U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 05-16-2012, 03:30 PM

4,267 posts, read 2,760,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic 2.0 View Post
Oh my.

The breast is already sexualized, and that doesn't show any signs of changing. You have your theories as to why this is and I have mine. But regardless of why, it is both a means of nourishment and a means of sexual arousal and pleasure. By all means, refuse to factor that into your decisions if you want. No one is forcing you. But don't imply that I'm somehow wrong for looking at or adapting to the entirety of the real world as it is today.

I've been ignoring the suspicion that you're being driven by some personal ideal for this country which includes not sexualizing a woman's breast at all. Good luck with that. I won't get into a debate over whether this would be better or worse. I will just reiterate: Our job as parents is to prepare our children for the world outside (Please do not take "the world" literally). Fortunately/unfortunately, that world is quite fond of sexualizing the breast. Do with that what you will. If there's nothing new to discuss...
The only logical response I can have to this bizarre post is:

Old 05-16-2012, 03:42 PM

5,916 posts, read 1,971,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorthy View Post
The only logical response I can have to this bizarre post is:
Well kudos to you for being rational and clear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Actually, I was just going to ask you if you were going to prepare your child for the world outside of the United States.

Because every opinion you've expressed on this subject is very American oriented and there IS a whole other world out there with many peoples, cultures and customs. There are some places on this earth where I fear your eyeballs would pop right out of your head if you think the breast is there for (mostly) sexual reasons.
I'm preparing my child for life in the U.S. because that's likely where we'll be. But really, if we moved to any country in which the female breast was also a means of sexual arousal and pleasure, I'd probably see this subject the same way.

And I don't think the breast is there for (mostly) sexual reasons; I don't know where you got that.

Old 05-16-2012, 04:53 PM

1,730 posts, read 2,584,195 times
I have not read the article yet but heard somewhere that the mom also breastfeeds her 6 year old stepson. Is this true? If so, are there benefits to doing that?

Old 05-16-2012, 05:27 PM

870 posts, read 604,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathleen1971 View Post
I have not read the article yet but heard somewhere that the mom also breastfeeds her 6 year old stepson. Is this true? If so, are there benefits to doing that?
While I cant speak on the accuracy of that, the benefit of nursing a 6 year old would be the same as any instance of extended nursing, as has been outlined in the thread already. And as far as the stepson part, I imagine that would squick a lot of people out, but please know that there are plenty of women who 1) donate/sell breastmilk and 2) are wetnurses.

Old 05-16-2012, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathleen1971 View Post
She nursed her adopted son who was breastfed by his biological mom. I believe that he was 3 at the time of his adoption. She said that he nursed maybe once a month. She felt like it helped them to bond and helped ease his transition.

Old 05-16-2012, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Oh my.

The breast is already sexualized, and that doesn't show any signs of changing. You have your theories as to why this is and I have mine. But regardless of why, it is both a means of nourishment and a means of sexual arousal and pleasure. By all means, refuse to factor that into your decisions if you want. No one is forcing you. But don't imply that I'm somehow wrong for looking at or adapting to the entirety of the real world as it is today.
I'm not refusing to do anything. That is your opinion and one that I do not share. You are assuming that because I don't think like you or behave like you or parent like you that I'm somehow not preparing my children for the "real world". It's absurd.

Quote:
I've been ignoring the suspicion that you're being driven by some personal ideal for this country which includes not sexualizing a woman's breast at all. Good luck with that. I won't get into a debate over whether this would be better or worse.
Why would I debate with you over something that you think that I am supposedly thinking? Ridiculous.
Quote:
I will just reiterate: Our job as parents is to prepare our children for the world outside (Please do not take "the world" literally). Fortunately/unfortunately, that world is quite fond of sexualizing the breast. Do with that what you will. If there's nothing new to discuss...
You seem to think your way is the only way and that people who do things differently or think differently are not preparing their children for the world. It's quite presumptuous to say the least.

Old 05-16-2012, 05:52 PM

Quote:
I'm not refusing to do anything. That is your opinion and one that I do not share. You are assuming that because I don't think like you or behave like you or parent like you that I'm somehow not preparing my children for the "real world". It's absurd.
Actually, you're the one who keeps suggesting "Maybe they'll see the breast differently than most people". And I'm basically agreeing with you there, but I don't agree that we can assume this would be all good and no bad. I'm more saying there's a chance someone who remembers being breastfed will be hindered in this part of the sexual realm (which is quite common in relationships in the real world).

I'm not assuming you're not preparing your children for the real world. I'm saying, by comparison, I'm doing what I can to make sure that my child(ren) are prepared. I'm making sure I do nothing to hinder it. If you want to paint me as accusing you of something, let it be this: You... are taking a chance that I don't recommend any parent taking. That is all.

Old 05-16-2012, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Actually, you're the one who keeps suggesting "Maybe they'll see the breast differently than most people". And I'm basically agreeing with you there, but I don't agree that we can assume this would be all good and no bad. I'm more saying there's a chance someone who remembers being breastfed will be hindered in this part of the sexual realm (which is quite common in relationships in the real world).
Most people in the US were not breastfed for extended periods of time so why is it common for people to be sexually hindered? Where did their parents go wrong?

Quote:
I'm not assuming you're not preparing your children for the real world. I'm saying, by comparison, I'm doing what I can to make sure that my child(ren) are prepared. I'm making sure I do nothing to hinder it. If you want to paint me as accusing you of something, let it be this: You... are taking a chance that I don't recommend any parent taking. That is all.
This just reeks of self righteousness. There are no guarantees in life, Vic. You say that you are doing what you can to make sure that your children are prepared and that you do nothing to hinder that yet you base your decisions on nothing more then your opinion. I could easily say that you are taking a chance by NOT practicing extended breastfeeding.

Old 05-16-2012, 06:55 PM

20,535 posts, read 10,934,199 times
Quote:
And I don't think the breast is there for (mostly) sexual reasons; I don't know where you got that.
The posts about men remembering being breast fed and having their adult sex lives affected are a rather large clue.

Old 05-16-2012, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
The posts about men remembering being breast fed and having their adult sex lives affected are a rather large clue.
...that I think the breast is there for mostly or solely sexual reasons? How? I'm not in any way implying the latter is more important, just that remembering the first (because you were breastfed at an age at which you could form such a memory) might hinder the latter. And I do value the latter, and it would seem American society in general does too. So what?

Quote:
Most people in the US were not breastfed for extended periods of time so why is it common for people to be sexually hindered? Where did their parents go wrong?
For them, it may have nothing to do with their parents. For others, it might.

Me saying that this particular thing might contribute to it ≠ Me saying all cases of it are caused by this.

Quote:
This just reeks of self righteousness. There are no guarantees in life, Vic.
No. It doesn't. And I'm well aware that there are no guarantees in life. It's why I worded it "I'm doing what I can to make sure..." instead of "I'm making sure..."

Quote:
You say that you are doing what you can to make sure that your children are prepared and that you do nothing to hinder that yet you base your decisions on nothing more then your opinion. I could easily say that you are taking a chance by NOT practicing extended breastfeeding.
You can say anything you like. But what sort of chance would that be? You yourself brought up how most people are not breastfed extended periods of time. So what affliction could we attribute to not being breastfed beyond toddlerhood, logically?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.