U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2012, 08:34 AM

15,546 posts, read 14,872,981 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Our son (17) went this year. Some people refsed to give him candy.
If someone is wearing a costume I would give them candy,no matter how old they are..
Teenagers who are not wearing a costume have to say what they are, usually they are able to come up with a name of a current musician or author.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2012, 09:41 AM

65 posts, read 128,666 times
A friend of mine had a grown woman, well into her 40s, show up at her door on Halloween with her dog wearing a costume. My friend was so stunned that she gave her candy.

As for the question, I think Trick-or-Treating should stop in your early teens. But, anyone expecting candy should at least put in the effort to make or buy a decent costume. If you show up at my door in jeans and a hoodie, you aren't getting a thing. I Trick-or-Treated up until I was 13, but I made sure that my costume was obvious. I was also always polite and said thank you.

Old 11-03-2012, 11:05 AM

47,576 posts, read 57,593,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Our son (17) went this year. Some people refsed to give him candy.
How can people be so mean. My son is 17, he didn't go this year or last - last year he still half wanted to but decided against it -- childhood is so short as it is, there's nothing wrong with stretching it out.

I still want them to enjoy something of it so now we watch scary movies and I put candy in bowls -- the good kind too.

Old 11-03-2012, 11:08 AM

47,576 posts, read 57,593,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txrenter10 View Post
A friend of mine had a grown woman, well into her 40s, show up at her door on Halloween with her dog wearing a costume. My friend was so stunned that she gave her candy.

As for the question, I think Trick-or-Treating should stop in your early teens. But, anyone expecting candy should at least put in the effort to make or buy a decent costume. If you show up at my door in jeans and a hoodie, you aren't getting a thing. I Trick-or-Treated up until I was 13, but I made sure that my costume was obvious. I was also always polite and said thank you.
When I lived in a certain neighborhood in the city I'm in, it was not at all unusual to have adults over 20 or 30 come for candy -- one elderly couple showed up, not in costumes but both the man and woman each with a bag, and they had to be over 70. And very often you see very young mothers of 16 or 17 in costumes and with their babies in costumes.

Old 11-03-2012, 11:20 AM

4,759 posts, read 8,142,781 times
Smile My neighborhood.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelleleigh View Post
Wow, my last time was when i was 17, went with some friends we had a lot of fun
My kids loved going. As they got older, they put on rollerblades and used pillowcases for all their loot. Yes, they did it through high school. Usually, a bunch would go together.

As a kid myself, I was probably around 13 but I remember my first year of community college, my best friend wanted to go out so we got all dressed up (she was a fairy princess; I was a hobo) and I went to my boyfriend's house and he did not even recognize us. We had fun though!

As far as this year went, we did have many kids. Ten years ago, we would have over 100, maybe even 150

Old 11-03-2012, 11:59 AM

15,045 posts, read 16,313,637 times
Back when I was a child, my parents used to dress up and go with us, but we went to relatives and family and they had to guess who was who. My parents didn't necessarily want candy, but they pretended for us. It was lots of fun. When we went in the neighborhood, they did not go up to the door with us though.

Old 11-04-2012, 06:24 AM

5,930 posts, read 4,959,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
Back when I was a child, my parents used to dress up and go with us, but we went to relatives and family and they had to guess who was who. My parents didn't necessarily want candy, but they pretended for us. It was lots of fun. When we went in the neighborhood, they did not go up to the door with us though.
LOL!!!! One year my mom was a leopard and my dad was President Kennedy (it was the year before the assassination). He had this awesome JFK mask. My aunt and uncle couldn't guess who they were!

Old 11-05-2013, 11:52 AM

2,673 posts, read 3,019,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SubaruFiend View Post
I was 18 the last time I went......... and me and my two friends had NO shame about it! I LOVE halloween and I'm SO glad that I trick or treated until I was 18! I say until the kid decides they want to stop. For me I NEVER wanted to stop but I KNEW that our stupid society would look down on my trick or treating at the age of 21 :P

Just kidding.

But anyways, I don't care if school age kids come around, as long as their polite and not rude (some ARE) And one thing is for sure, I HATE giving treats to the high school kids who wear their everyday clothes for "costumes"! C'MON, at LEAST put on a MASK or SOMETHING!!!!

(my friends and I dressed up as "babies" the last year we went. Pajamas, freckles, pigtails.... good times!)

Halloween is for school aged kids! The Trick or Treat part is, anyway. If anything remotely bothers me about Halloween lately, it's the inclusion of babies and toddlers.

Why?
So mom can eat the candy?

Old 11-05-2013, 07:07 PM

83,507 posts, read 96,527,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warren zee View Post
Halloween is for school aged kids! The Trick or Treat part is, anyway. If anything remotely bothers me about Halloween lately, it's the inclusion of babies and toddlers.

Why?
So mom can eat the candy?
^^Lately? When our oldest was three (1987), we also had a 3 month old. My mom asked if we were taking the younger one along with the older one and when we said yes, she said she took my bro when he was 3 months back in 1950. I was about 17 months at the time. My gosh, you go to a few houses with these little kids and then go home. Lighten up.

Old 11-05-2013, 07:15 PM

386 posts, read 512,617 times
Never been trick or treating
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or