Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2008, 08:00 PM

497 posts, read 1,693,788 times

Advertisements

What are some great places for teens to go while on a road trip? Did any of you take an exciting road trip when you were young? If your teen is responsible enough and you as parents set the right rules and boundaries, then I think letting your teen take a safe yet fun road trip with friends you trust would be a great, adventurous and exciting idea!!! Oh the memories!!! Would you let your responsible teen take a road trip with his or her close friends or are you an overprotective lunatic parent who wants to keep your child locked away in a box never to experience any excitement and adventure? Danger can happen anywhere, even around your own home but you just have to protect yourself and go out and enjoy life! Overprotecting your children is only going to make them resent you more. So I say relax and let them see the world!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2008, 08:21 PM

2,223 posts, read 2,219,020 times
Are you asking questions, or making accusations?

Old 12-10-2008, 09:02 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,452,372 times
Well, I guess you could classify me as a lunatic parent, but I think a minor child on a "road trip" is generally not a great idea. At one time it may have been safe but now...not so much. BTW, my state has laws which prohibit the number of teens riding together in a car for the first year or so they are licensed anyway. I guess it is all in your definition of road trip. My feeling is if they are young enough to need my permission, then nope.

Old 12-10-2008, 09:10 PM

I mean older teens around 16-18. I'm not talking about 13 or 14 year olds or anything like that.

Old 12-10-2008, 09:13 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,452,372 times
Me too.....

Old 12-10-2008, 09:29 PM

5,501 posts, read 22,446,727 times
I find the O.P.'s post a little erratic and confusing.

I'm not sure how well teens and road trips go together.

Old 12-10-2008, 09:30 PM

5,384 posts, read 10,867,628 times
I took my first road trip after graduating from high school.... with my best friend when I was 18.... two weeks after graduating. But we were really responsible kids. I mean- I started COLLEGE early and took SUMMER classes before anyone was even thinking about the fact that they had actually graduated from highschool yet! We weren't your average teenagers..... As a teacher I have overheard a lot of really unsettling things that teens do so I don't know what to tell you. If you think your child is responsible, that they won't be drinking, doing drugs, driving under the influence, partying with strangers..... honestly..... the stories go well beyond that. But if you trust them without a SHADOW OF A DOUBT... There are some really cool cities- I went to Boston and loved it. It isn't to large and there is a metro to get around. It was just metropolitan enough..... It was within driving distance from my house...... It was a weekend trip and a very memorable one.... great shopping for two 18 year old girls...... but I would really think hard about it- I couldn't send my own kid in this day in age though.

Old 12-10-2008, 09:31 PM

Well I personally don't think there is anything wrong with responsible teens around their taking a nice little road trip with a few friends for a couple of days. I personally think its a great experience with alot of great memories just as long as you take the proper precautions and keep safe and things like that. I want my teen to see the world and enjoy it. I don't want to keep them locked up in the house. Its up to the parents to teach them right from wrong. So I say have some adventure and go for it! They can go camping, whitewater rafting, and other exciting things! They're not getting any younger! Who knows what tommorrow may bring. So I don't think theres anything wrong with letting them have the experience.

Old 12-10-2008, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof Woof Woof! View Post
I find the O.P.'s post a little erratic and confusing.
Gee thanks.

Old 12-10-2008, 09:37 PM

5,384 posts, read 10,867,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brit3218 View Post
Well I personally don't think there is anything wrong with responsible teens around their taking a nice little road trip with a few friends for a couple of days. I personally think its a great experience with alot of great memories just as long as you take the proper precautions and keep safe and things like that. I want my teen to see the world and enjoy it. I don't want to keep them locked up in the house. Its up to the parents to teach them right from wrong. So I say have some adventure and go for it! They can go camping, whitewater rafting, and other exciting things! They're not getting any younger! Who knows what tommorrow may bring. So I don't think theres anything wrong with letting them have the experience.
Just be careful with a large group of kids driving together.... a lot of distractions in the car.... there was a huge tragedy in Rochester NY a year and a half ago when some teenagers went on a road trip to celebrate the end of the year together going on a little road trip.... not a long trip either....
You can search Fairport's Angels if you want..... and you will learn a lot about a group of friends driving together.... I don't think that is really a good idea to be honest.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting