Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2012, 07:59 PM

417 posts, read 825,067 times

Advertisements

As long as they have a costume there are no limits. In fact, parents often present their bag and say the phrase along with their kids. It's usually the littlest ones whose parents go to the door with them though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2012, 08:37 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,481,027 times
37 :d

Old 10-30-2012, 08:52 PM

1,899 posts, read 2,851,624 times
I stopped at 17 when I was a Senior in high school.
One of my last years we had a group of 5 girls and 2 guys. I was a ballerina for many years so I had a lot of ballet costumes from different recitals and shows. The girls were all ballerinas and the guys wore a curtain rod between them with a curtain. When someone would open a door, the guys would open the curtain and we would do a dance for them. It was so much fun and we even had a few houses ask us to wait while they went to get a camera. We were all between the ages of 16-19. I will never forget that Halloween. I am smiling as I type this and think back.
I say that there is no age limit. There are much worse thing a teenager can be doing than dressing up and acting like a 5 year old for a night.

Old 10-31-2012, 01:38 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,698,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coastalgirl View Post
We do the same thing. Young children get Reese Cups or something else good, older children (teens), kids who were driven in from outside the neighborhood and anyone not in a costume get one Tootsie Roll.
I'd probably do the reverse. I know from my own kids that the very young ones end up playing with the candy and it ends up getting tossed or put up where they can't get it until it turns stale and I hate seeing my money wasted. Bigger kids would enjoy the better candy more, and be more likely to actually eat and enjoy it.

I can't look at any kid who is just trying to have some fun and try to make them feel bad, and it's not the kids' fault if the parents won't buy them a costume - most kids want to wear them, it's funner, but they don't all have the means or the parents that will make any effort for them.

Old 11-01-2012, 08:38 AM

365 posts, read 490,165 times
I stopped around 10; but i've always been ahead of most people in my class. I'm always around people in their 20's just cause i get along with them better i can relate to similar issues/problems. It all matters what type of child you have; the mature type will stop and rather give out candy and spread joy; others will still want candy for themselves it's all about the personality of the person.

Old 11-01-2012, 09:41 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by num1baby View Post
I stopped at 17 when I was a Senior in high school.
One of my last years we had a group of 5 girls and 2 guys. I was a ballerina for many years so I had a lot of ballet costumes from different recitals and shows. The girls were all ballerinas and the guys wore a curtain rod between them with a curtain. When someone would open a door, the guys would open the curtain and we would do a dance for them. It was so much fun and we even had a few houses ask us to wait while they went to get a camera. We were all between the ages of 16-19. I will never forget that Halloween. I am smiling as I type this and think back.
I say that there is no age limit. There are much worse thing a teenager can be doing than dressing up and acting like a 5 year old for a night.
What a cute story! I said about a year ago on this thread that my younger daughter went till she was about 15. She was a gymnast, and dressed up in her high school warm-up suit and wore one of her medals. Someone asked her to do a trick when she said "Trick or Treat", so she did a cartwheel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenion View Post
I stopped around 10; but i've always been ahead of most people in my class. I'm always around people in their 20's just cause i get along with them better i can relate to similar issues/problems. It all matters what type of child you have; the mature type will stop and rather give out candy and spread joy; others will still want candy for themselves it's all about the personality of the person.
I don't think it's a maturity thing at all. Some kids just get a kick out of it, others don't.

Old 11-01-2012, 10:55 PM

472 posts, read 740,775 times
I don't know what my age was when I quit, but is was about the time the other kids started teasing me about it.

Old 11-02-2012, 08:25 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,810,729 times
Our son (17) went this year. Some people refsed to give him candy.

Old 11-03-2012, 04:15 AM

7,975 posts, read 7,351,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rezfreak View Post
I have a separate bowl for older obviously highschool kids. Its the nasty candy. My kids will stop at 10-11.
That's what DH used to do many years ago when we lived in a city row home. The area was very profitable for trick or treaters, and they used to drive them in from other parts of town. We got a lot of full grown ones who looked to be in their late teens. Some of the neighbors told me these big kids were from the Projects. They wore no costumes whatsoever and were really rude - they'd thrust a pillow case in our faces, and NEVER say thank you. We gave them a small pack of stale Lemon Heads or Smarties (picked up from some clearance bin months before). The little kids in costumes got the GOOD stuff.

When my oldest was a teenager, she liked to wear a costume when she took her little sister out trick or treating, but she wouldn't go up to the door. If the people saw her, they usually gave her candy anyway! Break off for trick or treat for my kids was 13.

Last edited by Mrs. Skeffington; 11-03-2012 at 04:25 AM..

Old 11-03-2012, 06:33 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,810,729 times
In my wife's hometown, the adults went trick or treating with their kids, or often on their own. However instead of a bag for candy, they carried a wine glass. The homes would keep an open bottle of wine at the door as well as candy. I doubt any of the adults covered 40 houses the way kids try to do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting