Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2008, 02:44 PM

1,273 posts, read 4,159,232 times

Advertisements

I'm just curious. Does anyone here practice faithful religion at home?

Growing up, we weren't religious at all. I found a non-denominational christian church a year ago. We joined as a family, but i don't go as much as I used to. I was even baptized.

I'm really considering on trying to get there every sunday, but the kids don't want to go at all. The last time we went, my son was sleeping in his chair, and my daughter kept saying how much they had to use the bathroom (14 & 16 yo).

I know it's partially my fault for not getting them involved sooner. I know that if they would have been used to going since they were younger, they'd be more willing to participate.

Just curious to see what other's views are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2008, 02:48 PM

3,032 posts, read 8,918,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leilani Vasquez View Post
I know that if they would have been used to going since they were younger, they'd be more willing to participate.

Just curious to see what other's views are.
Not necessarily. Perhaps your flavor of religion just isn't for them. I grew up in a devout christian household, and I NEVER wanted to go to church and was always very bored there despite the fact that I was taken from the time I was born. Maybe your kids just don't enjoy it. Maybe religion isn't for them. At the age they are, they're old enough to decide for themselves what they believe.

Old 10-20-2008, 03:39 PM

I just want to gain more spirituality at this point in my life. I don't want to force religion down their throats though.

Old 10-20-2008, 03:56 PM

2,839 posts, read 9,980,333 times
Yes, my children attend a Christian church regularly with my me and my husband. They enjoy their children's program. They also attend a Bible study for homeschooled children while I attend one for women. Again, they enjoy this. At their ages, 7 and 5, this is not a choice. They cannot stay home alone, and I'm not willing to give up my fellowship. They have never said that they did NOT want to go, I'm just saying that it's not an option for them at this point. We also pray daily and have a devotion as part of our homeschooling day.

I'm hoping that starting young will pay off in the future. It does say in the Bible, "train a child in the way he should go, and when he is old, he will not stray from it." I know that it's not a guarantee, but it would make sense that training them in truth when they're young will help them to recognize it and hopefully, practice it, when they're older.

I'm sorry that you're having trouble getting your teens to go. Is it possible that it's the church itself that is the problem? Maybe if you found one with an active youth group, if this one does not have one, that would help? If you continue setting a good example, maybe they'll pick up on it.

I was not raised with any real religion (we were "non practicing Catholic"), but I sought it out on my own as a teen/young adult. I also know people who were raised in evangelical households who no longer practice or believe in anything. So it can go either way.

Old 10-20-2008, 04:02 PM

I had never considered seeking out religion until these past few years. I was hoping that it would strengthen my family.

I am recently separated from my husband.

The church i selected is huge and has a lot of programs that i find beneficial. they have youth church and other programs for children of all ages.

There's also a group for new members. They have meetings every thursday night. I found this to be like therapy. I feel extremely inspired when i leave. I just wish my kids would feel the same way.

To get an idea of the church, here's the website:

The First Cathedral

Old 10-20-2008, 04:12 PM

168 posts, read 672,446 times
Umm...maybe it's the separation that's causing the disinterest. Maybe their focus is a bit more on what they consider pressing concerns...like security and stability...like dad and mom not being dad and mom for them anymore. Sometimes it's better to not change life ways and patterns when something big like this happens. I know that you feel that you need the fellowship, but maybe they just see this as something more "over the top" that's symptomatic of more scary changes happening? If they are teens or pre-teens, now is not the time to start trying to influence their ideological persuasion. Now is the time for as much stability, security, and trust between you and them as possible.

Old 10-20-2008, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EJRuek View Post
Umm...maybe it's the separation that's causing the disinterest. Maybe their focus is a bit more on what they consider pressing concerns...like security and stability...like dad and mom not being dad and mom for them anymore. Sometimes it's better to not change life ways and patterns when something big like this happens. I know that you feel that you need the fellowship, but maybe they just see this as something more "over the top" that's symptomatic of more scary changes happening? If they are teens or pre-teens, now is not the time to start trying to influence their ideological persuasion. Now is the time for as much stability, security, and trust between you and them as possible.
And I do provide that. We haven't been to church since before the separation. They were acting like this when we all went as a family.

I do have all of us in therapy at the moment, and that seems to be going pretty well.

Old 10-20-2008, 04:40 PM

I think the therapy will help. A question of "when" did they start acting "disinterested" comes to my mind. Was it when there were problems developing in your spousal relationship? Because kids are canny and can easily sense these stresses to their parents' relationship. If it was before any stresses happened, then have you asked them about their choices of belief? Maybe they've decided they don't want to believe anymore. It happens. They usually come home to the religion of their family once they explore on their own for a few years.

Old 10-20-2008, 04:52 PM

It was as soon as we started going to church, which was about 2 years ago.

It's my fault I didn't raise them with any religion.

Old 10-20-2008, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leilani Vasquez View Post
It was as soon as we started going to church, which was about 2 years ago.

It's my fault I didn't raise them with any religion.
Fault? O-kaaay. Here's where I draw the line in continuing this conversation because what you seem to be suggesting is that you made a mistake in not indoctrinating them...so, in fact, you would like to cram YOUR religion down their throats. I'm outa this thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting