Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2009, 01:45 PM

1,636 posts, read 4,229,188 times

Advertisements

Yes this might effect the "small' person but this is a GREAT thing! I have been against the selling of childrens toys that contain Lead, BPA, PVC and Pathalates for a long time now! It was so hard to find safe toys! Other countries have either NEVER allowed unsafe children's toys or changed recently too! Someone said tests HAVEN'T been done to prove these things are unsafe, well they are crazy!

If you look at the big picture, this is a good thing. Oh well, some crafters or garage sale people can't sell UNSAFE stuff!

I remember my gradeschool didn't allow homemade baked goods to be braught in for like birthdays and what not. They had to be store baught to be ensured that the food passed inspection and was safe.

This is the same thing! There are toys that were re-called for MANY reasons that SHOULDN'T have been sold in stores, let along in your garage.

I am so glad to hear this. Hopefully by my next child ALL of these unsafe things NOT NEEDED to make children's toys will altogether be gone!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2009, 02:03 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
This is an EMERGENCY law, going into effect less than 6 months after signing it, with no grandfather provisions. It even covers used books. This will be a shootin' war if they try to enforce it.

The Consumer Product Safety Improvement Act of 2008 is a US law signed on August 14, 2008 by President George W. Bush. The legislative bill was known as HR 4040, sponsored by Congressman Bobby Rush.* The law—public law 110-314—increases the budget of the Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC), imposes new testing and documentation requirements, and sets new acceptable levels of several substances. It imposes new requirements on manufacturers of apparel, shoes, personal care products, accessories and jewelry, home furnishings, bedding, toys, electronics and video games, books, school supplies, educational materials and science kits. The Act also increases fines and specifies jail time for some violations.

*http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bobby_Rush

Old 01-07-2009, 03:49 PM

14 posts, read 39,312 times
The only people who'll be able to afford the exhaustive and expensive testing are THE BIG NAME BRANDS. $400- $4,000 per each item to get tested and certified? Those costs in turn will be reflected in the products' prices...they'll go up. I bet this was pushed by those jackasses because the consignment / 2nd hand industry was hurting their money flow.

Good ole Uncle Sam never stops thinking of ways to screw over the working class....
And when has anyone heard of a piece of clothing having lead?

And they won't be patrolling every dang thrift store or garage sale or independent toy maker---Highly publicized enforcement, it already works, and the 1-800-get-even hotline with cash payouts, been doing it for decades. AND you got your neighbors who may think this is a safety law to protect children from toxins.
"How could you sell those illegal items you criminal?!!"

Old 01-07-2009, 03:59 PM

14 posts, read 39,312 times
I guess fishermen are REAL scumbags, for using fishing weights made entirely of lead.

FYI, GOLD is toxic in the same quantities as lead, better ban that too.

Old 01-08-2009, 01:22 AM

6,066 posts, read 15,049,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miasmommy View Post
Yes this might effect the "small' person but this is a GREAT thing! I have been against the selling of childrens toys that contain Lead, BPA, PVC and Pathalates for a long time now! It was so hard to find safe toys! Other countries have either NEVER allowed unsafe children's toys or changed recently too! Someone said tests HAVEN'T been done to prove these things are unsafe, well they are crazy!

If you look at the big picture, this is a good thing. Oh well, some crafters or garage sale people can't sell UNSAFE stuff!

I remember my gradeschool didn't allow homemade baked goods to be braught in for like birthdays and what not. They had to be store baught to be ensured that the food passed inspection and was safe.

This is the same thing! There are toys that were re-called for MANY reasons that SHOULDN'T have been sold in stores, let along in your garage.

I am so glad to hear this. Hopefully by my next child ALL of these unsafe things NOT NEEDED to make children's toys will altogether be gone!
Ditto. I know it's going to be a challenge initially for probably a lot of people, but it will enlighten so many more. For all those who seriously want to create goods for children, they will learn safer, healthier ways of doing so.

Every day I learn more and more about the things we buy and the effect these purchases have on our environment and our health. I just learned yesterday the damage that the massive demand for cashmere has done to the environment! I love cashmere... but I won't be buying any new cashmere sweaters. I'll cherish the ones I have and hope they last forever. It's creating all kinds of problems in China - where it comes from. We need to lessen the demand quickly in a very serious way.

Old 01-08-2009, 02:57 AM

6,025 posts, read 15,345,799 times
I normally don't visit this section, but the title caught my eye

I guess I'm confused about something here and would like verification. so last year, a bunch of big businesses produced toys that were made in China and declared unsafe for various reasons, including high amounts of lead, right? so a bunch of people here in the states have produced homemade toys from safer materials in response to this (though many have been doing this long before). so, if I'm reading articles about this law correctly, w/ this new law, it will become close to impossible for these home grown businesses to operate, yet the big businesses, ie, the ones that stared the whole mess in the first place, will be able to afford the costs (likely not w/o increasing prices for the consumers) and still be able to make their goods in China, so long as it's tested for lead and deemed ok. is this for real? yeah, great for safety reasons, but it looks like it's going to only profit the businesses that created the mess and hurt the home grown businesses that offered a safety net of sorts from these products.

seems like a "one step forward, two steps backwards" type of deal to me

Old 01-08-2009, 05:53 AM

1,986 posts, read 4,066,982 times
I think this is being blown way out of proportion. Nothing will ever stop people from acquiring used baby items. If they can't be sold, then they should be traded. I have never heard anything about babies and children dropping dead because of lead in their clothes. When purchasing used items, they should be washed anyway.

Maybe in the future, instead of seeing for sale, you will see trade shops or something equivalent, where people take and trade. Anyway, I'm sure the home yard sales and garage sales are safe from the heavy hand of government.

It's sad if the smaller manufacturers are hindered by this, but they will find a way of surviving. They always do.

Old 01-08-2009, 06:19 AM

3,644 posts, read 10,940,609 times
The most likely scenario is that this law will be repealed. The mainstream media will run some stories focusing on some Iraq War widow in Idaho barely getting by as she supports her 3 kids under age 5 by selling kid's stuff on ebay. There will be a public outcry... the loudest being those who voted for this law.

It will be amended to state it only applies to vendors selling over a certain amount of items per year.

BTW... I think that the school's no longer allowing kids to bring in homemade cupcakes for their birthdays is carp. If your child is so allergic to something that touching a surface that a child who has eaten a cupcake, made in a pan that once touched a peanut will kill them, then perhaps a public school is not the best place for them. (Allergies are the reasoning behind these rules, not food safety or fear of lead poisoning)

These ridiculous measures and laws, made to protect the 3 out of a 1000 children whose parents are too busy to teach them to not touch other people's food, or to watch them themselves are the reason everything is so expensive. Schools spend more $$ trying to obey this carp... I recently enrolled my kids in an online charter school (it's considered public school and is NO COST to us)... among the supplies each of my kids will be getting (aside from textbooks and workbooks, internet reimbursement, field trip $$ in amount of $100/yr) will be a microscope, a computer, printer/fax/scanner/copier/a few musical instruments/, meter sticks, an wooden abacus, beakers, petri dishes, art supplies (butcher paper, paint, brushes), plants, pots... the list goes on and on. The only supplies that I have to provide are white copy paper, printer ink, spiral notebooks, pens, pencils and crayons. How on earth can a public school provide this (plus shipping!) to EACH of their students? Well, they don't have to deal with "those parents"!

The field trip $$ cracks me up... the brick and mortar schools charge US for those!

BTW... if this is going to apply to the SALE of used books, then shouldn't it also have to apply to LENDING of used books? I mean if a book isn't safe for me to BUY for my child, then certainly my child should be prevented... oops I mean PROTECTED by the government from borrowing one!

Can anyone say "Farenheit 451"?!

Old 01-08-2009, 10:41 AM

1,820 posts, read 4,492,794 times
I have to say that I agree with this law, if it can be enforced.
Why should it be okay for companies to recall items because they are unsafe, and instead of people bringing them back to the stores, they bring them to those consignment shops, try to make a little money off of them or they bring them to the thrift stores where other people are going to purchase them and endanger their own children?
I has never made sense to me....

I do feel bad for those small business owners,those that own the thrift stores or those consignment shops. I also feel bad for the families that do rely on the Thrift stores for their sources of clothing,etc.. Those that truly cannot afford to purchase items new.
Unfortunately, for those who can afford it and just like to save a little money or make a little money (at the consignment shops) , oh well. Such is life.
Better to be safe than sorry I suppose.
Wonder what they will do with all those horrible clothes that Walmart sells? Those clothes with all that Hannah Montanna Bedazzle,etc... those little sparkly beads they put all over the little girls clothing are probably filled with lead or other unsuspecting things.

It will be interesting to see if this really passes and is able to be enforced in the way that it is intended.

Old 01-08-2009, 02:59 PM

1,105 posts, read 4,570,612 times
I am torn. I think that in theory this is a good thing as something has to be done about the hazardous items being bought and sold in the US. It appears that it goes to far though. Clothing, IMO, shouldn't be part of the ban and items should be fazed out.

Oh, also wanted to add, selling the used items in and of itself isn't exactly enforceable, at least easily, the problem will be liability. If you sell something at a garage sale that technically you shouldn't, it opens the door for a lawsuit against you. I imagine it will be easily enforceable for the manufacturers. As I understand it, it is illegal to make and sell items in the US that has over a certain amount of lead in it. The problem is there isn't anyone out there testing the items. Now it is going to be the companies responsibility to make sure that every item is certified, or at least that is the way I understand it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting