Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2009, 04:14 PM

5,384 posts, read 10,869,300 times

Advertisements

What has become of this country when a parent can't look out for their own child? Big Brother is looking out for the RIGHTS of 12 year olds???? Isn't that the parents job?????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2009, 05:42 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,458,432 times
Not in jtur's eyes. Apparently parents are there to provide financially for their children and watch them grow. Everyone has rights and I have not heard one mention of responsibilities. 12 year old brains are apparently equivilant to adults brains. Maybe they should be driving and voting also?

Old 01-01-2009, 06:52 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
If your teenager doesn't trust you enough to tell you what's going on in her life, what are you to do? Demand that the police force her doctor to betray her trust in him? Did somebody mention Big Brother?

Old 01-01-2009, 06:55 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,458,432 times
I sure hope you stretched today - you have done A LOT of leaping!

Old 01-01-2009, 09:18 PM

2,568 posts, read 6,750,868 times
Wow, time to get out of California.

Old 01-02-2009, 10:35 AM

2,825 posts, read 6,926,227 times
I don't know if it's the law or hospital policy or what, but I'm pretty sure that although I have online access to my own and my daughter's medical record, that they do not put things like pregnancy or STD test results on the online record without the patient's consent. I'm pretty sure that I do have access to the rest of the record, but just not to those kinds of certain things. I don't know if there is an age limit, or if the limit is just on the type of information. I'm in NC.

Old 01-02-2009, 02:55 PM

3,257 posts, read 6,127,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maja View Post
I assume this has to do with the "right" of girls to have abortions without their parents' notification as we live in California and this issue was recently on the ballot. (People were trying to overturn it but failed.) This is so incredible to me; especially since I was recently in getting a mammogram and noticed the sign that said that anyone under the age of 18 must be accompanied by a parent or guardian! What in the he** is going on??? Is it just California or is this the same all over the country? I am really interested in hearing from other parents. If you live in California, were you aware of this? If you live out of state, do you know if its the same where you live? Does anyone else think this is the most absurd thing in the world??? I mean we're talking TWELVE YEARS OLD - not even sixteen!
It probably is somewhat about the girls getting abortions and not needing parental notification. 12 yr olds get pregnant so therefore they need that privacy. I imagine if a 12 yr old doesn't want their parent seeing her records than they don't have a great relationship in the first place.

Old 01-02-2009, 11:48 PM

3,927 posts, read 8,668,096 times
This is just mind boggling to me I must admit....if a parent is financially responsible as well as responsible for that child until she is legally 18, that parent should have the right to all medical records.....

and a question, if a 12 year old gets pregnant and has an abortion, who pays for it???? I mean, since the parents do not know, where does the money come from?

I totally agree, Big Brother is coming to take away all rights...

Old 01-02-2009, 11:49 PM

3,927 posts, read 8,668,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taboo2 View Post
It probably is somewhat about the girls getting abortions and not needing parental notification. 12 yr olds get pregnant so therefore they need that privacy. I imagine if a 12 yr old doesn't want their parent seeing her records than they don't have a great relationship in the first place.
yet this same 12 year old still EXPECTS her parents to feed her, clothe her, give her money, etc????? Not in my house and I don't care who does not like it..

Old 01-03-2009, 12:55 AM

25,464 posts, read 13,574,744 times
Unhappy Big Brother and Big Sister???

I do not believe that it is the child that is making these laws. Therefore it is not the lack of communication between parent and child causing this problem. To me it is another example of lawmakers and extreme liberal voters pushing these laws on unsuspecting citizens. Think about it. How many years ago was it in the child's best interest to have parental control over anything to do with the upbringing of their children?

Granted, there may be, are some parents that do not show good judgment when it concerns their child/children. However I am quite sure that the majority of parents have always done the best for these children. To allow our government to have this type of say so over how we raise our offspring is ludicrous. Since when does anyone have complete control of what is best for them? Let alone a 12 year old child. Someone is always enlightening us about the proper care we should be receiving or giving.

I refuse to believe that a stranger knows more about my child than I do. What is next? All of our children right down from the time they are born being controlled by someone other than ourselves? Will we next have to be tested to see if we should have children? I personally have witnessed a few people that I have wondered about and seriously doubted that they should ever have mated and produced offspring. But, hey, that is not my decision. This is not the type of world we want. Or is it? Think about it for a bit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting