Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2008, 03:53 PM

1,634 posts, read 6,717,152 times

Advertisements

Plastic chemicals, PBA? parents are freaking out. What's going on? Should we all just stop using plastic? Go with stainless and glass. I'm not sure what to do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2008, 03:58 PM

4,253 posts, read 9,449,963 times
I think the olden ways (glass, wood, steel) are the best. Not much tupperware in this family

They have glass feeding bottles in stores already.

Old 10-24-2008, 04:14 PM

650 posts, read 2,178,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA central coast View Post
Plastic chemicals, PBA? parents are freaking out. What's going on? Should we all just stop using plastic? Go with stainless and glass. I'm not sure what to do.
We have been trying to phase out plastic in our family. Unfortunately, it isn't easy to do. Plastic sippy cups are way more kid-friendly and reasonably priced than glass or stainless steel. I want to buy all of my kids Klean Kanteens for Christmas, but they are like $20-30 a piece. OUCH!

Old 10-24-2008, 04:26 PM

4,267 posts, read 6,181,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2girlsand2boys View Post
We have been trying to phase out plastic in our family. Unfortunately, it isn't easy to do. Plastic sippy cups are way more kid-friendly and reasonably priced than glass or stainless steel. I want to buy all of my kids Klean Kanteens for Christmas, but they are like $20-30 a piece. OUCH!
Yeah, they are expensive. I bought my daughter a Sigg water bottle which was pricey but worth it to me since she uses it daily. Great idea to get them as presents, that way the cost doesn't hurt as much. I've bought a few people's Sigg's for gifts.

Old 10-24-2008, 09:40 PM

2,588 posts, read 5,430,890 times
I'm worried, too. This summer, I dumped all of the plastic sippy cups out and replaced them with one Foogo and two Kleen Kanteens. Expensive and they leak. So, I forced the oldest, who just turned 3 a few months ago, off of sippy cups completely. And, I'm now primarily allowing my 18-month-old to drink from cups. I have these hard, plastic cups and I think it's the hard plastics that are okay. I hope. But, our favorite plates are plastic, too, and I don't know if they're okay. What is that ceramic thing that doesn't break? Corningware? Maybe I should look into that.

Old 10-25-2008, 07:55 AM

3,842 posts, read 10,509,367 times
I've been hearing about through the usual sources.

It is definitely something that needs some attention & research.

I'm a little turned off at the sky high prices on the bottles & sippee cups. I think it's manf just taking advantage of parents at the onset since it's fairly new info & research.

We just don't have the income & I need to do more of my own personal research. But, in that time, if I find info that does truly convince me, I will figure out the way to avoid the sippees.

Old 10-25-2008, 09:39 AM

4,267 posts, read 6,181,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtee View Post
So, I forced the oldest, who just turned 3 a few months ago, off of sippy cups completely. And, I'm now primarily allowing my 18-month-old to drink from cups.
This is what I do as well. She drinks from cups at home and uses her Sigg only when we are out, that way I can get away with just one overpriced sippy. The best toddler friendly unbreakable glass cups I have found are actually shot glasses. The glass is thick and they are the perfect size for tiny hands to hold. It looks ridiculous to see a 2 year old sipping water from a shot glass but hey, it works.

If you are still using plastic, just use hard plastic and don't wash it in your dishwasher or heat in the microwave. That will help to keep the plastic from leaching into the food and drink.

Old 10-25-2008, 10:45 AM

2,588 posts, read 5,430,890 times
The shot glass idea is hysterical! I hope you have some pictures. I think I'll give it a whirl, too. I have some shot glasses that I have never used. Anyway, thanks for the reminder about the dishwasher and microwave.

Old 10-25-2008, 12:06 PM

8,411 posts, read 39,253,321 times
If you cant afford to switch it out at least give your kid organic food and dark green (yeh i know if they actually like that) foods to help clear the system. But they already banned these in europe. I know in myself since I quit using plastic my joints feel better. Thats enough reason for me. I would never use it for kids. (non PBA free)

Heat and more acid foods make the PBA release more so at least stay away from that.

Old 10-25-2008, 12:10 PM

306 posts, read 1,161,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitt_transplant View Post
If you cant afford to switch it out at least give your kid organic food and dark green (yeh i know if they actually like that) foods to help clear the system. But they already banned these in europe. I know in myself since I quit using plastic my joints feel better. Thats enough reason for me. I would never use it for kids. (non PBA free)

Heat and more acid foods make the PBA release more so at least stay away from that.
I live in Europe and I have not seen it banned. At least not in the UK. I cant find anything that isnt plastic. I also have only heard about this through American sources. I wish they banned it here. It would make it easier.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting