U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2008, 02:52 PM

427 posts, read 823,355 times

Advertisements

My mother has massive back problem has since a car accident when she was in her eraly 20's. She is not supposed to push,pull,lift,bend,or stoop. All of which she does cause she doesn't listen to doctors. Sometimes she can't pick my brother up, and she can't run after him all the time when he takes off.

Danielle we use the monkey one. It's adorable. My brother is able to unbuckle his stroller and the backpack, except he doesn't.

If the child does not have an issue with the harness then what is the problem.
Leashes have used on children for more than 40 years. I have never heard of a child being injured by one.

When we go to mystic seaport it could be very simple for a young child to fall in the water, if they get loose from you hand or trip and fall, even if holding their hand you could lose your grip, with the harness you have a better chance of keeping them safe.

I can let my brother out of a harness just as easy as I can out of a stroller. He hates the stroller. The harness, his monkey he calls curious george, makes him happy.

skbs-what other option would use use for a child that does not like the stoller,holding hands, or being carried, and has a tendency to book.?

A child is also more likely to get hurt holding hands than in a harness. I popped my shoulder out its socket 3 times when I was little, cause I had a habit of dropping when I got mad. if I had been in the harness instead that wouldn't have happened.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2008, 03:05 PM

3,842 posts, read 6,861,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridam0m2 View Post
Maybe parents who do use this should consider using leashes tying them to their spouse as well so they don't get seperated.
I was stuck in an airport for close to 4hrs with my son in order to be by the side of one of my closest friends whose husband was killed in Iraq & she had 4children to tend too....I was going to help... My dh was deployed to Iraq, so he wasn't really around....

Please people...keep judging...PLEASE!!!...

Really, I wanted to bound & shackle my son...that was the pure reason....

For some, this has NOTHING TO DO WITH BEING IN A GROCERY STORE FOR 20 MINUTES to pick up some bread & milk while a mom talks on her cell phone & doesn't want to deal with her kids...FOR SOME, this was a helpful aid to a situation that was not in one's control & a way to properly handle it.

You have a better idea about being in an airport ofr 4 hours?

Better off, those who think it's tying up a child, AGAIN, I pose the question: please, give the best way to handle a extremely long layover in one of the nation's busiest airports when you are by yourself?? Remember, you still only on #2 of 3 flights!

It's pathetic that MOMS, of all people, have the nerve to judge others; especially if they have absolutely no clue & no idea what that other mom is going through.

The next time you see a frazzled mom...make sure to judge her!

Old 12-09-2008, 03:10 PM

2,868 posts, read 6,266,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 121804 View Post
I was stuck in an airport for close to 4hrs with my son in order to be by the side of one of my closest friends whose husband was killed in Iraq & she had 4children to tend too....I was going to help... My dh was deployed to Iraq, so he wasn't really around....

For some, this has NOTHING TO DO WITH BEING IN A GROCERY STORE FOR 20 MINUTES to pick up some bread & milk...FOR SOME, this was a helpful aid to a situation that was not in one's control & a way to properly handle it.

Better off, those who think it's tying up a child, AGAIN, I pose the question: please, give the best way to handle a extremely long layover in one of the nation's busiest airports when you are by yourself?? Remember, you still only on #2 of 3 flights!

If you haven't lived through it, you have NO clue!

I guess you could have 'shackled' him into a stroller and pushed him around for 4 hours. I am sure he would have just loved that. Sitting in the same seat for 4 hours...only to hop on a plane and sit some more. I am sure your son prefered the ability to move around and walk in comparision to being 'shackled' to a stroller and pushed around for 4 hours.

You absolutey did the right thing. And you know what,,,if it worked for you and your son...who cares what other judgemental and shallow people think. You did good. I would have done the same.

Old 12-09-2008, 03:18 PM

3,842 posts, read 6,861,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by *Danielle* View Post
I guess you could have 'shackeled' him into a stroller and pushed him around for 4 hours. I am sure he would have just loved that. Sitting in the same seat for 4 hours...only to hop on a plane and sit some more. I am sure your son prefered the ability to move around and walk in comparision to being 'shackeled' to a stroller and pushed around for 4 hours.

You absolutey did the right thing. And you know what,,,if it worked for you and your son...who cares what other judgemental ans shallow people think. You did good.
The umbrella stroller was helping me carry around the car seat

And I did push him around. And take him to the food court. And let him walk by my side without the harness. And have him sit without the harness. And let him run when we found an area that had only a few people (close to impossible) without the harness. And changed his diaper without the harness. And walked around some more. And pushed him around. And let him look out the window at the planes without the harness.

We did that cycle about 4-5 times. And to keep my sanity due to circumstances civilians really don't get nor can even comprehend, I strapped on the monkey, put his sippy cup & cheerios in the backpack part (he thought that was so cool) & gave him some freedom in an airport that I hope to never have to see again

And it did work for him and it worked for me.

You do what you do as a mom. And you have every right to do what you need to do (non-abusive techniques & the harness is not abusive) in order to maintain an element of control.

A person doesn't have to like it or even agree with it. Doesn't mean they hav the right to judge my parenting decisions. My husband does & that is the only person

Old 12-09-2008, 04:06 PM

8,424 posts, read 24,468,826 times
I think some hyper kids deal better with being on a leash(less tantrums). One thing you wont ever have to deal with is a fast snatch and run. I would never travel without a kid leash these days. Let the people judge you. Your kid wont end up like a road pancake or trapped in some overseas sex parlor for pedo freaks. That matters more.

Old 12-09-2008, 04:58 PM

14,874 posts, read 23,936,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridam0m2 View Post
Everyone has different parenting skills and it is hard not to judge others. Personally, I would never put my child on a leash (sorry in my opinion like a dog). However some parents might not have the patience or the time to teach their kids rules and bounderies

I do understand using a leash if your child is deaf and it is difficult to communicate or physically disabled and does not understand the concept of holding hands or staying close. I also understand if a grandparent or someone eldery is watching the child.

Maybe if the leash attached to the parents wrist and the child's wrist and was retractable it would not remind so many people of a "dog leash." Maybe parents who do use this should consider using leashes tying them to their spouse as well so they don't get seperated.
Just as each parent has "different parenting skills" no two children are EXACTLY ALIKE! Just because a parent does use one does NOT mean they have "no patience or time" to discipline their children at all.

Sooo, the second you see a child w/ a "leash" your judging them based on whether or not they have a NOTICEABLE disability???? Nice.....

Years ago when my oldest was a toddler the "leashes" for kids then WERE for their wrists. Velcro as a matter of fact. I saw kids able to just rip those things off and take off. That is why they now have the backpack kind w/ the harness instead of a typical "leash". Besides, being on their wrist DOES limit the mobility of their arm and hands. YUCK! I'd take the new ones now in a heartbeat.

As a matter of fact I would have LOVED to have had a leash between my husband and I while we were at DisneyWorld a few weeks ago. In some of the mad crowds I DID reach out and grab hold of his shirt while he had the hand of the 13 year old and I had the hand of the 10 year old. Neither of which need a "leash" but the crowds were SOOOOO intense that to keep from getting seperated we HAD TO! We were basically a "train" to keep us together. I would NEVER dream of going to Disney World or such w/ a toddler and NOT have one. I saw several there as a matter of fact and every one of the kids that were using it looked happy and content.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raising3boys View Post
I think maybe the problem is what some of us feel is INHUMANE and what isn't.

Why is that some people feel the need to push so hard to be "right"?

You just have to do what you feel is RIGHT for YOUR child. If you do not want to use a leash, then don't use it.

I think just because of this discussion though, I am going to order one and at least try it. We looked at Target, but it seemed kind of flimsy. It looked like it would break right away.

BTW~ They were selling them in the baby department and not the pet department.
EXACTLY!!!! It is MORE "inhumane" to let them be able to escape or get seperated than it would be to use one. I read numerous stories of parents at places like Disney World that said that at some things it was EASY for toddlers or small children to get seperated from their parents even IF they were holding hands. But it wasn't because other kids were making it impossible for the parents to keep hold of their kids hands. IT IS ADULTS!!! So the next time you adults that hate these "leashes" are in a VERY CROWDED situation and there are small children present - STOP PUSHIJNG AND SHOVING! FYI, some areas they do NOT allow strollers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 121804 View Post

For some, this has NOTHING TO DO WITH BEING IN A GROCERY STORE FOR 20 MINUTES to pick up some bread & milk while a mom talks on her cell phone & doesn't want to deal with her kids...FOR SOME, this was a helpful aid to a situation that was not in one's control & a way to properly handle it.

It's pathetic that MOMS, of all people, have the nerve to judge others; especially if they have absolutely no clue & no idea what that other mom is going through.

The next time you see a frazzled mom...make sure to judge her!
Not that I have been in your exact position but I do know how it feels to be "stuck" in an airport w/ a small child. My youngest is a fidgety, hyper, etc. Kind of like me . Whenever we get to our gate I leave the hubby and oldest to sit and her and I walk the terminal. Stroll thru all of the shops, etc. Even when she was a toddler we did this so that she could handle sitting in the same seat for however long the flight was going to be MINUS any delays. We have never been stuck in a very crowded airport but if we had been I would have found me something to use to keep her "attached" to me so that she could move. Sitting in a stroller is NOT the same. They are not burning any "energy" in that at all. That is just the same "sit still" as the airplane will be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitt_transplant View Post
I think some hyper kids deal better with being on a leash(less tantrums). One thing you wont ever have to deal with is a fast snatch and run. I would never travel without a kid leash these days. Let the people judge you. Your kid wont end up like a road pancake or trapped in some overseas sex parlor for pedo freaks. That matters more.

If my kids were little I'd be using it for sure. I did with them back then and they did not have the harness w/ the backpack thingy that they do now. Our neighbors have 4 boys. They use them when they travel and go to amusement parks and such. Before they leave for their annual trip to Disney they start walking the neighborhood weeks in advance w/ the kids and the 2 youngest w/ their harness to get them used to it. I'm sure some of these people would DIE if they saw that. Walking in a "safe" residential neighborhood w/ their kid on a "leash". They sure would be quick to judge and not even know the FACTS! That two of them while they look "normal" and sound "normal" they do have a handicap that does impair their thinking.

Old 12-09-2008, 07:52 PM

17,118 posts, read 12,460,410 times
Wow - went away for a bit and came back. Just wow. Can I just say that I am amazed at the amount of vitriol spewed in judgment of moms who are just doing the best they can? I find it truly sad that a person can position themselves in such a way that they look down upon their fellow moms. As women and moms we really need to be supportive and respectful of the true effort that mothering well takes. I thought we were pretty much over all of that (didn't we learn our lesson on the working/non-working issue - of for that matter breast feeding/non breastfeeding issue?). At one point or another during our lives we will need the support of our fellow moms - and you never know where that support is going to come from - I just don't see what is accomplished by demonizing someone elses choices....sad.

Old 12-10-2008, 10:56 AM

821 posts, read 1,244,777 times
I always thought they were horrible and just awful parenting....
UNTIL - I had my son and my friends and family started to have they're wonder curious little boys and then thought they were wonderful and great parenting... LOL

Not that little girls cant get into trouble but I have both a boy and a girl - In my experience the one to run around and get lost in the racks is my boy while my girl is standing right next to me.

Old 12-10-2008, 01:05 PM

221 posts, read 362,878 times
I'm hoping to get a tazer soon so that I can get rid of these pesky leashes.

Old 12-10-2008, 02:06 PM

845 posts, read 1,208,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fasterserv View Post
I'm hoping to get a tazer soon so that I can get rid of these pesky leashes.
LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting