Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2008, 10:18 AM

2,972 posts, read 8,214,396 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgresident View Post
my son is now a soph in college and I spent the majority of his senior year shedding tears. It was the most difficult thing I had to do..drop him off at college. The first semester was especially difficult for me, but things have really improved. I don't cry about missing him any more! I take great joy in his phone calls..when he calls just to tell me he did good on a test!!! Also, with the recent political atmosphere, he would call just to tell me how he and his roommates were debating the president race. Take my word for it, it does get better..but you are correct, enjoy your children because they grow up so fast!
The oldest is the hardest for parenting because they are the first for everything. We've always been close, which makes it a little more for me to accept that he's a young man now. Equally though, I'll be just as proud when this day comes in a few years for my younger children.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2008, 10:19 AM

3,032 posts, read 8,921,065 times
I didn't feel sad at all when my kids flew the nest. I was excited for them that they were starting such a new and interesting phase of their lives, and it was really fun to plan it with them, and then to wave goodbye to them as they started on a life adventure.

Old 11-05-2008, 10:22 AM

2,972 posts, read 8,214,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuSuSushi View Post
I didn't feel sad at all when my kids flew the nest. I was excited for them that they were starting such a new and interesting phase of their lives, and it was really fun to plan it with them, and then to wave goodbye to them as they started on a life adventure.
Thank you.

I have to remind myself that while he's looking at graduation in June and being accepted to college, this isn't an end.... but a new beginning.

Old 11-05-2008, 01:27 PM

788 posts, read 2,111,347 times
My oldest baby is a senior this year in high school and we are waiting for the college letters. I have been a total basket case this entire year. He just rolls his eyes and hugs me and my younger kids laugh too - but they seem to like that I care that much. I'm not ready for him to be so grown up and as proud as I am of him - I am not ready.

Old 11-05-2008, 02:06 PM

8,176 posts, read 18,537,395 times
Big hugs....ya know it is possible to be excited and happy for your kids to be starting a wonderful new phase of their lives AND be sad that they are going too. Absolutely nothing wrong with either emotion.

I thought I was all fine and dandy with my son going off on his own but when the recruiter came to pick him up to leave for bootcamp I was no good for two days. My house felt like there was a hole in it.

Old 11-05-2008, 02:20 PM

2,589 posts, read 10,556,354 times
Our oldest left for college last year and our youngest this year... its been a great time, seeing that they are mature enough to venture out and begin their own lives - what an adventure - so proud of them. Can't imagine being a basket case, crying and mourning - its so gratifying seeing them suceed in life - what more could a parent want?

Old 11-05-2008, 02:36 PM

894 posts, read 4,349,918 times
My one and only son is almost a junior in college. I had total empty nest for like the first semester. We have a great relationship, but now when he comes to visit for anything longer than two days, I am thinking, when are you going back? My husband and I are enjoying each other again. We have come full circle. Seriously, it comes fast and furious, but you adapt equally as fast.

Old 11-05-2008, 02:56 PM

5,244 posts, read 4,709,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FedupWNY View Post
Parents, please enjoy every moment in watching your children growing up. Teach them well to be good a good person, give them encouragement and plenty of love, support their interests, accept their views. Be their guide until they find their own way.

My son received a letter yesterday from a local college letting him know he had been accepted for the fall 2009 school year. It's exciting news. Happy news.

Children grow so fast and mostly all I have learned is to hold on to the memories made, because I feel you'll one day be where I am. It's much different than his first day of kindergarden, though, I have to learn all over again how to let go.
Congratulations to you and to him on his acceptance! That is a great achievement on both the parents and the college bound young adult. I just sent my first to Kindergarten and you'd think it was college! Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting