U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2007, 04:15 PM

483 posts, read 1,747,276 times

Advertisements

Until 50 years ago, it was common for people to live with their parents until they got married. In some places, like Italy, they still do. People are getting married later, so a 33-year-old who lived with his parents isn't necessarily a loser.

I left home at 22. I could never live with my mother again, but if it works for other people, I'm not going to knock it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2007, 04:25 PM

9 posts, read 28,621 times
Lightbulb Too old to be at home

I believe that a person past 25yrs of age should not still be living with their parents. This does not apply to a parent who is ill or who would not be able to finacialy or physically maintain on their own. That being said, the parent is just as copable as their son/daughter. A parent's job is to teach our children how to function in society. Any adult who is unable to let go of their parent is some how stunted in their growth. That is just MY opinion.

Old 03-03-2007, 08:55 PM

14,506 posts, read 23,191,123 times
Exclamation lol-

Quote:
Originally Posted by YapCity View Post
Ya like my new word? lol

I couldn't think of a word that I liked that fit the description so I improvised

...and MB is probably one of the most "unlosery" people I've met on here. That's not my word, I heard Adam Sandler say that one first.

-TT
Yes- that was the word I would think of to label this person, a mediocre trainer who makes 9.00 an hour at age 33, says he lives at home bcs his ex ruined his life!.

Old 11-27-2007, 10:14 AM

10 posts, read 63,580 times
Default Independence Rules

I have a very strong opinion about adult children living at home or just financially mooching off their parents in general. My 30 year old sister in law went away to college at 18 and returned home at 22 and has not left since.

She went on for her masters in education, taught for one year and decided she hated it. She has now been claiming to return to school for another profession for the past several years, but has not done a thing to pursue it. She works a so-so job and makes OK money. She claims to try and pay her parents rent, but finds the money is put back in her room.

She claims to still live at home because she is there to "help her mother" who has problems walking. Yet, her father is still there. I have yet to see how she "helps her mother" since her laundry is washed, dried and folded, groceries are purchased, cooked and then cleaned up. She has no bills other than a student loan and a car payment. Personally, I think it's an excuse and I have always thought that anyone that is 30 or older and still lives at home is a total looser.

Granted, her mother is an enabler and two out of her three adult children are completely dependent on her and she has made them that way. If they were forced to become financially independent, she'd see them improve drastically. Unfortunately, the enabling continues....and I don't see it ending until her time here does.

Old 11-27-2007, 11:06 AM

8,323 posts, read 13,151,232 times
Adult children living at home... I guess it really depends on the circumstances. If they're in their 20's and going to college, I see no problem using a parent's place over a dorm.

That being said, I'm not trying to bash anybody on this... but an acquaintance of mine's parents paid for all three kids to go to school. Two are still in school and one has graduated. He got a job and got married... but couldn't afford to get a house, so said parents refinanced to put the downpayment on a house that they pay for him to live in. He pays them about half of the total mortgage. Said parents did so because they thought the idea of him renting an apartment was low class.

I moved out of my father's house at 18. I moved in with my mother (I didn't grow up with her, so she was more like a room-mate than a mother).. to experience how taking care of my own place would be like. At 19, I moved out of her place... and got my own place. At 20, I live happily with my hubby and daughter.

Personally, I like all of the freedoms and choices I get to make. It's the greatest feeling to come home to a place that I, myself, decorated with what I wanted.. that I pay for without parental assistance.

Old 11-27-2007, 12:13 PM

Well said Kuhari. I couldn't agree more. Having your own place with your own stuff that you paid for....there's nothing like it...independence, freedom!

Old 11-27-2007, 03:45 PM

1,891 posts, read 5,149,305 times
Unless you are the adult child or the adult parents, I fail to see why you should have any opinion on it at all. If all parties involved are happy with the living arrangement, what's the problem? I'm sure that if the parents wanted the guy out, or alternatively if the guy actually wanted his own life, it would be happening. He (and they) are likely content with the status quo. It's their issue (or not), not mine.

I would think differently if there were obvious abuse and/or one of the parties taking advantage of the situation in a manner unbeknownst to the other, but that doesn't sound to be the case here..

Old 11-27-2007, 03:46 PM

3,589 posts, read 2,976,713 times
When I came back to the USA from the UK, I stayed at my parents' house while I found a job, a car, and a place to live. All in all I was there only a matter of weeks...but god, how I HATED it. I don't see how anyone over 30 can tolerate living with their parents; just staying there a few weeks was pure unadulterated hell. And I get along with my parents!

Old 11-27-2007, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nativeDallasite View Post
When I came back to the USA from the UK, I stayed at my parents' house while I found a job, a car, and a place to live. All in all I was there only a matter of weeks...but god, how I HATED it. I don't see how anyone over 30 can tolerate living with their parents; just staying there a few weeks was pure unadulterated hell. And I get along with my parents!
I could not agree more. I couldn't wait to "go away" to college. There was no way in hell I was going to stay home and go to school. There is no way in hell I could ever think about going back! And I too get along with a love my parents deeply, but their job is done. Children are meant to be raised as independent beings in every way, emotionally, financially, etc. That is the job of a parent. My parents did their job very well. I just hope I can follow in their footsteps. I plan to since I really do not want my children living with me at age 30. I want them to have their own lives, find their own happiness...

Old 11-27-2007, 11:12 PM

2,464 posts, read 5,688,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamofmonterey View Post
Just a general poll. Regarding someone --yes, 33 years old and still lives at home with his parents.
(Exception if the parent is ill, home-bound) It just seems regressive. What does everyone else think?

It depends on one's culture... but in the U.S. living with one's parents is looked down upon. In other countries it's not so unusual.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or