U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2013, 12:09 PM

11,167 posts, read 20,496,363 times

Advertisements

My parents certainly think there's an age when someone should be out. For me, it was 18 and I got out. My sister is 23 and they really want her out (she's away at school but that doesn't count, for them). If they were to be honest with themselves, my father really needs a caregiver.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2013, 05:34 PM

1 posts, read 2,033 times
that depends on where ur from and how you were raised,i dont think ive ever met a new yorker (the brothers and sisters not to mention the ricans)who came up in the 5borrows who stayed at home past the age of 16. for a matter of fact its pretty much the same in chi town too,ur looked at as being a punk ass and a mommas boy for moochiing off ur folks after a certain age in the black household refusing to stand on ur two feet.NOBODY SAID IT WOULD BE EASY!

Old 01-03-2013, 05:45 PM

1,371 posts, read 1,813,110 times
I'm 21 years old and I have no plans on moving out of the house. Ever. Why? I don't believe in this whole idea of kicking kids out just to kick kids out. Some cultures, especially Hispanic and Asian cultures, believe in multiple generations living at home even after the child has married and had children.

Now before anyone accuses me of being a "dud", I work two jobs (yes, TWO), just got a promotion at one of my gigs, I am now upping my hours to 20-28 hours/week AND I go to school part-time. I also help my mom with my younger brothers and chores. I'm hardly a "slacker."

I plan on staying at home with my mom even after graduation, help her pay some bills and put my younger brothers through college as well as continue with grad school. When I am ready to have children, I still plan on staying home. My mom says she would be more than happy with providing "free" daycare services in exchange with continuing to help her pay bills and such.

That's what I call teamwork.

Old 01-03-2013, 05:55 PM

2,094 posts, read 3,057,211 times
For me it was when I became sexually active. I wasn't going to bring guys to my parents house for sex.

Old 01-03-2013, 08:41 PM

227 posts, read 357,280 times
I am 25 years old and still live at home. I make nearly 80 thousand/year, but I do pay rent to help my mother. She wouldn't be afford to live in the house if I didn't live at home.

Old 01-03-2013, 09:11 PM

2,572 posts, read 6,578,767 times
I moved out when I was 17, but my mother was a nutjob. Extenuating circumstances.

My 20 year old son lives at home still. I don't think there is any arbitrary age as long as it is working out for all concerned. I enjoy having my son here. He is respectful, he is expected to do more around here than when he was a minor, he is in school (community college, part time for now) and works for his own spending money and such, helps with the younger siblings, takes care of his own messes, doesn't pull any BS. He is appreciative of the fact that I don't "have" to let him live here and he doesn't take it for granted.

He is working towards moving out though, for his own desires for independence and just feeling like he "should", but there is no push to kick him out just because he turned 18 or whatever.

Then again I was always one of those weird parents who was sad when summer ended and the kids went back to school. I have always preferred time with them to time without.

Old 01-03-2013, 09:54 PM

382 posts, read 645,984 times
A 30 year old should not want to live at home. If he/she does, that person has issues.

Old 01-03-2013, 11:30 PM

30,702 posts, read 33,496,337 times
I keep telling my 22 year old to think about moving out. Not that we don't get along or that he is a slacker or anything (well..he's a slob but that's another story), it's that I'm thinking about a different life for myself. He would be perfectly happy living at home for a long time but I'm the one who may want a change! Plus I don't want him bringing girls home to go into his room to sleep in his twin bed with him. That's just embarassing.

Old 01-04-2013, 02:43 AM

1,865 posts, read 2,116,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HollaGeo View Post
A 30 year old should not want to live at home. If he/she does, that person has issues.
I would say not ALL 30 year olds have issues. In fact, I would say most 30 year olds that live at home do so for financial reasons.
Those who "want to live at home" have many valid reasons for doing so. (Yup, might be that mom makes the best coffee. {I liked it.})
Those with "issues" have as many reasons as those without.
One never knows what lurks behind those closed doors.

My son will be 30 this month and he still lives at home. He HAS issues. He has Asperger's and collects SSI. He does his share around the house - especially since he hardly ever leaves the house.

I love being with him. If he was normal and unmarried I would still let him live with me. Love binds us.

I also never once had the thought, "I can't wait until my child is 18 so he can leave home." I never voiced it either.
I knew someone who constantly told her kids that they were "out the door" on their 18th birthday. They both left home by 16!

I left home at age 19, moved back home at age 21 (for a couple months), lived with a brother and sister-in-law for a few months then got my own place. Then I had one brother move in with me... then another... then my parents. Finally everyone left except one brother and we rented a house together.
When I was 25, my mom moved in with me, my son and my brother. My brother moved in and out of our house for years and then it was just me, mom and my son. We loved being together.

I guess I must be strange since I like living with my family members. Currently I live with my older brother and son. Wouldn't have it any other way.

There really is no definite age limit. Family dynamics play a large role in living arrangements.

Old 01-04-2013, 04:25 AM

5,660 posts, read 4,886,853 times
My parents had a business I helped to build andwork for many years ,after thay retires my brother bought the business and still operates it . He is best suited for it .
I had a wife that didn't get along with them very well so we were in and out a lot .
She never learned grattitud, for all the times my parents helped us make it through tough times .
When Dad lost my mom and was living alone my brother an I would come and visit and help if we could .
Not with out controversy.
Finally having been abandoned by my wife ,I went to help dad in his last years and when he pased all his stuff became mine , my brother didn't need or want any thing and the property was a mess and tons of stuff dad acumulated had /has to be trashed out recycled sold or given away .
A real burden financal and phsyical and emotional struggle.
My son lives only a few miles away, but he is living with his inlaws because of His wifes preference not his.
He liked living with me, and I him .
I don't fault any one living with their parents as long as they are being an advantage to them and not a burden .
Some one simply being a leach, needs to be kicked out now. not later and not when things get bette.
They will never get better, either side will see to it .
At least for a while, but not providing that much information.
I know single mothers that have told their children they are out when they hit 18.
the first one though it was a joke till on his 18th birth day she required his house key.He was out the next day living with a friend then got a job and eventually a place of his own.
After that the rest othe kids took it serious and began planning early,not all because that were mad but because they began to understand mom had a limited income and with out the money to compensate for the one not being supported any more ,other means had to be found .
Any one person being exempt, ment the rest would go with out .
It worked. The kids presured them selves .

Grattitude needs to be earned on all sides of the equasion .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or