Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2009, 05:30 AM

16,880 posts, read 15,138,285 times

Advertisements

I look at it this way, if they are not on public assistance of any type, then no one should be telling them to stop having kids. If they can afford to have 18 or 30 children and give them a loving family, then who are you or I to tell them any different.

if anyone wants to complain about birth control and having men get a vasectomy or the woman on the pill or get their tubes tied, then all you have to do is start by looking to all the people getting welfare checks and still having children.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2009, 03:49 PM

1,986 posts, read 4,052,777 times
I'm wondering what they are looking for. They obviously don't find it in their children. Wouldn't it be more prudent to have nine and love them twice as much? Having that many kids serves no purpose.

Old 01-17-2009, 06:18 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,138,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormy night View Post
I'm wondering what they are looking for. They obviously don't find it in their children. Wouldn't it be more prudent to have nine and love them twice as much? Having that many kids serves no purpose.

It serves no purpose to anyone but them, and that is what matters. I could never have that many children, but if they want to have that many or even more, then that is their choice.

If this would have been 50-70 years ago, not 1 word would have been said, because having 13-25 kids was normal. My fathers family was 19 and my mothers was 15 and they were the norm not the oddity.

As long as the children are being provided for and loved, without any public assistance, then who really should care how many children they are having?

Old 01-17-2009, 08:02 PM

2,839 posts, read 9,956,037 times
You'd think that if growing up in a huge family were so horrible, the kids wouldn't want to replicate that in their own adult lives.

Joshua Duggar & His New Wife Want a Big Family - Weddings : People.com

Old 01-17-2009, 09:57 PM

26,375 posts, read 46,232,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beanandpumpkin View Post
You'd think that if growing up in a huge family were so horrible, the kids wouldn't want to replicate that in their own adult lives.

I don't understand the concept of a huge family in the 21st century. Very few people live on farms anymore, and many family members are not needed for doing farm chores. World population is still growing at a fast rate, and we are all understanding the limits of the natural resources that we do have. When I was growing up I never knew anyone who had more than three other siblings at the most. They all seemed well adjusted and happy.

Old 01-27-2009, 01:50 PM

77 posts, read 171,847 times
I can't help but feel sorry for the older girls in particular, they are the ones taking care of younger children. I happened to be watching the show where they were planning for Josh and Anna's wedding, the girls drove to Flordia with him. The younger kids were going crazy, the father stated something like how are we going to hadle this with girls gone, and Josh stated he needed to get the girls back to help out. I am not trying to put down the Duggars, I watch the show, and think the children are well behaved. But for the love....it is not the responsiblity of those girls to get home and take care of the children, they are children themselves....

Old 01-27-2009, 02:11 PM

1,986 posts, read 4,052,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krislati View Post
I can't help but feel sorry for the older girls in particular, they are the ones taking care of younger children. I happened to be watching the show where they were planning for Josh and Anna's wedding, the girls drove to Flordia with him. The younger kids were going crazy, the father stated something like how are we going to hadle this with girls gone, and Josh stated he needed to get the girls back to help out. I am not trying to put down the Duggars, I watch the show, and think the children are well behaved. But for the love....it is not the responsiblity of those girls to get home and take care of the children, they are children themselves....
I agree.

Old 01-27-2009, 05:26 PM

1,016 posts, read 3,046,160 times
This is an extension of their religious belief that children are a gift from God. More children = more blessings. By the way, the children seem happy.

As we are a largely secular society by design, it is difficult to understand a family chosing to live in this way. We are very much a "family planning" society (I'm not complaining), so it's deemed "odd" for us to understand a person who not only doesn't use birth control, but welcomes being pregnant non-stop for year after year.

That said, I'm proud to live in a country where both ideals are protected.

Old 01-27-2009, 07:06 PM

631 posts, read 1,879,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beanandpumpkin View Post

Maybe growing up in a large family wasn't "horrible" for them and that's why they are choosing to have a large family themselves.

Old 01-28-2009, 08:32 AM

3,860 posts, read 8,429,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
I look at it this way, if they are not on public assistance of any type, then no one should be telling them to stop having kids. If they can afford to have 18 or 30 children and give them a loving family, then who are you or I to tell them any different.

if anyone wants to complain about birth control and having men get a vasectomy or the woman on the pill or get their tubes tied, then all you have to do is start by looking to all the people getting welfare checks and still having children.

True, but with all of those children how much are they paying in taxes? I highly doubt that they are not claiming those kids on their tax returns. If you claim yourself or your kids on your tax returns, then you're getting help from the government. I'm not saying it's wrong but is what it is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting