Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-06-2011, 06:48 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,347,105 times

Advertisements

My son is 28, do you think I should stop breastfeeding him? LOL!

Old 03-06-2011, 08:07 AM

1,016 posts, read 4,541,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
Well, the OP was posted 10/30/2008. So I guess it'll die when people stop bumping 3-year-old threads to ask when it'll die.
So do you suppose the woman in the video is still breastfeeding? Her daughter has to be close to 11 by now.

Old 03-06-2011, 08:58 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,704,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crisan View Post
My daughter and other babies I know never went through that nursing strike phase. I do have friends who made their cut-off point at one year. Some had no problems weaning their child at that age and, therefore, believe that nursing past 1 year is more for the mother. Others admitted to me, even as late as 8 months later, that they felt like perhaps 1 year was too early. This last group is having problems with congestion, something that started after introducing cow's milk. Their children were also the most difficult to wean and would even ask for it 8 months later. Most of the time, these mothers did it because they didn't want to be perceived as weird.

For my daughter, her nursing days are numbered. She will be two soon. As long as I keep her busy, allow her to do and learn things on her own, she has no interest in nursing. The only time she wants to nurse is when she has nothing to do or for bedtimes.

I do agree about the nutrition. It is only recently that my daughter eats almost anything I put in front of her. Before, if I even tried to hide pureed carrots in a meal, she would detect it and spit it out.
The bold is an old wive's tale (that milk causes congestion, increased mucus, etc).

Old 03-06-2011, 09:15 AM

13,418 posts, read 9,941,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
The bold is an old wive's tale (that milk causes congestion, increased mucus, etc).
Ahhh, I did not know that. I'd always heard that you shouldn't drink milk when you had a cold, because it increases mucus production. Is that not the case, Kat?

I love seeing old wives tales debunked.

Old 03-06-2011, 09:20 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,704,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
Ahhh, I did not know that. I'd always heard that you shouldn't drink milk when you had a cold, because it increases mucus production. Is that not the case, Kat?

If milk increases mucus production, I've never seen anything scientific to show it. Clear fluids will help thin out the mucus, in fact, any fluids will do that, which is why they're recommended. But if your kid wants to drink milk with a cold, let him/her. When kids have diarrhea/vominting viruses, the virus will often cause a temporary lactose intolerance, in which case the milk makes the diarrhea worse.

Old 03-06-2011, 09:36 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,766,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbd78 View Post
So do you suppose the woman in the video is still breastfeeding? Her daughter has to be close to 11 by now.
When the mother is 90, and the daughter is 70, "little babygirl" will have mamma's withered wrinkled white eggplant firmly latched - taking her dentures out of course - and it'll be just like old times!

Old 03-06-2011, 09:44 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,766,126 times
Also the thing about milk/mucus: it thickens phlegm. So if you're already congested, thicker phlegm can be irritating/frustrating. It won't cause congestion. I definitely was one of the people who believed that dairy promoted mucus production, so thanks to Katiana for giving me reason to look it up for myself and finding out that isn't true.

And, yes X 20 about dairy making diarrhea worse. Usually with me, I'm fine with a splash in my coffee, and my pint of Ben & Jerry's coffee toffee crunch spread out over a 3-day period, once every 3 months. But when it's time for my cheese cravings, ugh. I get them, and 12 hours later, fuggedaboudit. You won't see me outside the bathroom except to grab another roll of TP from the closet.

Old 03-06-2011, 09:47 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,558,278 times
Quote:
If milk increases mucus production, I've never seen anything scientific to show it. Clear fluids will help thin out the mucus, in fact, any fluids will do that, which is why they're recommended. But if your kid wants to drink milk with a cold, let him/her. When kids have diarrhea/vominting viruses, the virus will often cause a temporary lactose intolerance, in which case the milk makes the diarrhea worse.
This was the key study bebunking the myth that milk has any effect on mucus.

Milk Consumption Does Not Lead to Mucus Production or Occurrence of Asthma -- Wüthrich et al. 24 (Supplement 6): 547S -- Journal of the American College of Nutrition

Old 03-06-2011, 11:09 AM

13,418 posts, read 9,941,794 times
Quote:
Very interesting. We found out about the lactose intolerance the hard way, after dd caught a non-specific stomach virus that had her in the hospital for 3 days when she was 15 months. She continued to throw up on and off for a few months afterward - and her pediatrician suggested we change her from milk to soy milk. Stopped that issue straight away. We had no idea. Very valuable info, thanks.

Old 03-06-2011, 11:55 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,013,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post

Milk doesn't increase mucus production. It's just not the best liquid at thinning mucus.

That doesn't mean that milk thickens mucus, it just means other liquids are better at thinning mucus.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting