U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2008, 08:00 PM

5,503 posts, read 14,070,281 times

Advertisements

How long is it okay to breastfeed a child?

This mother breastfeeds her 8 year old. Her daughters love her breasts and are old enough to articulate what breastfeeding is like. One says breast milk tastes better than mangos. They love their mother's breasts and even have names for them.

What do you think?

YouTube - Breastfeeding...at 8.

Old 10-30-2008, 08:16 PM

650 posts, read 1,428,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof Woof Woof! View Post
How long is it okay to breastfeed a child?

This mother breastfeeds her 8 year old. Her daughters love her breasts and are old enough to articulate what breastfeeding is like. One says breast milk tastes better than mangos. They love their mother's breasts and even have names for them.

What do you think?

YouTube - Breastfeeding...at 8.
This topic was just debated on another thread recently. I personally think 8 is too old to breastfed, but it works for some people. The WHO recommends breastfeeding until age 2 and after that for as long as the mother and child are comfortable.

I have been nursing for the last 4 years and 2 months straight. My older son nursed until he was 3.5 and I had tandem nursed him throughout my pregnancy with his brother. Now I am only nursing my 19 month old and I will continue until he self-weans.

I think that the right amount of time to commit to breastfeeding varies from mother to mother. I think that all mothers should nurse for at least the one year period that is recommended by the AAP, though.

Old 10-30-2008, 08:33 PM

I thought that was an interesting video of the mom breastfeeding her 8 year old. You can see how happy and relaxed the children are when they breastfeed.

Old 10-30-2008, 08:48 PM

4,267 posts, read 3,084,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2girlsand2boys View Post
I personally think 8 is too old to breastfed, but it works for some people. The WHO recommends breastfeeding until age 2 and after that for as long as the mother and child are comfortable.

I think that the right amount of time to commit to breastfeeding varies from mother to mother.
I agree. I would guess that very few children are still breastfeeding at the age of 8. I personally would not feel comfortable with it but I do not think that there is anything wrong with it either.

From another thread:
Quote:
Originally Posted by yodi View Post
This is a very interesting piece on the natural age of weaning in mammals. The natural age of weaning is dependent on multiple factors such as the age that the child gets their first permanent molars, length of gestation, size of adults (larger mammals such as humans wean when their children quadruple their birth weight or reach 1/3 of their adult weight). Based on these studies the minimum predicted age for a natural age of weaning in humans is 2.5 years and a maximum of 7 years.

A Natural Age of Weaning

Old 10-30-2008, 08:56 PM

139 posts, read 479,995 times
I have breastfed an almost four year old... to be honest it felt a bit creepy and I eventually put my foot down and said she had to drink the milk from a cup (I could hand express a bit). Then my milk dried up. She had health problems though, otherwise I wouldn't have done it.

Old 10-30-2008, 10:27 PM

Well, the woman in the video says she wants her children to wean themselves naturally. But in nature, my mothers play a part in pushing the babies away, too.

I think it's natural for a mother to say "enough is enough" to a child that is getting bigger and bigger. In the video it did look strange to see an 8 year old nursing.

Old 10-30-2008, 10:38 PM

90 posts, read 392,893 times
I am a HUGE advocate of breastfeeding, but I think that this is borderline creepy. I could understand if people in undeveloped countries nursed until this age when food is scarce, but ahhhh...its weird to see this women doing it.

Old 10-30-2008, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skhimmelreich View Post
I am a HUGE advocate of breastfeeding, but I think that this is borderline creepy. I could understand if people in undeveloped countries nursed until this age when food is scarce, but ahhhh...its weird to see this women doing it.
It is a little weird. You wonder if the mother has trouble with allowing her kids to be independent?

Old 10-31-2008, 05:55 AM

4,891 posts, read 12,099,721 times
sorry, i dont mean to sound ignorant, but this video was just gross. i could not watch it past the seconds after she started nursing.
i think anything past 2 years is too much. why do doctors tell parents that once the child is a year old, they need to start drinking from a cup and no bottle, but it's ok to breastfeed this long?!

Old 10-31-2008, 06:00 AM

1,651 posts, read 2,011,556 times
I read recently how a woman in Louisiana was still breastfeeding her son at 18.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting