U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2008, 10:14 PM

24,364 posts, read 29,075,265 times
Post News, Father Fights Pit Bull To Save Daughter.

HAPPY VALLEY, Ore. -- A man rescued his daughter from an attack by a 90-pound pit bull that continued to attack, biting the man in several places Wednesday afternoon, police said.

Steven M. Hehr, 31, of Gladstone, and his daughter, Jayda Kempas, 7, were recovering Thursday as she waited to go into surgery for her injuries after the vicious attack that left them both injured and the dog dead, Strovink said.

Father Fights Pit Bull To Save Daughter - Portland News Story - KPTV Portland
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2008, 08:08 AM

1,022 posts, read 2,126,615 times
Wow. What a horrible experience for this family. I bet Daddy is even more of a hero to his little girl now!

Old 11-21-2008, 12:52 PM

5,503 posts, read 13,218,466 times
Yeah, sorry, but those dogs give me the creeps.

Whose dog was it anyway? And why did the dog go crazy like that? Evidently, it thought the little girl was an interloper.

Old 11-22-2008, 04:30 AM

58 posts, read 225,328 times
Daaaaaang! Go Dad!!!

I'm not one of those who believes all pit bulls are evil and I'm not really afraid of them (I'm more afraid of Chows), but I would never, ever own one. Sorry, but I'm downright prejudiced on this one.

Last edited by jeannie216; 08-10-2009 at 04:09 AM.. Reason: Some members found this picture offensive

Old 12-30-2008, 11:04 AM

1 posts, read 117,773 times
Pure bred American Pit Bull Terriers don't attack kids or people. It's not how they are bred. And pure bred American Pit Bull Terriers don't weight "90 lbs". This dog isn't a pure bred American Pit Bull Terrier it might even be another breed all together that looks similar to a pitbull but yet and still the pitbull as a breed will always get the blame just because of its name.

Old 01-04-2009, 03:41 PM

16 posts, read 123,916 times
It is not the dogs fault bit bull or not.It is all how the dog is raised.I have owned two pits and I have three small kids.They are great dogs if they are raised the right way.And the news always say they are pit bull attacks just because pits are Supposed to mean dogs.I think it is sad that people make this bred sound so mean and killers.

Old 01-04-2009, 08:19 PM

3,429 posts, read 6,355,775 times
I feel bad for the girl and her dad. Also story doesn't tell us where did dog come from and how attack started. Just a little details media like to omit....

Old 01-04-2009, 09:48 PM

617 posts, read 1,395,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex004 View Post
Pure bred American Pit Bull Terriers don't attack kids or people. It's not how they are bred. And pure bred American Pit Bull Terriers don't weight "90 lbs". This dog isn't a pure bred American Pit Bull Terrier it might even be another breed all together that looks similar to a pitbull but yet and still the pitbull as a breed will always get the blame just because of its name.
Exactly. Pit Bulls were bred to fight other animals. Through history, they fought bulls, rats and other pit bulls for man's amusement. HOWEVER (and this is important) these "sporting dogs" had to be handled by their owners as well as the pit referee during the fight and therefore the dog had to be human-passive. In fact, Pit Bulls who showed any human aggression were typically put down.

Because of the Pit Bull's passive nature toward humans, these dogs became the most popular family dogs in the early 1900s. They were even nicknamed the "Nanny Dog" because they were so good with children.

And you're right about the problem with mistaken identity. There are about 25 AKC breeds that are often confused with Pit Bulls. I have a page of pictures of dogs if anyone wants to try to find the Pit Bull. Only one dog is an American Pit Bull Terrier. Can you find it?

Pit Bull Search

Old 01-04-2009, 10:43 PM

13 posts, read 234,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by askdc View Post
It is not the dogs fault bit bull or not.It is all how the dog is raised.I have owned two pits and I have three small kids.They are great dogs if they are raised the right way.And the news always say they are pit bull attacks just because pits are Supposed to mean dogs.I think it is sad that people make this bred sound so mean and killers.
totally agree..im glad the girl and her father are ok.. i feel bad for the dog and blame the owner

Old 01-04-2009, 11:06 PM

47,976 posts, read 43,453,076 times
the discussions on pit bulls are very much like global warming.huck let me esplain to you why that dog chewed up your leg. huck let me esplain to you why that sunami leveled your house. its just a phase of nature.there really isn't any problem you just need to change your perceptions. there now, feel better?? i have been attacked by a mean dog. utterly unprovoked. the owner joked about it with his friends. little or no remorse at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting