Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2008, 10:43 AM

2,825 posts, read 6,925,589 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by treeg26 View Post
NO WAY would I even consider an 6, 7, 8 year old!! They don't NEED the breastmilk any longer! I'm not talking about in countries where there isn't enough nutritional foods. If your child has a well-balanced diet, there is no reason for it to go on that long.
Well, to take it literally, I guess no child really "NEEDS" breastmilk at all. After all, plenty survive on formula from day one right? And yet, most of us (hopefully) try to give our children more than just the bare minimum that they "NEED" to survive. It may not be the typical way of doing it, but these moms are trying to give their child what they think is BEST, not just what they minimally NEED.

Old 10-31-2008, 11:13 AM

2,482 posts, read 8,732,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by findinghope View Post
sorry, i dont mean to sound ignorant, but this video was just gross. i could not watch it past the seconds after she started nursing.
i think anything past 2 years is too much. why do doctors tell parents that once the child is a year old, they need to start drinking from a cup and no bottle, but it's ok to breastfeed this long?!
No, you are not sounding ignorant. I have to admit my initial thought was "omfg that is disgusting" too. Don't get me wrong, I'd breastfeed my kid long before I'd even consider formula but 8 years old is just...just... I mean that's like an 8 year old in diapers just because he doesn't WANT to be potty trained.

Old 10-31-2008, 12:27 PM

2,743 posts, read 14,295,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by findinghope View Post
sorry, i dont mean to sound ignorant, but this video was just gross. i could not watch it past the seconds after she started nursing.
i think anything past 2 years is too much. why do doctors tell parents that once the child is a year old, they need to start drinking from a cup and no bottle, but it's ok to breastfeed this long?!
Because there is a legitimate concern regarding dental problems in children who stay on the bottle past a certain age, and this is not usually an issue with a breastfed child. "Baby bottle mouth" is a problem post one year, particularly when bedtime or naptime bottles are given. This is why docs want babies weaned off the bottle starting around age one.

Also, formula is expensive, doctors will let parents know when it is okay to stop feeding it because most parents aren't going to want to pay for it when it's not necessary (i.e. after 1 year of age), but there's no issue with a child having formula past age one if it's given via a cup.

Old 10-31-2008, 01:40 PM

1,022 posts, read 3,370,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADVentive View Post
Well, to take it literally, I guess no child really "NEEDS" breastmilk at all. After all, plenty survive on formula from day one right? And yet, most of us (hopefully) try to give our children more than just the bare minimum that they "NEED" to survive. It may not be the typical way of doing it, but these moms are trying to give their child what they think is BEST, not just what they minimally NEED.
I feel babies do NEED breastmilk. So do most doctors. Babies being the key word here. I have a 9 year old. NO WAY could I EVER see myself breastfeeding her up until 2 years ago! I breastfed all my kids.

Old 10-31-2008, 02:03 PM

650 posts, read 2,179,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuSuSushi View Post
At what point does it move from breastfeeding to improper sexual contact with a minor?
I have a hard time believing that anyone is actually nursing an 18-year old, but if they are doing it as an adult, then they aren't exactly a minor anyway.

In my state, breasts are not considered to be a sexual organ. Hubby is a cop, and if he gets calls about women sunbathing topless or flashing cars, there is nothing he can do about it. Breasts are not genitals and that is what the law defines as sexual organs, so it would NEVER be considered inappropriate sexual contact with a minor.

I think you are thinking of breasts as only having a sexual function instead of what they are actually designed for. Nursing your child, for however long you and your child feel comfortable, is better for the child, and is no one else's business anyway. People that use formula don't want to hear that they are poisoning their kids, and people that practice CLW don't want to hear that it is gross!

Old 10-31-2008, 02:09 PM

5,501 posts, read 22,448,141 times
Perfect example of what can happen when you breastfeed a child for too long!

YouTube - Bitty

Old 10-31-2008, 02:13 PM

3,032 posts, read 8,920,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2girlsand2boys View Post

I think you are thinking of breasts as only having a sexual function instead of what they are actually designed for.
No, I'm not. I'm all for breastfeeding, but I think people that continue to do it long into childhood are simply wacko. The point at which a child is normally capable of receiving all their appropriate nutrients from eating solid food (and I don't mean pureed food) is the point where they no longer need to breastfeed.

Old 10-31-2008, 02:25 PM

650 posts, read 2,179,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuSuSushi View Post
No, I'm not. I'm all for breastfeeding, but I think people that continue to do it long into childhood are simply wacko. The point at which a child is normally capable of receiving all their appropriate nutrients from eating solid food (and I don't mean pureed food) is the point where they no longer need to breastfeed.
I thought like you before I had my son. I never imagined nursing a child that was over 3, but suddenly I found myself doing just that. I never thought I'd nurse through a pregnancy, when I no longer even had any milk, but I did that too. I think a big thing to point out is that nursing is MUCH more than just providing nourishment.

Old 10-31-2008, 02:30 PM

I once dated a man who was still breastfeeding. That was challenging.

Old 10-31-2008, 06:40 PM

Did anyone bother to watch this video?

It shows a VERY old child breastfeeding and CLEARLY demonstrates the problems it can lead to in later life. Anyone who thinks it's OKAY to breastfeed an older child needs to watch this video!

YouTube - Bitty
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting