Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2008, 12:53 PM

2,868 posts, read 9,552,858 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by skbs View Post
A harness is just like a backpack without the pack. The leash is the cord you attach to it. You can detach the leash. It is in two pc, correct? They are not one in the same.

Look at all of these parents who treat their kids 'inhumanely'...and give this harness a 5 star rating...

Does your dog wear a leash like this one?

Goldbug - 2-in-1 Monkey Child Safety Harness Reviews - Walmart.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2008, 12:56 PM

13 posts, read 40,220 times
Quote:
I will do anything to keep my kids safe. Part of that is to teach them rules. One rule I have is to stay with my husband and myself in busy places. I ask them to walk with us/stay WITH us. They have learned to follow the rules. Did they learn the first time? No. Does it take consistency? Yes. I have left zoos, malls...functions that were busy because my kids didn't want to listen. That is how they learned. I ask my child to hold my hand, they do it. I ask them to sit with me, stay with me, walk with me, they do it. All without a leash. If they didn't want to, didn't like sitting still, wanted to run around stores.... and I let them? I can only imagine how difficult of a job I would have today. But a leash didn't do all that. Consistency did.
I have a high spirited 2 year old and a one year old, I agree completely. I do not yell at my children or spank them. Time outs work, we have a time out frog in a special corner and my 2 year old sits there until she is done with her meltdown or ready to pick up her cheerios off the floor and help mommy.
I have done a time out at a store before and left a store to do a time out in the car. After time out is done we have a quick talk, I get down to her level and explain why she was in TO (5 to 7 words no more) and give her a hug and tell her I love her. Yes it takes time and no it's not easy, but it is teaching her values for the future, esp these 1st 3 years when they learn so much and their personality sets in.
Everyone has different parenting skills and it is hard not to judge others. Personally, I would never put my child on a leash (sorry in my opinion like a dog). However some parents might not have the patience or the time to teach their kids rules and bounderies, and if you work full time you don't want to feel like all you are doing is disciplining your child when you are home. I make a game out of it or sing a song or be silly. It's hard and you have to be on your toes, but worth it for my family. The neat thing is if she has a bad day one day the next day she remembers what she learned the day before. Yes there are setbacks, consistency is key.
I give her choices, hold mommy's hand or sit in the stroller or cart depending on where we are. She walks in and out of stores so when she is in a store she doesn't mind riding in a cart, she usually likes to bc I hand her items and she drops them in. We spend time outside at least once a day to expend engery and play.
"One rule I have is to stay with my husband and myself in busy places." That is one of our rules, just like holding hands in parking lots and stores.
Plus I admit I love the physical contact of holding her tiny hand, its so sweet. She is allowed to walk w/o holding my hand in safe areas and allowed to look at things in stores.
I do understand using a leash if your child is deaf and it is difficult to communicate or physically disabled and does not understand the concept of holding hands or staying close. I also understand if a grandparent or someone eldery is watching the child.
Maybe if the leash attached to the parents wrist and the child's wrist and was retractable it would not remind so many people of a "dog leash." Maybe parents who do use this should consider using leashes tying them to their spouse as well so they don't get seperated.

Last edited by floridam0m2; 12-09-2008 at 12:59 PM.. Reason: addition to post

Old 12-09-2008, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Public_Newsense View Post
You could have a point here. So, it's safe to say then, that tying them up and strapping them down in a car seat like some out of control mental patient is inhumane too then. Seriously, explain the difference there. Both the harness and the many straps of the car seat are to keep the child from harm so what's the difference?
I tried to have her explain that difference in respect to belting a child into a stroller. She can't.

Old 12-09-2008, 12:57 PM

5,384 posts, read 10,869,300 times
[quote=Taboo2;6489191[B]Yeah like when they lock their child in the stroller ALL THE TIME instead of letting their children walk around (even on a leash). I find the stroller more of the liking of a lazy parent. I am surprised some of these kids know how to walk they are carted around so much by a stroller.[/b]
Well, that is unfortunate for that child and neglectful for the parent letting the child scream or hollar if they want to leave or get out. But if you read my posts you will see that I do not do or condone any of that nonsense.

So what do you suggest a pregnant mother do when she has been told to NOT carry more than 10 lbs or it will compromise the current pregnancy- which therefore means no picking up the 2 yr old? Well I know when I was in that situation I was put on partial bedrest. I was not allowed to go even go up or down the stairs more than once a day so I don't see how making serious outings would be possible. Also, I don't see how going out with an active child alone in that situation would be possible either, as I was not allowed to do much with my child at that stage of pregnancy due to the risky of labor. So, I was most always with another adult who could help with my child when I was out and about that could do the active work.
She cannot pick up a stroller out of the trunk, what is this parent to do?? Hmm? Let the child run loose? Risk them running into traffic or getting snatched by a stranger because she obviously won't be able to outrun the kid at 8 months pregnant. I think I answered with the above

Yeah- this is why you don't judge others and make blanket statements. You have no idea what these people's reasons are for needing a leash for the child. But i assure you- it is always for the safety of the child. Leashes are not easy. They are hard to manuever, making sure you dont trip everyone or yourself, but they are worth it. Leashes aren't easy to manuever? Is it like when the dog gets caught between your feet? I don't understand? the tugging and pulling of them? I don't think they are the most appropriate method for the welfare of the child.

Why are you so judgemental? You certainly are not a perfect parent. You spend WAY to much time online here arguing with us rather than paying attention to your children to claim to be the perfect parent.[/quote I never said I was perfect.... I said the method was flawed. I think it is inhumane and wrong. And I am on my computer next to my daughter who has been sick watching movies and sleeping a fever away all day. Not that it is any of your business.... but I have not left her side all day.... rubbing her back and playing with her hair as a good mom does.... not that I need to defend myself to you.

Old 12-09-2008, 12:59 PM

My dogs both wear a harness bc I don't think it would feel good to have a leash around your neck.

Old 12-09-2008, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridam0m2 View Post
My dogs both wear a harness bc I don't think it would feel good to have a leash around your neck.
No children wear leashes or colars around their necks.

Old 12-09-2008, 01:04 PM

5,384 posts, read 10,869,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by *Danielle* View Post
I tried to have her explain that difference in respect to belting a child into a stroller. She can't.
No what you have asked me to do is backflips this whole time.... it is insanity. The harness is a leash that is like a dog leash, it is TIED the child to the parent. It is inhumane. The stroller is a seat with a seatbelt so the child does not fall out. That is not inhumane. The child is sitting in a chair like a human being with a safety belt that can be undone to walk around when the child wants. The leash is walk the dog.... I mean child.

Old 12-09-2008, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Danielle* View Post
Look at all of these parents who treat their kids 'inhumanely'...and give this harness a 5 star rating...

Does your dog wear a leash like this one?

Goldbug - 2-in-1 Monkey Child Safety Harness Reviews - Walmart.com

yes, minus the backpack my dogs do

Old 12-09-2008, 01:15 PM

Quote:
No what you have asked me to do is backflips this whole time.... it is insanity. The harness is a leash that is like a dog leash, it is TIED the child to the parent. It is inhumane. The stroller is a seat with a seatbelt so the child does not fall out. That is not inhumane. The child is sitting in a chair like a human being with a safety belt that can be undone to walk around when the child wants. The leash is walk the dog.... I mean child.
Right...your child has legs so they should use them... Being belted into a seat is not really in the best interest of the child is it? At least with a harness they are walking around, moving and happy. I think it is cruel to make an active and healthy child sit in a stroller verses getting up and walking around safely.

PLEASE TELL US THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN STRAPPING A KID TO A SEAT AND PUSHING THEM AROUND VERSES STRAPPING THEM IN A HARNESS AND LETTING THEM WALK SAFELY NEXT TO YOU. Other then it looks like a dog leash...that is your arguement...You think it looks bad.

I have asked you and now someone else has...so ...lets have it...

Old 12-09-2008, 01:17 PM

620 posts, read 1,951,193 times
I think maybe the problem is what some of us feel is INHUMANE and what isn't.

Why is that some people feel the need to push so hard to be "right"?

You just have to do what you feel is RIGHT for YOUR child. If you do not want to use a leash, then don't use it.

I think just because of this discussion though, I am going to order one and at least try it. We looked at Target, but it seemed kind of flimsy. It looked like it would break right away.

BTW~ They were selling them in the baby department and not the pet department.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting