Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2008, 02:32 PM

168 posts, read 672,568 times

Advertisements

I find kids tend to limit themselves unless undue, unwarranted, and even, perhaps, malicious influence is applied to their choices. I'd certainly arch eyebrows if a normal eight year old brought home Lord of the Flies, Animal House, or Of Mice and Men. However, that said, I was a child who was reading the Chicago Tribune and the Christian Science Monitor way younger than that and comprehending what I read, so I think it depends on the child.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2008, 05:55 AM

5,047 posts, read 5,801,905 times
My 8 year old son is reading at 7.5 level. He has been reading the third book in the eragon series for 3 weeks now and is almost finished. I help him with his choices at the library and will put books back that I find inappropriate for him.

His teacher is wonderful ; she will not stop him reading and will not let him take a book out at the library that the librarian thinks is on his level ; the librarian seems to want to dumb him down and to stay on the level of the grade.

d

Old 10-16-2008, 12:34 PM

2,542 posts, read 6,914,887 times
I read once that one mom often reads the books beforehand and then writes in the margin "We should talk about this" or "How do you feel the character should have acted", etc. I think it is a neat idea for younger children--it makes sure that you know what they are reading, allows them to explore wider issues/situations without doing it alone, and, most importantly, introduces the practice of critical reading. Obviously, this method isn't for older children who might resent you for doing it, but I think its perfect for younger, advanced children.

Even if you don't want to write in the margins (or it is a library book), if you are a fast reader, you could either finish the book or get a good way through a book while your child is at school. Read a little from the beginning, then flip to somewhere in the middle and read some, then flip to the back/ending and read. While you may still miss an important issue doing this speed reading, for most books you will find that it works well. If you find an area in the book that is questionable, slow down and read more and then decide if your child should wait to read it or if they can still read it but that you two should discuss the issue.

Old 10-16-2008, 12:46 PM

103 posts, read 269,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EJRuek View Post
I think that a child should be allowed to read whatever they themselves (without influence from others) choose to read. If a child is capable of comprehending the reading level or makes the effort to discern the meaning using the dictionary or query, I think that should be encouraged. What I object to is for outside influences to "guide" a child's reading.
I agree! My daughter was 7 when she read "Catcher in the Rye." I never limited her choice in what books she could check out of the library. She is now 22 and loves reading books of every different genre. She does have a preference, but she developed that on her own with no influence from me or anyone else.

Old 10-16-2008, 04:48 PM

3,086 posts, read 7,613,969 times
I agree that many kids will self limit, as mine certainly do.

My 5th grader reads far above her grade level and I've not yet seen anything that I would have kept from her for any reason. We are all big readers in my house and I've found no reason to consider put any constraints on any of my kids.

Old 10-16-2008, 06:18 PM

107 posts, read 398,322 times
My mom never monitored my book selections. She knew I loved to read (When I was punished she would allow me to do everything but read-I hated those punishments and finally my grandmother brought me a little flashlight and I would read under my covers at night...yay for grandmom! ) Ok I regressed.
Because my mom didn't monitor my books, I read things that were completely inappropriate. I loved non fiction books about serial killers, etc. I would stay up all night scared that the serial killer was coming after me! Of course, I kept reading the book! LOL My daughter hates to read...so I have to force her to read! Go figure!

Ok, I regressed yet again....

Old 10-16-2008, 07:04 PM

168 posts, read 672,568 times
Were they inappropriate? You seem just fine to me.

Old 10-16-2008, 07:23 PM

107 posts, read 398,322 times
yeah they were inappropriate but i still liked reading "scary" things.... im sure all kids have preference with reading material....

Old 03-08-2011, 08:26 PM

5 posts, read 6,074 times
My 4th grade daughter reads at the 10th grade level, and my 2nd grade son tested past the limits of the test, which goes through 5th grade. Finding books with safe content is tough. I want my children to be able to choose and experience the realities of life, but in digestible portions! I do not shelter them, but I don't think the Catcher in the Rye is quite appropriate, either. My son, especially, benefits from the joy of nonfiction. The level is higher, but the content is a bit more mild. When it comes to my daughter, though, I have to help her understand the importance of choosing books that will help her grow as a person without stealing her childhood and innocence. Now that she understands, she is able to choose herself.

Old 03-08-2011, 09:05 PM

1,364 posts, read 4,146,477 times
I don't monitor content at all. My child can usually figure out the gist of the meaning, and if he's old enough to be curious enough to ask, then he's old enough to learn.

On the plus side, he mostly sticks to age appropriate books, but every now and then, graphic novels/comics come a'knockin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting