Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2008, 11:33 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,873,839 times

Advertisements

My now 13 yo (going on 14 in 2 months) walked on her toes but with them BENT UNDER! OUCH! to me. I put her in dance at the age of 2 (it was the only thing in the area for girls to be involved in). She walked normal in shoes but as a toddler she was on her toes. She started playing soccer at 4 and still in dance until she was 11. She is now a cheeerleader, going into marching band and a pole vaulter on the school track team. She loves gymnastics and dance (ballet) but doesn't have time to do those. She had no signs of autism and still does not nor is she autistic or any other kind of problems - she is actually very academically gifted and physically fit.

The only reason I'd be worried that your son might have some kind of problem would be with his foot and that is because he can't walk in shoes. Otherwise kids walk funny as it is just their way of learning to walk and balance. My sisters 20 month old daughter walks on her toes as well but walks fine in shoes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2008, 12:50 PM

952 posts, read 3,706,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BABsMom View Post
My daughter has been walking for a little over 6 months. She walks on the balls of her feet, I think, it's almost impossible to imitate her because she walks so funny! The doc said she'd grow out of it, buy her flat shoes and try that. Well, she won't walk in her shoes, she just falls over, gives up and crawls. She formed her sandals this summer to walk on her toes. I don't understand it and the doctor isn't much help. My other two didn't do this, is there any other reason why she could be walking this way?? PLEASE HELP!

My husband did this. He is flat foot. But he did stop eventually. he still kind of like to walk on his toes, (or at least trying too ) sometimes. But don't worry. it will be ok. maybe you can take him to another doctor but i think she will be ok.

Old 10-29-2008, 02:17 PM

50 posts, read 131,421 times
I use to walk on my tip toes all the time when i was little. I remeber it felt comfortable and i think i did it for about 3 years. I dont think it would be that big of a deal but i would still try to get her to walk normal. I didn't notice anything wrong when i did it.

Old 10-29-2008, 08:33 PM

3,872 posts, read 8,710,771 times
Quote:
My daughter has been walking for a little over 6 months. She walks on the balls of her feet, I think, it's almost impossible to imitate her because she walks so funny! The doc said she'd grow out of it, buy her flat shoes and try that. Well, she won't walk in her shoes, she just falls over, gives up and crawls. She formed her sandals this summer to walk on her toes. I don't understand it and the doctor isn't much help. My other two didn't do this, is there any other reason why she could be walking this way?? PLEASE HELP!
I haven't read the other responses, so forgive me if mine is a repeat. My youngest STILL does this at home and she's 5! I think it's not a big deal, she just likes to do it, lol.

Old 10-30-2008, 09:36 PM

5,501 posts, read 22,448,141 times
Quote:
Because she may have shortened tendons in her feet.

Old 11-01-2008, 04:48 PM

650 posts, read 2,179,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
My now 13 yo (going on 14 in 2 months) walked on her toes but with them BENT UNDER! OUCH! to me.
LOL! I thought I was the only person in the world that did that! I could even jump rope like that!

I wouldn't encourage it with your daughter though, I have some problems with my feet now and I wonder if it is from walking like that as a kid.

Old 11-04-2008, 06:10 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,303,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboburnsy View Post
That's just mean. Don't you know that mom's worry deep?

Lot's of toddlers do this. I was not aware that it could be autism or CP linked, but I doubt very much that you need to go to any extreme lengths to correct it. My sister did this as a child. No one knew that they should be concerned about it. End result? My sister was a collegiate athlete.

Be careful with your worrying. A worried mom is susceptible to big mistakes like consenting to a surgical procedure to lengthen her baby's achilles tendons. Keep a careful watch over your children, as all mothers do, but make sure you aren't letting the internets (like a series of tubes) get in the way of your brain (the most important parenting tool).
I know of a few children that do have autism or CP that walk on their toes. One of DS16's best friend has mild CP and if you talked with him you would never know. He walks on his toes and has for years. He is now 17 and has been undergoing botox shots and various braces to stretch is muscles, tendons and ligaments because his toe walking that everyone told them he would "outgrow" has caused some serious issues has he has started to grow to adult size. I would take her in and have it evaluated by an orthopedic dr. It could be a short achillies tendon or it could be something else but the longer it goes on, the harder the habit will be to break.

Old 01-02-2013, 06:23 PM

3,256 posts, read 8,901,196 times
I am considering the tendon lengthening for my son. Reading this makes me think we should definitely not wait. I was just worried about recovery time.

Old 01-03-2013, 12:16 AM

2,873 posts, read 5,851,244 times
I'm one who never grew out of this. I don't do it quite as often as I used to, but I still find myself walking 'up'...often without realizing it unless someone else brings it to my attention. I don't think it has caused me any physical harm though. I don't have any feet or leg problems.

(Oddly, I can't walk in high heels!)

Toe walking can be the result of a sensory processing disorder, which I think is the case for me. With sensory processing disorders, walking 'up' effects the child (or adult's) vestibular and gravity sense. So here's another thing to consider if it doesn't go away or everything else is ruled out.

I was also born with essential tremor, which is a mild idiopathic tremor most visible in my hands. I think this low-level constant tremor may have contributed to my sensory issues, including my 'off' vestibular processing.

Old 01-03-2013, 09:01 AM

13,511 posts, read 19,279,635 times
Quote:
...I am a tippy toe walker myself...still tiptoe alot of the time, without even thinking about it...I'm delighted to see a grandchild who also tiptoes around. I know there is nothing wrong with it, and I have absolutely no problems from it, I am very healthy and will continue to tiptoe my way through life...I was also the only one in my family that did this, and probably the most athletic..Just noticed the thread is kinda old, but then the resurrection of some can be good.

Last edited by purehuman; 01-03-2013 at 09:15 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting