Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2008, 10:44 PM

12,711 posts, read 13,432,021 times

Advertisements

It's supposed to be a free country. If they're both happy with it, I'm happy for them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2008, 11:01 PM

6,066 posts, read 14,995,807 times
I am a big advocate of natural parenting... we did family bed for a few years while our children were very young and we breastfed and did cloth diapers and all the other crunchy bits... but I honestly feel 6 is too old. I put bandaids on my girls and told my kiddo that they were "broken" when he turned 3. My oldest actually stopped on his own at around 18 months, but my youngest just wanted to keep on nursing... The last year and a half it was really only at naptime and bedtime that he wanted to nurse, or if he was just having one of those days where he felt a little "off"... or he was fighting off a bug or something... I could always tell when something was going on... but I felt his nursing was more about comfort by that time. I felt that he needed to learn how to comfort himself at that point... After I put the bandaids on, he found other ways - like first holding on to my hair as I lulled him to sleep, and eventually sleeping with a stuffed animal. Which he still does even now, and he's 8.

Anyway, personally, yes, I feel like 6 is too old. I think at a certain point it's more about the mother not wanting to give it up, or being afriad to, more than it having anything to do with the child's needs. But I also feel like it's a family's personal private decision and nobody else's business so long as the child is otherwise happy and healthy. Many mammals nurse their young for longer stretches of time. We're just not accustomed to it because we've lost that memory or that part of our humanity. It's strange to us now.

Old 12-12-2008, 11:05 PM

9,367 posts, read 25,139,543 times
I've heard that it could cause the children to become cross-eyed when they are nursing and playing video games at the same time. An now that Wii is out there......

Old 12-13-2008, 08:31 AM

2,839 posts, read 9,957,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HIF View Post
I've heard that it could cause the children to become cross-eyed when they are nursing and playing video games at the same time. An now that Wii is out there......
Ouch, you'd need elastic nipples!

Old 12-13-2008, 05:51 PM

603 posts, read 2,332,648 times
Ewwwww! Really, we don't expect a 6 year old to drink a bottle, so why should a six year old breastfeed? In addition, I've got kids who are 5 and 7 and I don't let them see my bare breast. Why would I let them suck on it at that age? Ewwww!

Old 12-13-2008, 05:55 PM

Location: Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for-B Marley
9,516 posts, read 19,953,710 times

Old 12-14-2008, 09:08 AM

23,790 posts, read 33,271,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe moving View Post
................................that kid is going to have issues.
Issues? That's putting it mildly.
I saw the video of the 8 & 5 year old that have names for them.
When they realize what they've been doing even without knowing, wow.
A a female, I'd wonder if I was into women or something; to say I'd be disturbed is putting it mildly.

Old 12-14-2008, 12:31 PM

5,501 posts, read 22,394,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
Issues? That's putting it mildly.
I saw the video of the 8 & 5 year old that have names for them.
When they realize what they've been doing even without knowing, wow.
A a female, I'd wonder if I was into women or something; to say I'd be disturbed is putting it mildly.
There certainly is a lot of "back woods" paranoia going on around this breastfeeding stuff.

Old 12-14-2008, 05:53 PM

Location: Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for-B Marley
9,516 posts, read 19,953,710 times
Ok, I've collected myself. I'm over my speechlessness. I have something to say now. I say when they're old enough to hold a cup, they should be weened. And my kids were weened within a year so I know they can hold cups that young.

Old 12-18-2008, 08:33 AM

6,023 posts, read 13,999,223 times
I'm 57 and I'm not compleatly weened either. It's that urge when I see a nice pair ! Oops I'll shut up now !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting