U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 12-23-2008, 07:59 AM

531 posts, read 315,613 times
wait...before I go any further...I didn't say I agreed with these laws.And I beleive everywoman has the right to chose about breast feeding ...but we are talking about older children out in public offices...not in a restroom or private area...we are talking about older children in an office or a bus...I just don't want the woman to get "busted"(no pun intended) due to her personal beliefs...But I witnessed a woman being arrested in a public office as her child was 5 years old when she bared herself open in public and they called the abuse hotline on her....I spoke out so women would check their area...and this wouldn't happen to them....It is not My choice...But some people beleive this situation(older children breast feeding ) is an abnormal act

Last edited by Peach_Fla; 12-23-2008 at 08:01 AM.. Reason: misspelling

Old 12-23-2008, 08:08 AM

2,456 posts, read 3,793,730 times
I am very well-versed in laws regarding breastfeeding and breastfeeding in public and am aware of no laws restricting the age of the child. I am aware that in certain states it is not protected to breastfeed a child over a certain age in public, but that does not make it illegal either. Even in states with no protections for nursing, that does not mean it is illegal to nurse. If you are going to insist such a law restricting the age of breastfeeding exists, you will need to CITE it.

For what it's worth, I know dozens of women locally, and dozens more across the country through the internet, who nurse children older than 2 years old. It is not that rare of an occurrence, and I have not heard of anyone being harassed by family services about it. I have heard it brought up in a court context is during a divorce proceeding/ custody dispute where the father disapproved, but that is a quite different situation from what you describe.

Old 12-23-2008, 08:13 AM

Default there "are" laws

Quote:
Originally Posted by yodi View Post
There are no such laws. It is NOT abuse!!!!! Please see the following statements from the WHO, AAP, AAFP and the Surgeon General on breastfeeding.

kellymom.com :: Extended Breastfeeding Fact Sheet
These are based on infants and toddlers .....and state that they need to be "weaned" gradually so as not to cause any effect.....but this is not about women who wean their breastfeeding children.....this is about 5 yr olds and older......do you truly believe this is "normal"??????????

Old 12-23-2008, 09:25 AM

4,267 posts, read 2,854,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peach_Fla View Post
These are based on infants and toddlers .....and state that they need to be "weaned" gradually so as not to cause any effect.....but this is not about women who wean their breastfeeding children.....this is about 5 yr olds and older......do you truly believe this is "normal"??????????
Please post a link showing the laws. I have never heard of this. I think that you are misinformed.

Old 12-23-2008, 09:34 AM

Default [B]There are no laws that put an age limit on breastfeeding.[/B]

Here is a link which summarizes breastfeeding laws in all 50 states. It took me all of 2 seconds to find this information in a google search.
50 States Summary of Breastfeeding Laws

Peach_FL, I'm assuming that you are in Florida so I'm quoting the laws for your state below:

Quote:
Fla. Stat. 383.015 (1993) allows a mother to breastfeed in any public or private location. (HB 231)

Fla. Stat. 383.016 (1994) authorizes a facility lawfully providing maternity services or newborn infant care to use the designation "baby-friendly" on its promotional materials. The facility must be in compliance with at least eighty percent of the requirements developed by the Department of Health in accordance with UNICEF and World Health Organization baby-friendly hospital initiatives. (SB 1668)

Fla. Stat. 800.02 et seq. and 827.071 exclude breastfeeding from various sexual offenses, such as lewdness, indecent exposure and sexual conduct.

2008 Fla. Laws, Chap. 172 excludes a mother breastfeeding her baby from the offense of lewd or lascivious exhibition using a computer. (SB 1442)

Old 12-23-2008, 09:37 AM

12,975 posts, read 1,921,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miasmommy View Post
This thread makes me ill. I never thought I would hear that so many people had a problem with breastfeeding.

In MY state, breastfeeding is very much accepted (by law and by the people) and the next time I am out in public I am going to whip out my disgusting saggy breast and allow my child to grab it with her two 9 month aged hands (which she eats solid foods with and holds a sippy cup with) and let her guide it to her mouth, put the areola in and suck until my wonderful, god given milk comes rushing out and into her beautiful body

I wonder if this post will be edited, lol
Doubt it..you said nothing wrong.
Go for it! Those nine month old baby hands should be grabbing at your breasts and being nousished whereever you choose. But those same hands, once they are old enough to meet her own needs, should be using a fork, spoon, and cup to receive her food intake. Once a child gets to school age, it looks more "incestuous" to me! I know this comment will get some attention! However, what woman wants a child sucking on their breast? One that has some issues with raising her child to become independent. Breasts are for infants and toddlers, not older children.

Old 12-23-2008, 10:12 AM

822 posts, read 1,753,366 times
I just saw this thread and came across one of the posts in the middle about the mom maybe subconsciously encouraging extended breastfeeding. My daughter was absolutely obsessed with breastfeeding. I was getting soooo exhausted I just didn't know how it would ever end. It was just her "thing" in the world. I sometimes wondered what it would be like to end something that had been going on for so long, but I was pretty depleted. I'll just say she finally stopped in kindergarten because the milk dried up. Before she was born I planned to breast feed, but if it didn't work, formula was fine too. I became more committed once she was born, but I was never fanatical - it was just what she apparently needed.

Old 12-23-2008, 11:26 AM

3,254 posts, read 3,387,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yodi View Post
Here is a link which summarizes breastfeeding laws in all 50 states. It took me all of 2 seconds to find this information in a google search.
50 States Summary of Breastfeeding Laws

Peach_FL, I'm assuming that you are in Florida so I'm quoting the laws for your state below:
Just curious. What age is a baby not a baby. My 3 yr old states she is not a baby. I think of her like my baby as i do with my 5 yr old.

Legally though, what age does it become no longer valid to breastfeed. If you breastfeed your 12 yr old is that still considered ok by law?

Again just curious about the real details of the law.

Old 12-23-2008, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taboo2 View Post
Just curious. What age is a baby not a baby. My 3 yr old states she is not a baby. I think of her like my baby as i do with my 5 yr old.

Legally though, what age does it become no longer valid to breastfeed. If you breastfeed your 12 yr old is that still considered ok by law?

Again just curious about the real details of the law.
Legally, there is no age where it is no longer valid to breastfeed. If you breastfeed your 12 year old it is still ok by law because there are no laws putting an age limit on breastfeeding.

Old 12-23-2008, 12:03 PM

that law says babies....not 5 year olds!!!!......what about:

The World Health Organization recommends that: Infants should be breast fed for at least two years with weaning foods added at six months. A weaning diet should consist of:
  • a staple (a complex carbohydrate) such as cereals, roots, or tubers,
  • an energy rich supplement (fats, oils and sugars),
  • protein rich supplements (legumes, animal products, meat, eggs), and
  • vitamin and mineral rich foods (fruits and vegetables) ( WHO, 2001 ).
  • these complementary foods should be low cost and prepared locally. WHO, 2003-3
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting