U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2008, 02:55 PM

8,424 posts, read 23,541,868 times
Pinch the ear and make them stand in the corner until they apologize and tell you why you don't hit people. I think ear pinching is better than spankings. You are not accidentally going to hit them too hard and the ear makes a wonderful built in leash to take them to the corner with. Plus ear pinching really freaking hurts. Oh man...if I ever got an ear pinch over something I NEVER EVER even wanted to do it again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2008, 09:34 PM

5,503 posts, read 13,577,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitt_transplant View Post
Pinch the ear and make them stand in the corner until they apologize and tell you why you don't hit people. I think ear pinching is better than spankings. You are not accidentally going to hit them too hard and the ear makes a wonderful built in leash to take them to the corner with. Plus ear pinching really freaking hurts. Oh man...if I ever got an ear pinch over something I NEVER EVER even wanted to do it again.
I know, but a two year old?

That's like an itty bitty baby. I can't pinch a baby's ear.

Would you pinch a kitten's ear? See, I couldn't do that either.

Old 12-11-2008, 07:21 AM

3,832 posts, read 7,727,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof Woof Woof! View Post
...I know, but a two year old?

That's like an itty bitty baby...
Spend a day....one.....with my son and you will want to pinch something on him and drag him to a corner. He's a holy terror when he wants to be. Usually that's within a couple of hours of bedtime.

Old 12-11-2008, 07:34 AM
c99

237 posts, read 629,874 times
Violence begets violence.

What about trying a kind, firm approach to discipline instead? I have found the Positive Discipline series of books by Jane Nelsen to be very helpful (e.g., Positive Discipline, The First Three Years: From Infant to Toddler - Laying the Foundation in Raising a Capable, Confident Child).

We all want the best for our children. There are many other resources that provide ideas on ways to raise happy, kind, respectful children without hitting, pinching or otherwise abusing them out of our own anger, frustration, or inability to deal with our emotions.

Check out your local library or your favorite online retailer using the search terms "positive discipline."

Old 12-11-2008, 09:46 AM

1,692 posts, read 2,231,970 times
All 2 year olds hit. I have a almost two year old and she does the same thing. I say with a loud tone No Hitting. I would try time out but here is the kick to that. Do it everytime. I think sometimes in the first year when kids get closer to the year mark and the next year they do things that at that time are funny. As they get older it isn't funny anymore. I always even with a one year old would say the same thing then take their hand and open it and say Nice Touches. I can say this all two year olds hit, bite , throw and all that because they can't control themselves. I think that when the child is the only one it can be worse. Two year olds are also ego based.

Old 12-11-2008, 12:58 PM

3,254 posts, read 3,418,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VRE332 View Post
I have a 2.5 year old daughter. When she gets mad, she will use her right hand and hit my leg, or hit my wife's leg, or hit the wall when she gets mad. I'm not sure how to stop this and tried many methods. I have made her do a 5 minute time-out in the corner, for a few months and it's not working. I have said NO very loudly, and NO in a normal tone, but it's not stopping. My daughter also kicked me and kicked her baby cousin.

I forgot to mention, this hitting thing only happen mostly in the present of 2 or more people. When my daughter is together with me, and wife is not around, this behavior does not happen.

I am out of ideas. I am not sure what to do.... maybe you could all help me?

Thanks
I had a child at 1.5yrs - 2 yrs who did this. She would hit mainly me.

We worked with her and she eventually grew out of it. "We don't hit" became a mantra as did time-outs.

Sometimes as a punishment instead of hitting her since i was saying we don't hit others -i felt it hypocritical to hit her- was after she wacked me, i would tell her "You need to go away from me, i don't want little girls who hit me to come near me. You need to stay over there if you are going to continue to hit me". That is what made her BAAWL and cry. Denying her good touching like hugs right after she would smack me let her know that if we touch someone meanly it has repercussions.

Last edited by Taboo2; 12-11-2008 at 01:11 PM..

Old 12-11-2008, 01:59 PM

529 posts, read 500,676 times
Default Not always

Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmom48 View Post
All 2 year olds hit. I think that when the child is the only one it can be worse.
Nope, my child never hit. And he's an only.

Years ago, before I became a parent, I was watching a comedian on television. He was pretending to spank a child saying "how many times have I told you not to hit your sister." It was then and there that I decided never to spank.

It got to the point where other kids would hit my son and I had to tell him if they start it you finish it. He replied I thought I would get in trouble for hitting them and I told him not if they hit you first. My son is extremely tall and muscular for his age. Once he started defending himself the other kids no longer hit him. He is a gentle giant.

Old 08-19-2010, 06:03 PM

1 posts, read 1,607 times
i have a 2 year old that will be 3 in november and she told me that she learned "smacking" from her father who she says smacks her. We are seperated and thankfully dcf got involved and she openly admitted to them that her father "smacks" her. the only thing is now she "smacks" me and her older step brother. we NEVER use the word "SMACK" we always would say hands down no hitting. its unfornuate that a 33yr old man could put the hands on my daughter and think its ok. I just hope he gets punishment for what he has done to her and has taught her. Now she smacks me her mom and thinks its ok bc daddy does it to her. Please pray to god visits stop for me and DCF finds him in neglact.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting