the stock market. Some guy in SOCAL just did the same thing b/c he had been unemployed. The stock market & unemployment was the final straw. When I was in the Army, there were many suicides; especially in Iraq. Believe me, these Soldiers had issues far deeper than being deployed or having to work on the weekends. They were mentally unstable & had been for some time. It was the deployment or the rules of the military that were the final straw.

To kill your family & yourself is not a normal thing. People who do this have hit some wall & gone into a very deep & scary place. It doesn't happen overnight.

As for Jeffrey Dahmer reference...again, not a normal, functioning adult.

Old 10-11-2008, 09:13 AM

168 posts, read 672,401 times
I agree. These folks do have deeper issues, but it's too late to deal with those issues once everyone is dead. If we as a society give every opportunity for people with this tendency toward fatalism to hold some knowledge that there are alternatives available, perhaps we could save some? We're always going to have some failure rates, but offering some doorways can only help. Just my opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting