U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2008, 10:20 AM

896 posts, read 3,812,769 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by therewego View Post
Actually the last house you have listed to be in a "rural" area, is actually not in very rural. I have seen that house and it is beautiful plus, there is a Gymboree, a mall, The Little Gym, gymnastics places, library, good schools, all within 10-15 minutes away from that house. That neighborhood is considered very nice. Now, if you want more museums, amusement parks, zoo, major convention venues, you will be driving about 45 minutes to those places. Or there is a place called The Woodlands that also has nice shopping that is about 30 minutes away from that place. Good luck.
Just so there isn't any confusion--I am not the OP. The places the OP google mapped are a little east of San Diego. Not being terribly familiar with eastern San Diego, I didn't feel comfortable being too specific on the area. Isn't The Woodlands outside of Austin? I'm sorry I quoted you but I don't want to be misinterpreted for anything.

Old 12-10-2008, 09:53 PM

603 posts, read 2,006,855 times
Gee, I really think it has to do with personal preference. I think you will find pros and cons with both settings. I personally prefer high-density, kid-friendly communities but that living is not for everyone. My friend prefers more country living, exposure to nature. I think children can thrive in both environments. If you desire the semi-rural, average schools option, you can supplement any gaps in your children's education with resources found on the internet.

Make a list of your family's preferences, goals. What does your family enjoy, what gives you a passion for living? For our family, it would be museums, frequent contact with friends, trips to the park and community swimming pools, short commutes to work and school, a small yard to maintain, etc. For my country-dwelling friend, on the other hand, her list would include making homemade maple syrup and honey, having an organic vegetable garden, lots of land for the kids to roam, fishing, home schooling, buying raw milk from the farmer up the road, etc. As long as you have a nurturing household and your children are stimulated with a variety of experiences, you can't go wrong.

Think about what your childhood living situation was like. Did you live in the city, suburb, or country? What did you like/dislike about your lifestyle? Write all of these thoughts down and have your spouse complete the same exercise.

Old 12-10-2008, 09:56 PM

603 posts, read 2,006,855 times
P.S>I would focus more on what kind of lifestyle you would prefer and then start narrowing in on a house. A house is not everything. If you have a huge, beautiful house out in the middle of nowhere but you hate country living, you will not be happy. Or if you want the best schools but are more introverted and hate having neighbors in your face all the time, then you will be miserable with suburban/urban living.

Old 02-13-2018, 09:55 PM

2 posts, read 393 times
We just moved from a gated semi rural estate near the beautiful Australian bush to the suburbs. Why so stupid I hear you asking?? well it was for my job and for my son to be 'closer" to stuff. We were 36miles from the city of Sydney and 20 miles from major shopping. We were 6 miles from a range of shops for food and coffee options yet we had a property you could still have light a bon fire on!

You are either suburbs or country ( not both) if you move and you are locked in and it is wrong for you, it will eat away at your soul for the rest of your life! BE SURE OF WHAT YOU ARE DOING!

Take it from me, I got it very very wrong!

Old 02-13-2018, 10:02 PM

2 posts, read 393 times
We just moved from a beautiful gated semi rural estate to the suburbs. We were 38 miles from the CBD of Sydney, we were 20 miles from major shopping, we were 6 miles from a smaller township with many coffee and food options. We moved for my job and for my 6 year old son to be closer to "stuff" and it is the worst thing I have ever done in my life! You are either country, urban or burbs not all 3?

If you move, you are locked in like we are, and you hate it like we do you will have many issues in your family unit as no one will be happy and it will not be good for anyone.

Think long and hard whichever way you are planning to move. PLEASE!

Old 02-14-2018, 01:31 PM

3,624 posts, read 4,805,873 times
This thread is a decade old... the OPs children would likely now be in Middle School and I'm sure they figured out the ideal location for their family

Old 02-14-2018, 03:59 PM

13,393 posts, read 20,722,972 times
Thread is 8 years old and the point in the op has probably been settled years ago
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or