U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2008, 08:19 PM

2,583 posts, read 7,037,895 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrstewart View Post
Maybe there should be some "fine tuning" but I have to think if the parents are driving that far(the cases from out of state) and dropping off their own children then the children would probably be better off out of that environment. Hopefully this law is saving children from being murdered or abandoned in the night by their parents.
If all of you outside of Nebraska think it is such a wonderful idea to help those kids in the horrible situations then are you working to change your state's safe haven law to match Nebraska's? All other 49 states limit it to infant - so why not move to change your's so those kids can at least stay in their home state?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2008, 08:23 PM

13,779 posts, read 16,911,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave1215 View Post
If all of you outside of Nebraska think it is such a wonderful idea to help those kids in the horrible situations then are you working to change your state's safe haven law to match Nebraska's? All other 49 states limit it to infant - so why not move to change your's so those kids can at least stay in their home state?
Did I say the laws should be limited only to Nebraska? No, I did not. Actually, I would not mind revisions being made to all states if it would prove to be beneficial to the child...

Next time, get crappy with the right poster and do us all a favor, read the ENTIRE post before you start babbling.

Old 10-29-2008, 08:33 AM

8,862 posts, read 8,806,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrstewart View Post
Maybe there should be some "fine tuning" but I have to think if the parents are driving that far(the cases from out of state) and dropping off their own children then the children would probably be better off out of that environment. Hopefully this law is saving children from being murdered or abandoned in the night by their parents.
In the GA case I definitely agree.

It seems when the child began to have problems at school the family was offered counseling but the mother said he was enrolled in another counseling program. Last night she said she had talked to her son and he sounded upbeat and didn't want to return to GA. Who knows?
I believe the boy is 12---I thought he was older. Hopefully there is a family that can offer him some guidance and this doesn't have to define his life.

She seems to have been quite vocal about lack of support from social services.

Old 10-29-2008, 08:44 AM

620 posts, read 1,329,851 times
I think ANY law that PROTECTS a child is a good law. Hopefully, all states will have some sort of law such as this. For some of you that think that it should only cover infants, I disagree with you. Its not just INFANTS that get abused, murdered by someone living in the house. I would think that the people that have used the Nebraska law recently just felt there was no other alternative. Thank goodness the parents had sense enough to drop them off than just killing them!

Old 10-29-2008, 07:33 PM

29 posts, read 260,382 times
We have the safe haven here however you can leave the babies at hospitals, police stations and firestations. I think its really good cause the alternative is leaving it in the dumpster/

Old 10-29-2008, 08:02 PM

2,790 posts, read 4,058,127 times
It is my understanding that the state of Nebraska only intended it to cover infants, but due to the way the legislation was worded, there is a loophole. Yes, I agree there needs to be a safe haven for children beyond infancy, obviously the states are not meeting the needs of families within the majority of the 50 states. The thing that is find particularly disturbing is that in several cases where there are multiple children in the family, only the child who is in trouble, who needs the most parenting, is being left. Evidently, since these people think it is okay to drop off the unruly child as you would a puppy at the humane society, we need to do a better job of teaching parents to be parents. Being a parent is not all fun and games. Most of the time it is a hard and thankless job. Too many people think parenting about making them feel complete, boosting their ego, living vicariously through their children, the status of producing over-achievers, etc. My feeling is if they can't handle the difficult one, maybe they shouldn't be parenting any of them!

I would not be opposed to a safe haven law for teenagers, too many of my son's friends are already out on the streets. I definitely think that part of the program should include surrendering all the children and entering into court appointed counseling for the family and mandatory parenting classes for the parents. Of course, this would mean the state would have to get off it's behind, acknowledge that our children are worth the effort, and instead of paying lipservice to education and family services, mental health, etc., put their money where their mouth is.

Old 10-30-2008, 08:43 AM

3,860 posts, read 3,606,873 times
I support it. I live in a town where child abuse is horrible and you always see stories about it on the news. Maybe if these crappy parents had other options maybe these children could have lived.

Old 10-30-2008, 10:45 AM

2,266 posts, read 3,878,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MICoastieMom View Post
It is my understanding that the state of Nebraska only intended it to cover infants, but due to the way the legislation was worded, there is a loophole. ....
Well, perhaps it is good that there is a loophole, so we start talking about this issue. It seems like there should be an age limit, with an additional program for teenagers. It seems like the big sticking point for people is if teenagers should be included in it or not, so separating the two ages will help guarantee that the younger kids will continue to have this option while the question of unwanted teenagers is worked out. If it was up to me, I would also change to the law to apply to Nebraska kids only. It is the Nebraskan people that will have to pay for these kids, so it should be for them only. If people really like this law and want to have the same options, then they should work to pass a similar law with similar age limits in their state.

Old 10-30-2008, 11:33 AM

13,779 posts, read 16,911,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyme4878 View Post
Well, perhaps it is good that there is a loophole, so we start talking about this issue. It seems like there should be an age limit, with an additional program for teenagers. It seems like the big sticking point for people is if teenagers should be included in it or not, so separating the two ages will help guarantee that the younger kids will continue to have this option while the question of unwanted teenagers is worked out. If it was up to me, I would also change to the law to apply to Nebraska kids only. It is the Nebraskan people that will have to pay for these kids, so it should be for them only. If people really like this law and want to have the same options, then they should work to pass a similar law with similar age limits in their state.
I am certain my parents probably wished there had been a place to drop me off as a teen But seriously, maybe a program should be put in place for a safe drop off for teens...

Old 10-30-2008, 11:53 AM

8,862 posts, read 8,806,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyme4878 View Post
If it was up to me, I would also change to the law to apply to Nebraska kids only. It is the Nebraskan people that will have to pay for these kids, so it should be for them only. If people really like this law and want to have the same options, then they should work to pass a similar law with similar age limits in their state.
I haven't seen a follow-up to the story about the GA boy yet. A custody hearing was scheduled for yesterday but the state of Nebraska was clear that he would not become its responsibility, or so it seemed to me.

I think the GA law only applies to babies no more than 3 days old.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting