U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread
Old 11-01-2011, 10:38 AM
1 posts, read 888 times

haha my mom was around 30 when she stoped
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2011, 12:03 PM
235 posts, read 423,341 times
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
Halloween is for everyone, but trick-or-treating is for kids. If you are old enough to get a job and buy your own candy, then you're too old to come to my house begging for it. ESPECIALLY if you can't even be bothered to buy some cheap eye mask from the dollar store and PRETEND you're in costume.
Could not agree more. I think around middle school is when the cut off should be. Once you're old enough to buy your own candy you should not be T or T'ing. If you love Halloween and want to get dressed up, have a party or dress up & hand out candy to the little kids. 18 is way too old to be going around getting free candy from your neighbors IMO.
Old 11-01-2011, 01:38 PM
14,735 posts, read 32,889,282 times
We got few trick or treaters this year, but were also gone most of the time to my parents town where it is a big event. Though we did get one funny group that my wife had to deal with.

She opens the door to find 4 kids between say 10 and 12 standing there in costume. Standing behind them in costume and smoking a cigarette while talking on a cell phone was what we assumed was their around 16 year old brother/chaperone. The "kids" just stood there not saying a word as my wife coached them on to say "trick or treat", "Happy Halloween", anything really. They just stood there and shook their bags at her. Just as she was about to say something else, the older one said "hold on" into his cell phone and smacked one of the younger ones upside the head and exclaimed, "say trick or treat, a**holes!". The kids all in unison said "trick or treat", got their candy and moved on. The older one looked at my wife and said, "sorry, I don't know what's up with kids these days." Which, of course was a pretty funny statement from a 16 year old.
Old 11-01-2011, 02:20 PM
1,851 posts, read 1,929,988 times
This thread really makes me sad.

Halloween is NOT just for kids! It is for people of ALL ages.

Trick or treating should not be something that only little kids do. Some of the arguments on here about teens being able to get a job and buy their own candy are so silly. Why not just tell the littlest "beggers" to go home and have their parents buy them candy?

Yesterday passed as an ordinary day here. We don't get trick or treaters. However, if we did I would gladly hand out candy to anyone who came to my door.

Really, teens and adults DO enjoy dressing up and going door to door. Whether they are out for the free candy, or just a night of fun, they are entitled to do so.
There is no law that says they can't. And I hope there is never a law.
Old 11-01-2011, 02:32 PM
423 posts, read 605,955 times
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
I had some teens last night...probably around age 13-15. They were in costume and polite. Didn't bother me in the least.
Exactly. I've had teens come to my door and as long as they are polite, I'm fine with it. Hell, they don't even need to be in costume, whatever. I'm more bothered by kids in the 8- to 10-year-old range who want to pick through the candy and can't even be bothered to say "thank you."

I think I was 15 the last time I went. I was in the marching band and we were at a competition. We had some time to kill before the award ceremony, so a small group of us went ToTing as band members. LOL The home owners had a good laugh and gave us candy.
Old 11-17-2011, 09:29 PM
2 posts, read 2,396 times
I am 20 years old I went trick or treating this year in full cat costume. A lot of bigger kids and or adults do it. It is funny to see your neighbor or stranger and compare costumes.
Old 11-21-2011, 12:12 AM
5,651 posts, read 6,274,766 times
Old 11-25-2011, 12:15 AM
5,686 posts, read 14,763,167 times
Last year my son whom was 14 at the time told me he didnt want to trick or treat any longer. I said that was fine and he helped me pass out candy. 30 minutes before the curfew was up, he couldnt take it. He threw on a mask and ran out the door. lol.

This year he went with a friend. Both are 15. I love halloween and see no problem with teens trick or treating as long as they behave and I haven't had an issue with anyone not behaving. I actually find the teenagers costumes to be more amusing as they put more effort into them (being witty etc).
Old 10-27-2012, 06:04 PM
1,224 posts, read 2,862,182 times
Things look like they are going to be a lot harder for kids when they grow up, so I say let them enjoy childhood while they can even the teenagers.
Old 10-27-2012, 07:29 PM
8,401 posts, read 9,157,488 times
I'm pretty much an old softy. If the spirit is in your heart you get candy. (that's hippie for your costume has to be evidence of your spirit) lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or