Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2009, 04:11 PM

14 posts, read 39,306 times

Advertisements

The government doesn't give a whit's butt about children's safety. If they cared about kid's health they wouldn't give them all the vaxes containing mercury and aluminum which do cause brain damage. And they wouldn't be putting flouride in the water. These are just small examples.

This is gonna affect the grandmothers who sew clothes for the local farmer's market to make a living, the stay-at-home moms who make toys to pay the bills, Goodwill, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2009, 06:50 PM

2,825 posts, read 6,925,589 times
I just read that they put out an amendment on this law today that would exempt certain items, including clothing. Also toys that are made of natural components like certain fabrics or wood. And that resellers such as thrift stores will be exempt from having to test their merchandise, but would still not be allowed to sell something that has more than X amount of lead in it. I'm pretty sure that they are already not allowed to sell recalled products, so I guess this would just include products that are known to contain lead also.

So I think that's pretty good news!

Old 01-08-2009, 08:09 PM

339 posts, read 1,518,365 times
Perhaps the urgency with this law has to do with recent links between heavy metals and Autism. I can't remember the exact links where I have seen this, but if I happen upon them again I can come back and post them. Or you can just google "heavy metals" and "Autism" and you'll probably find some things about it.

Old 01-08-2009, 11:05 PM

6,025 posts, read 15,344,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADVentive View Post
I just read that they put out an amendment on this law today that would exempt certain items, including clothing. Also toys that are made of natural components like certain fabrics or wood. And that resellers such as thrift stores will be exempt from having to test their merchandise, but would still not be allowed to sell something that has more than X amount of lead in it. I'm pretty sure that they are already not allowed to sell recalled products, so I guess this would just include products that are known to contain lead also.

So I think that's pretty good news!
that definitely lightens the blow, though the details of this law still seem very iffy for something that's gonna go into effect in a couple of months

Old 01-09-2009, 04:06 AM

25,080 posts, read 16,326,850 times
Glory be... What is good will going to do and what are all the people going to do who use these places to assist them in cleaning out their closets? My mom calls Salvation Army at least once a month if not twice to pick up clothing she can no longer use. I don't think this law is environmentally sound. More people will throw things away rather than recycled them.

Old 01-09-2009, 08:18 AM

3,855 posts, read 13,267,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by c99 View Post
This broad-reaching, ineffective bill that has the potential to create economic hardship for citizens and small busineeses is the last thing this country needs right now.
Couldn't have said it better myself. This is absolutely one of the most outrageous laws/bills/whatever I've ever seen. The government is attempting to put a strangle hold on people who need the money the most. Big brother needs to take a step back.

Old 01-09-2009, 09:11 AM

21 posts, read 73,288 times
Here's a link for an article today in the LA Times concering the lead testing. Lead testing law won't apply to thrift stores - Los Angeles Times

Here's the lead in - "After a barrage of complaints, federal regulators shifted gears Thursday and said they would no longer require that used children's clothing, toys and other items sold at secondhand stores be tested for lead."

Ummm - yeah...clearly this wasn't going to fly.

Old 01-09-2009, 10:18 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,968,624 times
Try to put danger into perspective. If a typical low-income family has to spend $100 more on new clothes because the door is closed to the thrift shop, that is $100 less the family has to spend on nutritious food, with junk food or convenience food substituted for it. Sugary colored water instead of juice. Which, overall, is a greater threat to our children? As far as I know, not a single child has died, or even required medical attention, because of exposure in recent years to store-bought clothing.

Lead is still a risk, with 4% of American children testing for elevated lead levels, but virtually all of them get their exposure from living in or frequenting houses that still have lead-based paint, built before 1977. If we don't stop these shrieking morons now, they will force us to demolish every single house and building constructed before 1977---which would actually make more sense than this stupid law.

There are people who would spend trillions of dollars to save the life of one child. While turn9ng a blind eye to our national obesity rate, which is over 30%. A third of all children will have their lives shortened by years or decades because of their diet, which can be repaired without spending a cent, if dopes like Bobby Rush would wage a war against real threats.

Last edited by jtur88; 01-09-2009 at 10:32 AM..

Old 01-09-2009, 10:51 AM

3,191 posts, read 9,183,128 times
OP thanks for posting this. I don't catch a lot of news. I hope you posted something under politics- didn't check there for this topic.

Becca thanks for the link, it is real busy can't get on it...are they going to relax this for the self employed, crafters ,hobbyists etc. that work from home? I can't begin to imagine the number of cottage industries that could be closed!

This is the most insane thing I had ever heard in all my years breathing!! Does the government have any idea how many people this will affect? So many depend on thrift shopping, and some of us just happen to enjoy it!!! And how many moms make a little extra reselling outgrown clothes, toys, etc??
Wht about people that like to buy stuff form craft shows, etc. that prefer not to spend money with the Big businesses. Where is OUR choice?!?

This is just horrible. We have survived for years without this type of governmnetal interference. but I guess we better get used to it, huh...welcome big brother. For crying out loud, I venture to guess that 99.9% of everything humans come in contact with has some degree of possilbe harm, be it form ingredient or use.

What they should do is be more concerned about foods and others stuffs directly llinked to ill-health and obesity.. And impose a luxury tax on 'junk' foods, and all those gadgets that keep kids butts glued to the sofa!

I am disgusted by this...I want to go read more. And call those nuts in DC.

Old 01-10-2009, 08:05 AM

3,644 posts, read 10,939,818 times
As far as I know, not a single child has died, or even required medical attention, because of exposure in recent years to store-bought clothing

Great point... the last I heard of a death by clothing, it was brand new clothing, 1999, and it was completetly avoidable. Had the parents of those children washed their children's clothing before putting the clothes on the kids, then the formaldehyde (sp?) wouldn't have seeped into their skin.

On another post, I sarcastically suggested public libraries would be shut down Fahrenheit 451-style... I wasn't really suggesting they should, but apparently books in libraries (public and school) will be tested! Ridiculous!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting