Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2008, 09:13 PM

1,655 posts, read 3,397,854 times

Advertisements

I 'm a vegetarian, but, I told myself that if my son wanted to eat meat I would deal with it, and let him. I had given it to him quite a few times when he was a toddler, he would gag and vomit it up right away, or push it off his plate. And then once he learned where it really came from he said "NO THANKS". So what I do is make sure he gets lots of veggies, oatmeal, and soy products. He is extremely healthy, as am I. These days I would be afraid to give it to my kid, especially with all the tainted-meat issues, and hormones, not to mention the cruelty involved. I think it's a big misconception that we all need to eat meat, put there by the meat industry, more about greed than anything, I think.

I wouldn't force her, let her make up her own mind, find alternatives to meat, they are out there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2008, 07:41 PM

528 posts, read 1,462,776 times
I have a picky four year old - she is picky about meat like your child. I just make sure that I have other (healthy) replacements. Lots of fresh fruit (she loves fruit such as bananas with a little bit of peanut butter) and veggies. She happens to love salad, so this is what she has a lot of the time. I just try not to replace meat with carbs, but with something with vitamins & protein.

I don't know how we got to be a nation that feels we must have meat on our plates to have a well-balanced meal (this is how I grew up anyway) but it's just not necessary so long as the children get their daily vitamins & minerals through other sources.

It's not so bad not eating meat anyway with what they do to meat these days (injecting chicken with antibiotics & other junk - don't get me started on beef). Meat is more unhealthy than we realize. I'd like to kick the meat habit myself.

Old 11-10-2008, 09:54 AM

3,257 posts, read 6,127,173 times
one more trick. Put lotsa ketchup or ranch on the meat for dipping. Or whatever flavor she likes. IT can mask the taste of almost ANTHING.

Old 11-10-2008, 10:07 AM

2,406 posts, read 7,902,107 times
There are many, many sources of protein other than meat. I don't understand why its necessary to force feed a child meat if they don't like it, with all the other alternatives out there, that frankly are much healthier. Rather than masking it with sauces and ketchups, which is not that healthy, find alternatives that you dont have to hide and cover up.

My daughter (13) has never had meat in her entire life. She is the healthiest, strongest child. My husband (a doctor) even thinks how remarkable her health is. Focus on what is nutritionally necessary, fruits veggies, grains, nuts, beans, etc, rather than what seems socially or conventionally necessary.

Old 11-10-2008, 10:17 AM

4,760 posts, read 13,825,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davachka View Post
There are many, many sources of protein other than meat. I don't understand why its necessary to force feed a child meat if they don't like it, with all the other alternatives out there, that frankly are much healthier. Rather than masking it with sauces and ketchups, which is not that healthy, find alternatives that you dont have to hide and cover up.
Agreed. Meat covered in ketchup or ranch dressing is more of a problem than just meat by itself, because you are more likely to be surprised and disgusted when you bite into something nasty like gristle or fat.

Old 11-10-2008, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topaz View Post
Agreed. Meat covered in ketchup or ranch dressing is more of a problem than just meat by itself, because you are more likely to be surprised and disgusted when you bite into something nasty like gristle or fat.
Why on earth would you serve your child gristle or fat?

Good lord don't you clean the meat first and remove the gross stuff?

Yeah We only eat chicken. But whatever. I dont like chickens. They were not the nicest creatures when I had them.

Old 11-10-2008, 10:45 AM

4,760 posts, read 13,825,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taboo2 View Post
Why on earth would you serve your child gristle or fat?

Good lord don't you clean the meat first and remove the gross stuff?
I don't cook meat but my husband does. I think he does the best he can to clean and trim the meat but meat being what it is, it is tough to be 100% sure that there isn't a bite or two left of something unappetizing buried in the middle of the meat. Some children are more sensitive to this...I know that I was!

Old 11-11-2008, 11:24 AM

8,411 posts, read 39,257,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Topaz View Post
Not to mention the fat, sugar and sodium load in those products.
There is a new trend with not only fat kids but now KIDNEY STONES!

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/10/28/he...o_interstitial

Old 11-11-2008, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitt_transplant View Post
Not to mention the fat, sugar and sodium load in those products.
There is a new trend with not only fat kids but now KIDNEY STONES!

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/10/28/he...o_interstitial
My child has no fat on her so perhaps that is why i am ok with the condiments.

Kidney stones are not caused by ranch or ketchup.

Kidney stones are caused by not drinking enough water to clean out the system. Bladder infections and constipation is also from not enough water in children.

My husband has kidney stones at age 25 because he worked at a movie theater and ate a lot of popcorn and soda the Dr. said.
  • <LI class=doublespace>Calcium stones. Roughly four out of five kidney stones are calcium stones. These stones are usually a combination of calcium and oxalate. Oxalate is a compound that occurs naturally in some fruits and vegetables. A number of factors can cause high concentrations of these substances in urine. Excess calcium, for instance, may result from ingesting large amounts of vitamin D, from treatment with thyroid hormones or certain diuretics, and from some cancers and kidney conditions. You may also have high levels of calcium if your parathyroid glands, which regulate calcium metabolism, are overactive (hyperparathyroidism). On the other hand, certain genetic factors, intestinal bypass surgery and a diet high in oxalic acid may cause excess amounts of oxalate in your body. <LI class=doublespace>Struvite stones. Found more often in women than in men, struvite stones are almost always the result of chronic urinary tract infections caused by bacteria that produce specific enzymes. These enzymes increase the amount of ammonia in the urine, which is incorporated in the crystals of struvite stones. These stones are often large, may have a characteristic stag's-horn shape and can seriously damage your kidneys. <LI class=doublespace>Uric acid stones. These stones are formed of uric acid, a byproduct of protein metabolism. You're more likely to develop uric acid stones if you've undergone chemotherapy, you eat a high-protein diet or you have certain genetic factors that predispose you to the condition.
  • Cystine stones. These stones represent only a small percentage of kidney stones. They form in people with a hereditary disorder that causes the kidneys to excrete excessive amounts of certain amino acids (cystinuria).

Old 11-11-2008, 11:49 AM

8,411 posts, read 39,257,845 times
Ranch and ketchup are LOADED with salt.
Plus fat (unhealthy fat) in the system is not good for your heart health no matter how fat or thin you are.

Read the article. :

"Forty to 65 percent of kidney stones are formed when oxalate, a byproduct of certain foods, binds to calcium in the urine. (Other common types include calcium phosphate stones and uric acid stones.) And the two biggest risk factors for this binding process are not drinking enough fluids and eating too much salt; both increase the amount of calcium and oxalate in the urine."

Get low sodium.
Look to compare:

Ketchup:
The amt is 1 TBS which is about 2.5 fast food pkts

Low Sodium:
Calories 15
Calories from Fat 0
Sodium 3mg = 0%
Total Carbohydrates 3.8g = 1%
Sugars 3.4g

Regular Ketchup
Calories 15
Calories from Fat 0
Sodium 167mg = 7% (seven times the amt!)
Total Carbohydrates 3.8g = 1%
Sugars 3.4g

You should really pay attention to that since the father had already show the tendency via structure and habits.

Ranch dressing is the one of the worst foods out there:

Serving Size 2 tbsp

Amount Per Serving
Calories 148
Calories from Fat 140

Total Fat 15.6g = 24% A quarter of your daily needs in TWO SPOONS
Saturated Fat 2.4g = 12% Look at that saturated fat!
Cholesterol 8mg = 3%
Sodium 287mg = 12%
Total Carbohydrates 1.3g0%
Sugars 1.2g
Protein 0.4g
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting