U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-15-2007, 09:12 PM
 
Location: Springfield, Missouri
2,814 posts, read 11,898,924 times
Reputation: 2000001281

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAINBOWS View Post
MoMark,
All I can say is...WOW! I don't watch that show, but I have heard about it. I would try anything at this point to wake and shake people up a bit..........
BUT WHAT DO I KNOW...I'm from the "Old School"...

Which reminds me...WHY DID THEY TAKE RELIGION AND DISCIPLINE OUT OF THE SCHOOLS??? It worked for our generation!!
We had school prayer in 1969 in the primary school I went to in Canyonville, Oregon. We said a prayer together, the whole cafeteria, before we could start eating. I still remember the prayer:
"God is great, God is good, let us thank Him for our food, amen."

Now in Oregon there's a child molester who was recently arrested for child porn and is soon due back in court who walks out of his house naked and flashes the children on the local schoolbus as it goes past his home. He's even been videotaped doing it.
Will the Oregon authorities do anything about it? Nope.
Why not?
Because he's not sexually manipulating himself or touching his ***** in front of the children.

Oregon has changed a lot since I was a first grader.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-15-2007, 09:22 PM
 
Location: NE Florida
9,362 posts, read 22,348,089 times
Reputation: 9263
We still say that at dinner, except my grand daughter got it backward and so when it's her turn to say grace she says, "God is good, God is great, let us thank him for what he did create!

[quote=MoMark;372024]We had school prayer in 1969 in the primary school I went to in Canyonville, Oregon. We said a prayer together, the whole cafeteria, before we could start eating. I still remember the prayer:
"God is great, God is good, let us thank Him for our food, amen."
QUOTE]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-16-2007, 08:27 AM
 
Location: Beautiful TN!
5,453 posts, read 7,192,250 times
Reputation: 5647
I second getting professional help. We had the very same problem with my youngest child. He got to a point where he would sneak out of his bedroom window at night after he thought everyone was asleep. Long story short he was drinking and also doing drugs, skipping school - you name it, he did it. It was a nightmare and he was spinning out of control, professional help came in and now he is finally graduated from high school and looking into college. I'd like to state that he too, began all of this at 16, he is now 22. Good luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-16-2007, 11:13 AM
 
Location: Central Jersey - Florida
3,314 posts, read 12,266,480 times
Reputation: 2094
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoMark View Post
I realize it's brain-killing, but I am addicted to The Housewives of Orange County or whatever the title of the show is.
I watched the latest episode and that new lady, the one who was rich, husband blew it, divorced, they went "poor".... well, her daughter gets her driver's license and drives the car. She has an accident the day after she gets the license. So...
The next day her real dad takes a 16 year old girl to the local BMW dealership and buys her a new BMW!!! Oh, that's not good enough....she wants power seats too, so the first one she settled on gets traded for a pricier version. When she pulls up to the house her mother is renting, her mother asks her, "How are you going to pay for everything?" (meaning insurance and maintenance I suppose). The spoiled daughter says: "Oh, daddy's paying all that".
I find that sickening.
MoMark, you know what I find more sickening. The fact that a father sees the need to give a 16 year old a vehicle like that. First off if I were to buy my children a new vehicle (which never did or never would happen) I would definitely make sure I purchased them the safest vehicle and not the flashiest (no BMW vehicles are in the top five of any class). Thankfullly my children are older now and I think the rules and limits that were applied to them when they were younger have served them well. I know they understand now that things we did as parents when they were younger was for a purpose. Obviously they did not always like the decisions made back then and like any other teenagers there was some rebellion. It was short lived though. I think one great benefit for us was the fact that my children were heavily involved in sports. Between practice and games they barely had time to think and get their school work done. You know what they say about "idle minds and idle time". Unfortuneatly many of todays youngsters have no goals or aspirations. Their role models as a whole leave much to be desired and the need to have what others have is in my opinion the biggest problem of all. I think many parents have to wake up and realize that the greatest gift they can give to their kids may be giving them nothing at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-16-2007, 11:18 AM
 
Location: Central Jersey - Florida
3,314 posts, read 12,266,480 times
Reputation: 2094
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoMark View Post
We had school prayer in 1969 in the primary school I went to in Canyonville, Oregon. We said a prayer together, the whole cafeteria, before we could start eating. I still remember the prayer:
"God is great, God is good, let us thank Him for our food, amen."

Now in Oregon there's a child molester who was recently arrested for child porn and is soon due back in court who walks out of his house naked and flashes the children on the local schoolbus as it goes past his home. He's even been videotaped doing it.
Will the Oregon authorities do anything about it? Nope.
Why not?
Because he's not sexually manipulating himself or touching his ***** in front of the children.

Oregon has changed a lot since I was a first grader.
Just curious, dosen't Oregon have public lewdness laws. Also (not that I am promoting violence ) why hasn't this guy been ahh....ummm...ohhh...spoken to. Seems to me if there was a person around like that when I was growing up he would have been handled one way or another.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-16-2007, 11:39 AM
 
Location: on an island
13,374 posts, read 40,172,713 times
Reputation: 13181
MoMark
That's the Romper Room grace. I remember it well

I don't see how the schools are to blame of our own kid's misbehavior. We had corporal punishment and pledge allegiance to the flag and all that good stuff but I don't think it made me any better a student than my own kids turned out to be. I did bad stuff but simply did not get caught.

I do agree that giving your children many material things but not discipline or attention does your child a tremendous disservice.

We have two boys, one is 23 and in grad school, the other 17 and a senior in high school.

The older one was lovely as a young child, but then puberty happened.
He led us on a merry path of all the parents' worst nightmares.
He rebelled in just about every way he could. As soon as he got out of our household he was accountable only to himself, and that was just the way he wanted it. He ended up on the dean's list and now is every parent's dream come true.

The younger one was rotten as a little kid, ran us ragged. But as a teen he has been an absolute angel. [img]http://******************/angel-smiley-5083.gif[/img]

I would not say that I am from the Old School, but I do think a parent has to be a Parent--not their kid's best friend. We are the ones who have to tell their kids things they do not necessarily want to hear.
On the other hand, we should not be so busy conspiring and disciplining and lecturing that we do not *listen* to our kids.

I agree with hereinfla that mentors and counseling can be really helpful.
As it turned out, our older son's boss at his part-time job turned out to be a wonderful mentor for him; they are good friends to this day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-16-2007, 12:35 PM
 
Location: Springfield, Missouri
2,814 posts, read 11,898,924 times
Reputation: 2000001281
[quote=hereinfla;372046]We still say that at dinner, except my grand daughter got it backward and so when it's her turn to say grace she says, "God is good, God is great, let us thank him for what he did create!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoMark View Post
We had school prayer in 1969 in the primary school I went to in Canyonville, Oregon. We said a prayer together, the whole cafeteria, before we could start eating. I still remember the prayer:
"God is great, God is good, let us thank Him for our food, amen."
QUOTE]
Well, your grandaughter is literally correct!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-16-2007, 12:38 PM
 
Location: Springfield, Missouri
2,814 posts, read 11,898,924 times
Reputation: 2000001281
Quote:
Originally Posted by exhdo1 View Post
Just curious, dosen't Oregon have public lewdness laws. Also (not that I am promoting violence ) why hasn't this guy been ahh....ummm...ohhh...spoken to. Seems to me if there was a person around like that when I was growing up he would have been handled one way or another.
From what I saw, they do have public lewdness laws, but he has to touch his willy in front of the children for it to be applied to him according to the local sheriff.

Had it been when I was a kid, a group of dads would have paid him a visit and his coloring would include bits of blue and black.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-16-2007, 02:01 PM
 
Location: Acworth, Georgia
27 posts, read 144,097 times
Reputation: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by cassy1 View Post
I second getting professional help. We had the very same problem with my youngest child. He got to a point where he would sneak out of his bedroom window at night after he thought everyone was asleep. Long story short he was drinking and also doing drugs, skipping school - you name it, he did it. It was a nightmare and he was spinning out of control, professional help came in and now he is finally graduated from high school and looking into college. I'd like to state that he too, began all of this at 16, he is now 22. Good luck.
You JUST described my son to a T. SCARY!!! Hereinfla gave me some professional leads that I very much intend on checking out. PRAY THAT I MAKE IT THROUGH THIS TIME. Thank you for sharing your story with me!! Means soo much!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-16-2007, 02:07 PM
 
Location: Acworth, Georgia
27 posts, read 144,097 times
Reputation: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by cil View Post
MoMark
That's the Romper Room grace. I remember it well

I don't see how the schools are to blame of our own kid's misbehavior. We had corporal punishment and pledge allegiance to the flag and all that good stuff but I don't think it made me any better a student than my own kids turned out to be. I did bad stuff but simply did not get caught.

I do agree that giving your children many material things but not discipline or attention does your child a tremendous disservice.

We have two boys, one is 23 and in grad school, the other 17 and a senior in high school.

The older one was lovely as a young child, but then puberty happened.
He led us on a merry path of all the parents' worst nightmares.
He rebelled in just about every way he could. As soon as he got out of our household he was accountable only to himself, and that was just the way he wanted it. He ended up on the dean's list and now is every parent's dream come true.

The younger one was rotten as a little kid, ran us ragged. But as a teen he has been an absolute angel. [img]http://******************/angel-smiley-5083.gif[/img]

I would not say that I am from the Old School, but I do think a parent has to be a Parent--not their kid's best friend. We are the ones who have to tell their kids things they do not necessarily want to hear.
On the other hand, we should not be so busy conspiring and disciplining and lecturing that we do not *listen* to our kids.

I agree with hereinfla that mentors and counseling can be really helpful.
As it turned out, our older son's boss at his part-time job turned out to be a wonderful mentor for him; they are good friends to this day.

I really appreciate you sharing your story with me! It is such an inspiration! I have NEVER been a part of a forum before, nor was I familiar with threads. It all started out as me just searching for a place to live in Georgia. I am soo blessed to have found this sight which such wonderful people as yourself. Hereinfla has been a BIG HELP as well. I will be checking her referral out Monday morning. I AM TRULY BLESSED...and I know it....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top