Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2008, 10:00 AM

26 posts, read 87,216 times

Advertisements

I need some advice. I just found out that my 14 y/o dtr snuck out of the house this past weekend to go to her boyfriends house. She is not allowed to date until she is 16 and I thought we had a very open relationship. I also thought that she knew better than this. Her dad (we are divorced & I am remarried) blew a gasket. Of course she must be punished, but how can I do this tactfully, get my point across, & not have daddy flipping out?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2008, 10:08 AM

168 posts, read 672,707 times
Let dad flip out! You should, too. She's just pushed her boundaries wide open, challenging you, and, since it is, supposedly, her first offence...at least her first KNOWN offense, dramatics and severe consequences are in order to nip this behavior in the bud right now.

Old 10-22-2008, 10:09 AM

2,856 posts, read 10,433,997 times
Does she have privileges such as a cell phone?? If so take it away, and she can EARN it back.
Make her come home right from school, no going out until she can prove she's trustworthy again.
Does she like dance classes, sports etc? If she does it again tell her you will pull her from those activities.

Old 10-22-2008, 10:10 AM

697 posts, read 2,015,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by firemen02 View Post
I need some advice. I just found out that my 14 y/o dtr snuck out of the house this past weekend to go to her boyfriends house. She is not allowed to date until she is 16 and I thought we had a very open relationship. I also thought that she knew better than this. Her dad (we are divorced & I am remarried) blew a gasket. Of course she must be punished, but how can I do this tactfully, get my point across, & not have daddy flipping out?
Wow. I have a 14 year old daughter, and all I can say is good luck. Did she leave through the door, or a window? What does she react most to? Belongings? Privileges? Some kind of restrictions need to be applied, but they have to be in her currency.

Maybe inform her that she put what is most dear to her on the line and it's up to her to remove it by earning your trust back. One thing though, carry through with what you say or she'll walk all over you now and in the future.

Old 10-22-2008, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EJRuek View Post
Let dad flip out! You should, too. She's just pushed her boundaries wide open, challenging you, and, since it is, supposedly, her first offence...at least her first KNOWN offense, dramatics and severe consequences are in order to nip this behavior in the bud right now.
Exactly !

Old 10-22-2008, 10:15 AM

20,797 posts, read 9,743,388 times
My daughter did this also I have to say the teenage years were a challenge.
I got tired of this behavior so on a nice cold March night, I locked the doors and put some pillows and blankets on the porch and shut the lights off.
Dad needs to be told as she will think she got away with something.

Good Luck..............

Old 10-22-2008, 10:16 AM

3,191 posts, read 9,183,768 times
Flip out MOM and DAD~ It you don't take a VERY strong stance in regard to this action, it will only get worse, IMO. Time to ground her, or whatever disciplinary tool suits you. Let her know you mean business. Did she actually go to his home, or did they meet up elsewhere? I would let his parents know the situation and that it is NOT acceptable.

DO you have a burglar alarm? Change the code, don't tell her it, and arm that sucker and see if it goes off in the middle of the night......had some friends who did this unbeknowst to the teen. Boy she got a surprise

Old 10-22-2008, 10:17 AM

168 posts, read 672,707 times
I'm afraid I'd be for a bit more strenuous consequences than what KH02 suggests, no offense intended, KH02. In my experience, this kind of behavior is the beginning of a long, miserable downhill slide that can often wind up with the child involved in sex, drugs, and drinking...which, of course, lead to all sorts of other unfortunate consequences. Time to use the rod, in this case, grounding for the rest of the school year with constant supervision. Me? I've got a reputation in the family. I had no qualms in the past about putting bars on the doors and windows, chaperoning the child to and from school, and keeping them in eye-shot all the time. Today it is a bit easier: have her implanted with an ID chip OR one of those strap on, lock on, "can't cut em off very easily" tracking devices. They are available, and super nice in case the youngster gets abducted by human predators. Of course the downside is that I hate the idea of those ID chips, but you can always have it removed when she's just about to turn eighteen.

Old 10-22-2008, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyworld View Post
My daughter did this also I have to say the teenage years were a challenge.
I got tired of this behavior so on a nice cold March night, I locked the doors and put some pillows and blankets on the porch and shut the lights off.
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyma View Post
DO you have a burglar alarm? Change the code, don't tell her it, and arm that sucker and see if it goes off in the middle of the night......had some friends who did this unbeknowst to the teen. Boy she got a surprise
I've been REALLY lucky with my daughter as she has never tried anything like leaving the house without me knowing where she was going, but I think I'll hold on the suggestion of locking the door and putting a blanket on the porch. Changing the code on the alarm is a good one as well.

Old 10-22-2008, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EJRuek View Post
I'm afraid I'd be for a bit more strenuous consequences than what KH02 suggests, no offense intended, KH02. In my experience, this kind of behavior is the beginning of a long, miserable downhill slide that can often wind up with the child involved in sex, drugs, and drinking...which, of course, lead to all sorts of other unfortunate consequences. Time to use the rod, in this case, grounding for the rest of the school year with constant supervision. Me? I've got a reputation in the family. I had no qualms in the past about putting bars on the doors and windows, chaperoning the child to and from school, and keeping them in eye-shot all the time. Today it is a bit easier: have her implanted with an ID chip OR one of those strap on, lock on, "can't cut em off very easily" tracking devices. They are available, and super nice in case the youngster gets abducted by human predators. Of course the downside is that I hate the idea of those ID chips, but you can always have it removed when she's just about to turn eighteen.
LOLOL, I like your way of thinking on this subject. I'll take notes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting