U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2008, 02:28 PM

650 posts, read 1,354,059 times
Default What kinds of silly inside jokes do you have with your kids?

In my family we have a lot of "private joke" kinds of games. One of the kids favorites is to catch someone else off guard by asking "Guess what?". If the victim responds with "What?", the first child yells "CHICKEN BUTT!".

Another popular one for us is when the kids pick a word that is "off limits" and anyone who says it is "stuck with it!". No one really knows what "it" is, but the kids think it is hilarious!

Anyone else out there have corny little family jokes? Some people think this behavior is really annoying, so what do you guys think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2008, 02:32 PM

1,363 posts, read 3,956,886 times
When my 2 year old asks for something that we know we are going to give her we ask her, "What's in it for me?" and she comes and gives a kiss. She's starting to ask now when we ask her to do something, and then we give her a kiss.

Old 10-22-2008, 02:37 PM

745 posts, read 1,342,920 times
In my family we have "fillowpights" when we get silly.

Old 10-22-2008, 03:19 PM

5,151 posts, read 8,398,963 times
One of our sons always threatens to call Child Services for the "abuse" he gets (i.e., we didn't bring him lunch). We always tell him to go ahead and maybe they'll take him to a better home, after they stop laughing. He's over 18.

Old 10-22-2008, 03:39 PM

168 posts, read 374,227 times
I don't know if I dare even share some of ours. "Black list" is a warning. "Raid" is a joke that means it's room inspection time. "Pine float" is for when someone doesn't want to eat something. "Twinge" is for "I'm uncomfortable here, can we leave on the excuse that I'm sick."

Those are a couple.

Old 10-22-2008, 03:43 PM

698 posts, read 1,244,035 times
I always thought a pine float was a toothpick in a glass of water.

You inspect your kids' rooms? I've got to get mine to clean hers first. What's the trick?

Old 10-22-2008, 03:50 PM

One of ours is, when something goes wrong we say,'I told you to stay on the pavement'. That was a quote from a REALLY bad movie from years ago.

"That's not fair", response, "That's as fair as it gets.".

We have lots.

Old 10-22-2008, 04:45 PM

168 posts, read 374,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 925mine View Post
I always thought a pine float was a toothpick in a glass of water.

You inspect your kids' rooms? I've got to get mine to clean hers first. What's the trick?
Yep. That's the ticket. Whoever turns their noses up gets served a glass of water with a toothpick floated artfully on top. It's gotten to be a joke.

It's a matter of starting them really young and making it a game. Teens get out of hand, but a bit of incentive plus a helping hand and an outing for ice cream or maybe some new shirt they want afterwards always brings out the best. I love positive reinforcement done sneaky.

Old 10-22-2008, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EJRuek View Post
Yep. That's the ticket. Whoever turns their noses up gets served a glass of water with a toothpick floated artfully on top. It's gotten to be a joke.

It's a matter of starting them really young and making it a game. Teens get out of hand, but a bit of incentive plus a helping hand and an outing for ice cream or maybe some new shirt they want afterwards always brings out the best. I love positive reinforcement done sneaky.
There's a fine line between an incentive and a bribe. But I'll try either one.

Old 10-23-2008, 12:16 AM

1,036 posts, read 1,674,398 times
My girls when they were little...if they wanted Chocolate Milk had to do The Chocolate Milk Dance.
Singing along....
It was hilarious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting