Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2008, 09:11 AM

43,854 posts, read 50,923,247 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrfitchett4 View Post
Santa does exist, I am him for my children.
I think this is the whole point. As parents, we plan all year to provide as many special gifts and memories as we can for our children. And when their eyes light up and they smile.....we feel just a little magical.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2008, 09:54 AM

17,290 posts, read 29,304,690 times
Kids whose parents don't play along with the Santa Claus thing are the miserable louts I remember on the playground, trying to make all the other happy kids miserable just like them.

Old 12-07-2008, 10:35 AM

7,138 posts, read 14,599,556 times
Santa, the Easter Bunny and the tooth fairy, etc. are all part of the folklore of our society. Every society has their fictitious characters. Children need fantasy and magic until they grow out of that phase of magical thinking, is part of normal development of a child. Those who would deny this to children, show their ignorance and their own stunted emotional growth. Also, just a nice little dig at the Christian holiday, isn't it.

Old 12-07-2008, 10:54 AM

559 posts, read 1,459,802 times
At first I thought she was serious then she brought up the Shadow People...lost all credibility.

Old 12-07-2008, 11:07 AM

7,138 posts, read 14,599,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowthedirtbub View Post
At first I thought she was serious then she brought up the Shadow People...lost all credibility.

Yes, definitely deeper issues going on here other than hatred of Santa.....

Old 12-07-2008, 11:19 AM

541 posts, read 1,141,127 times
For those that do teach about SC, has your child ever asked why so many charities collect new,
wrapped toys to donate? My step-mother never told my brother about SC because she said "sooner or later children will wonder why SC never comes to visit the poor kids."

Old 12-07-2008, 11:35 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,354,751 times
Well "sooner or later" they learn about a lot of things. I don't see this as a reason not to enjoy Santa...

Old 12-07-2008, 12:12 PM

667 posts, read 2,295,974 times
At 25, I still think of all my wonderful childhood memories of Christmas, Santa & knowing that it is the time we celebrate the birth of Jesus.
To victorianpunk: I am sorry that Christmas is such a hated time of year for you. It is clear to a few of us why you feel so strongly about this issue & I'm sorry that this wonderful holiday was destoyed for you so young, I would probably be very unhappy with my mom, as well, I don't blame you.
But to be so spiteful to everyone else who is honestly just making a little innocent magic for their children is a bit "over the line." We are not abusing our children nor is this the ONLY magic we create for our children.
During the spring & summer I collect nature items with my son & we make windchimes. This is something that is very enchanting for both of us, knowing that with the help of our beautiful world, we can create such pretty things.
Both my husband & I take our son to work with us to show him what we do at work & how we help other people. I let my son talk with my customers & he just loves doing this. I can tell that when he sees how we interact & help others, it is magical for him.
Please don't let some of your happiness be stripped away by your experiences. Learn from what you have been through.

Old 12-07-2008, 07:36 PM

16 posts, read 80,442 times
Why are you so bitter about santa ? I told my children when they asked me about him, that if you want to believe you can and if you don't its ok ,,,,kids are only kids for a short time, why can't they have a few happy childhood memories. remember, that special gift we asked santa for and we got it ? we were the happiest kids in the world...my kids have kids of thier own now, and they tell them the same as I told them at the same age, believing in santa never harmed them, or any child I ever knew and I never was accused of lying of to them. " merry christmas " to all.

Old 12-07-2008, 10:43 PM

5,384 posts, read 10,836,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victorianpunk View Post
So, if you were at a mall or something and someone screamed at her child "you're worthless and a horrable excuse for human life! I wish I never had you! You will never be anything and are a waste of life!..."etc, would you care what that other person told their kid?

Lying to your kids about Santa is a form of child abuse as far as I'm concerned.
Are you for real? Providing your child with the magic of Santa is ABUSE? Polar Express and all its wonder is abusive? It is as if I have beaten my child all because I provided them with a sense of wonder? A month of joy and magic? Providing them with gifts and stories of a kind jolly old soul who wants all children to be happy.... and brings them gifts and good tidings.... Filling their heads with happy thoughts.... is ABUSIVE?

I think destroying a childs sense of wonder, crushing their IMAGINATION.... making them GROW UP sooner than they need to.... now THAT is abusive. Why not let them believe in something big and magical? Only an abusive bully would crush a child's dream of Santa.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting