Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2010, 06:43 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,741,423 times

Advertisements

I haven't read through the entire thread, but this is what I did with my son. We stood a foot a part and I tossed the ball right into his glove so he could 'catch' it. We did this for awhile until he felt confidant. We moved a step further apart and did it again.

It took awhile but patience made it happen. The best part was my son learned a great lesson from this. It took both of us a lot of time and patience, and he went from being scared to being confidant. The best part is whenever he is not feeling he can accomplish something, I remind him of learning how to catch a baseball.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2010, 12:38 PM

652 posts, read 2,663,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foreverking View Post
still cant catch worth a hoot, but we have moved on to electronic sets that he and I put together...found a father son bonding activity.
That is awesome! My son (8) and husband have recently started model rockets. It still gets him outside but working with mechanical stuff which he loves.

If you are still trying to work on the catching thing..... I agree with the poster that made the comment about it being more important than just play.
Does your son have a problem with coordination, fine or gross motor skills? If it is just an interest thing, obviously there are other ways to build perception, reflexes, etc....

my son has a problem with all three things I mentioned. It took us 6mos to teach him to ride a bike. He can catch a baseball now, but not thrown hard. I became frustrated and fun went out the door, so I gave up. My daughter (13) took over. she played silly games with him. one being: she started with the big bouncy balls. stood in front of our big house and he had to try and hit her with the ball. if it bounced off the house and he caught it she would play the WII with him for 5min for each catch. she normally didnt play with him so that was a big motivator. anyway, that is how it started. now they toss around a softball without glove (he still cant use one) I have noticed older kids seem to have a way with getting younger kids to do things.

Old 04-21-2010, 02:44 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,164,079 times
my son had some trouble catching on his t-ball team last summer. We found out a couple months later that he was practically blind in one eye. He had no depth perception. We're anxious to see how t-ball goes this year.

Old 04-21-2010, 02:49 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,047,114 times
When my son was small, I used to ask him to go have a chase, since he couldn't throw the ball accurately.

Now, by all means, DO NOT SISSY HIM!

Make sure he gets bruises. That way, he'll start using his glove to at least block the ball.

Old 04-21-2010, 03:51 PM

1,226 posts, read 2,372,929 times
before you start using a glove, take an empty milk gallon, and cut it diagnally from the top of the handle down. Have them practice catching with that. It is easier, and it build hand/eye coordination. When they are comfortable with that, then move on to a glove, and reward when they actually make contact, don't even aim for a "catch". When that is consistent, the rest will come.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting